uniFi WiFi AP: wifi channels and overlap

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:54 pm
kw123 offline

uniFi WiFi AP: wifi channels and overlap

I bought 3 APs and it looks that my house is too small for 3 - as I can not return them, I need a bigger house. :!:

Had all 3 setup as zero handshake. That sets all of them on to channel 1 (and 36 for 5GHz), with no option to change it.
When looking at signal strength for channel 1 in several places in the house all 3 APs are present on with roughly the same signal strength (~ -55dBm). That is probably not good...

Changed one of the 2 GHZ AP to fixed channel 11 HIGH power output and removed it from zero handover and moving the others a little bit to better cover the range
Then put some non movable devices (2 cameras and 2rPi) onto channel 11 on that AP. Now it seems to run much better.

The 5 GHz channels do not have that problem as their range is much smaller.

Also my son has a chromecast that sets up its own wifi signal on channel 1 - its gone now. That helped too.

The ping time for wireless devices are now 1-50 msec and only rarely > 200msec. It naturally depends on the siganl/noise ratio at that position.

Just in case you run into that kind of problem

Karl

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:06 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: uniFi WiFi AP: wifi channels and overlap

Had all 3 setup as zero handshake. That sets all of them on to channel 1 (and 36 for 5GHz), with no option to change it.

Setting as zero handshake doesn't force you into a particular channel - you can change it in the WiFi setup in the controller (just you have to set it for the group, not on individual devices obviously).

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:11 pm
Bollar offline

Have you tried ditching zero handoff and setting the channels manually? Given the interference, and the model AP you're using, you should get better results.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm
kw123 offline

Right now I am happy. Every thing works fine

I can't find the place where I can change the channel for the group. Could you point me to the screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:07 pm
Bollar offline

kw123 wrote:
Right now I am happy. Every thing works fine

I can't find the place where I can change the channel for the group. Could you point me to the screen?

Look at page 21 of the Unifi Controller V5 manual. It shows a setting called "mobility" under settings: wireless networks. Having said that, I'm unable to see it.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:15 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Have you tried ditching zero handoff and setting the channels manually? Given the interference, and the model AP you're using, you should get better results.

Mine is perfectly seamless and I have no reason to change -- but I don't have a huge overlap of coverage either. I have an unused one that I haven't bothered to put up for fear of introducing some issues -- probably will end up mounting it in my shop to better cover that area (though one does get connection there, it is a relatively weak signal).

What controller version? On mine I go to Settings -> Wireless Networks -> [Select the Proper WLAN Group] -> Options (NOT the edit on the individual SSID entries, the one by the WLAN Group).

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 pm
Bollar offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Mine is perfectly seamless and I have no reason to change

I was referring to Karl, not you. Your APs support zero handoff, so I would expect satisfactory results.

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I was referring to Karl, not you. Your APs support zero handoff, so I would expect satisfactory results.

Ahh, gotcha. I thought you guys had already worked all that out on another thread. Can't keep them straight sometimes!

I just updated my controller not long ago - need to see if the controller API works now as I would be more interested in that than accessing the AP's directly as Karl does.

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 pm
Bollar offline

Here it is. Click on the pencil and you can see the setting
Attachments
unifi.jpg
unifi.jpg (101.05 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 pm
kw123 offline

got it :oops:

Page 1 of 1