Devices getting renamed

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:32 pm
Ramias offline

Devices getting renamed

Not sure what causes this. Perhaps when my phone or AppleTv tries to connect but the HomeKit service isn't running on my Mac. And my devices lose their names. I can rename them with the Home app (not the ios10 Apple one, but the one for sale in the app store) and it persists, until it doesn't.

I have devices with certain names in Indigo but I'd like them named something else for HomeKit.

Any chance this request (assuming others have a similar ask) can be added to a future rev where renames could happen in the actual config file?

if it is just me with the request then of course I understand.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:56 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Devices getting renamed

I have a similar but not as awkward issue: twice now but more than a month apart, things assigned to rooms have become unassigned and put back in Default Room. This happened yesterday with no interruptions to HomeBridge, with my ATV staying on, and no internet interruptions I'm aware of.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:09 pm
akimball offline

I always wonder if this is something that could be handled with the "Global Property Manager" plugin.
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=13299&hilit=global+property+manager
Give all the devices a property like "HomeKitDeviceName" and then set each device name as needed. But then HomeKit would need to look for "HomeKitDeviceName" instead of "DeviceName"... perhaps it looks for "HomeKitDeviceName" first then looks for "DeviceName". I have no idea how to get homekit to do that, if at all possible. Just an idea.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:51 pm
durosity offline

+1 on defining the names (and possibly the rooms/zones that they default to if home kit supports such a thing) - then if needed resetting home kit wouldn't involve the pain of having to rename and position different devices

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:29 pm
Ramias offline

Just bumping this back to the top as it has happened again.

It would be nice if I could assign device names/rooms outside of the Home app on my phone (similar to how we define type/"TreatAs" for some but not all device types today).

The Global Property Manager would be a good way to do this it seems, but yes, that would require some work on the homekit-indigo side of things... Or I could do it in the config.json file; that is fine too.

Not complaining! Just trying to help make this the best plugin ever.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:29 pm
webdeck offline

Changing the device names would be doable, but there is no way to assign HomeKit rooms outside of doing it on the iOS device.

-Mike

Page 1 of 1