Question: homebridge + plugin vs. Insteon HomeKit hub

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:45 pm
blysik offline

Question: homebridge + plugin vs. Insteon HomeKit hub

Hi,

I have a bunch of Insteon dimmer switches, plus the Insteon HomeKit hub. One problem I've run into is that if I manually flick a switch, the hub/Insteon+ app have no idea what the state of the switch is. I opened an Insteon support bug, and just posted in their forum: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-cat ... h-manually

If I switched to Indigo + homebridge plugin, would I have a better experience? Will Indigo + homebridge recognize when I change a switch state at manually?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:19 pm
rehafer offline

Re: Question: homebridge + plugin vs. Insteon HomeKit hub

blysik wrote:
Hi,

I have a bunch of Insteon dimmer switches, plus the Insteon HomeKit hub. One problem I've run into is that if I manually flick a switch, the hub/Insteon+ app have no idea what the state of the switch is. I opened an Insteon support bug, and just posted in their forum: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-cat ... h-manually

If I switched to Indigo + homebridge plugin, would I have a better experience? Will Indigo + homebridge recognize when I change a switch state at manually?

Thanks!

I use Homebridge and Indigo and every thing stays well synced.
A should definitely know when a connected switch is turned on manually.
What doesn't work is Indigo and an Insteon hub, devices only report back to the initiating hub; so throwing things out of sync quickly.
I tend to all the "smarts" (triggers, schedules and such) in Indigo and use HomeKit/Siri via Homebridge as a front end.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:21 pm
blysik offline

So if I ditched the Insteon Hub, and switched entirely to Indigo + homebridge, everything should work fine?

How is your Siri control experience? Even at the best of times, it seems spotty for doing the right thing currently.

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

blysik wrote:

The problem with their hub has nothing to do with homekit/homebridge- it's just that it doesn't maintain state. Indigo does, so when you manually operate a switch Indigo knows about it an updates it's internal state which is reflected in the Indigo Mac UI as well as Indigo Touch (and any logic in the Indigo Server). You will need to dump the hub and get a PowerLinc 2413U.

I can't speak to homebridge - that's a 3rd party solution which I don't currently use.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:03 pm
blysik offline

Not keeping state seems like a horrible design decision. I can't find my 2413U, so I just ordered a new one from Amazon, same day shipping. Back to Indigo. :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

blysik wrote:
Not keeping state seems like a horrible design decision.

Welcome back, and you won't get any argument from us... :)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1