Window Coverings?

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:29 am
Ramias offline

Window Coverings?

I saw this mentioned in the now-locked thread.

Would love to see discrete device type options for Window Coverings; or "TreatAsWindowCoverings" in the plugin.

I think that would allow for natural language commands to open/close my window shades. With Alexa, I have to say "turn on Windows".

FWIW, I have Lutron shades connected with the Lutron Radio RA2 plugin. Sort of treated like dimmers with 100% meaning "100% light aka open all the way".

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:01 am
durosity offline

Re: Window Coverings?

Webdeck did mention interest in expanding on this when indigo 7 launches. I'd very much love this as I've started motorising all my blinds and curtains

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:14 am
durosity offline

On a side note to that I've been trying my hand at making a simple plugin to allow easier configuration of the included devices, and treat as items it can be done in a UI. Early days but fingers crossed I'll get it working soon :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:46 pm
webdeck offline

I hate the "treatAs" hacks, but several people have asked for window coverings, so I will add it when I have a moment.

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 am
durosity offline

Why do you hate it?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 pm
webdeck offline

durosity wrote:
Why do you hate it?

The software engineer in me hates it because it makes the code and configuration messier. :roll:

Posted on
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:34 pm
webdeck offline

I just released an update with support for windows and window coverings. See the announcement for details on how to upgrade: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=16452

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:23 am
durosity offline

webdeck wrote:
durosity wrote:
Why do you hate it?

The software engineer in me hates it because it makes the code and configuration messier. :roll:

Heheh fair enough.. although the OCD in me loves it because saying "Siri, turn on the bedroom blinds" just sounds wrong.. I'm worried my phone will start trying to do a sexy dance for it someday ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 pm
Ramias offline

Thank you for doing this.

I can confirm it works as I expected for individual shades.

But here's my setup:

My office has two windows. I have each shade set up in Homekit - Office Window Left and Office Window Right and things work (when I have them listed under treatasWindowCoverings, and they show up as window coverings. So I can say "open Office Window Right" and it opens.

I also have a virtual switch in Indigo that calls an action that opens both windows for ON and closes both for Off.

If I map this virtual switch to homekit it shows up as, well, an on/off switch, even if I put the ID of this as "treatAsWindowCoverings". Probably because the virtual switch is not a virtual dimmer.

So scratch the virtual switch for now...

I then put the two shades, left and right, into a group called "Office Shades" but Siri commands for "open office shades" don't seem to do anything with this group.

Request: I'd like to be able to say "Siri, Open office shades" and have both windows open at the same time. I'm using the "Home" app on my iPhone to manage Homekit. How can I do this?

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm
durosity offline

The way I've done this for my blinds in my lounge is to have a trigger in indigo setup to watch the right window blind for any changes and then apply that change to the left one. I do it with a short Python script to execute either an open or close rather than having two seperate triggers, but it's up to you as how to best implement it!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:36 pm
webdeck offline

A virtual device should work as a window covering, even though it isn't a dimmer. homebridge-indigo will treat off as 0% (closed) and on as 100% (open), and will map any % greater than zero as on.

Double-check your config.json to make sure you have the right ID and the correct syntax (you can copy/paste it over at http://jsonlint.com to validate its syntax. Also, don't forget that you have to restart homebridge if you make any config changes.

Posted on
Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am
Ramias offline

Double checked and triple checked. My Virtual Switch still shows up as an on/off switch even though it is listed (along with two others, that do show up correctly) on the "treatAsWindowCoverings" line.

Posted on
Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:45 am
webdeck offline

Ramias wrote:
Double checked and triple checked. My Virtual Switch still shows up as an on/off switch even though it is listed (along with two others, that do show up correctly) on the "treatAsWindowCoverings" line.

Can you copy/paste your config.json (or send me a private message) along with the homebridge log file (output)?

Posted on
Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm
Ramias offline

And I suppose I should have quadruple checked :)

Yes, the ID was on the include line and treatAsWindowCoverings line. But surprise; it was also on the treatAsSwitch line (probably from previous config attempts). Of course, removing it from there allowed the WindowCovering line to work correctly and now my virtual switch shows up as a shade and can be controlled with Siri appropriately.

Thanks again for helping with this.

Page 1 of 1