All devices turned off

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:57 pm
DVDDave offline

All devices turned off

Homebridge has been chugging along nicely for a while now (as has the Alexa-Hue plugin) but a strange thing happened the other day. It was noisy in the room and Alexa was having problems hearing me so I tried telling Siri to turn off one of my devices. Then all of my devices turned off one by one. My Indigo log shows a bunch of off commands originating from my web server address 127.0.0.1 so I know it's not coming from the Echo.. Presumably, Siri heard something she interpreted as a request to turn off everything.

I would like to prevent this from happening again but I'm not sure what actually triggered the actions. Is there any log where I can see what command Siri was given? Is there some command that Siri uses for this purpose and, if so, can it be inhibited?

Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:31 pm
durosity offline

Re: All devices turned off

I had that happen when turning on a device, Siri asked if I wanted all on but must've done it when I was still talking because suddenly everything turned on one at a time. At 3am. When the wife was asleep. And the sister-in-law was staying over. And the doorbell also went. On a Sunday night with work the next day. And because there was a brief delay between each command to Indigo i suddenly realised what was happening with no way to stop it. My eyes were wide with panic.... Let's just say I wasn't the most popular person in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:08 pm
DVDDave offline

Whoa! Much better to have things turn off. Too bad Apple hasn't built more flexibility into Siri and HomeKit to disable commands like that.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 pm
durosity offline

Or at least come up saying "are you really sure? Think of the children, won't someone please think of the children!?"

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 8:02 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I've had this happen to me a number of times now, if I get the name of the device wrong then Homekits solution seems to be to turn everything on in the house. It's very frustrating because I have so many devices and scripts that every time this happens Indigo pretty much pegs my server for 10-15 minutes and then I spend another 5-10 turning off everything again.

How homekit decides "turn on soffit light" (which should have been "turn on soffit outlet") to "turn on everything connected to Indigo" is a mystery to me.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am
nev offline

I don't know where the easiest spot is to apply this "catch", but what do you think?

Apple - the will do what they want, so no luck there
Homebridge Developers - enhancement request for a limit in the json file to the # of devices commands that can be sent at one time (if over that #, then nothing happens)
Indigo-Homebridge plugin - enhancement request for a limit in the json file to the # of devices commands that can be sent at one time (if over that #, then nothing happens)
Indigo - enhancement request for a limited # of device commands to be sent within 2 seconds? I like this one the least.

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2016 10:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

nev wrote:
Indigo - enhancement request for a limited # of device commands to be sent within 2 seconds? I like this one the least.

Nope.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2016 10:34 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

LMAO, that's an awesome answer. Being a developer myself I can understand how "Nope." translates as "Way too much has to change in the program to support this 3rd party plugin request and could break other stuff and cause a ton of coding headaches for us".

I agree that it would be nice if the homekit stuff could be controlled a bit more but it is a 3rd party app so changing Indigo seems a bit out there.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat May 21, 2016 11:25 pm
webdeck offline

Yeah, I'll have to agree with "nope" on this one. Apple is the right place to fix this, to make Siri ask for confirmation.

-Mike

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2016 4:48 am
durosity offline

Roll on iOS 10...

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1