HomeKit losing Connection

Posted on
Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:55 pm
jamboinafrica offline

I am having repeated issues with my HomeKit losing the connection to homebridge and then forcing me to delete the homebridge device and then re-add to the setup again. This is obviously inconvenient as I have 80+ devices then to allocate to the relevant rooms in the house and also requires me to reset all of my HomeKit scenes.

The connection can last anywhere from several hours to several days and I am yet to find a consistent reason for the loss of connection. It almost always occurs when I stop and restart the homebridge app to add new devices but there have been numerous other times where there is no rhyme nor reason for it dropping out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
JIA

PS when it works, it is fantastic to have Siri work with my indigo setup - great piece of work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:11 am
webdeck offline

Re: HomeKit losing Connection

jamboinafrica wrote:
I am having repeated issues with my HomeKit losing the connection to homebridge and then forcing me to delete the homebridge device and then re-add to the setup again. This is obviously inconvenient as I have 80+ devices then to allocate to the relevant rooms in the house and also requires me to reset all of my HomeKit scenes.

The connection can last anywhere from several hours to several days and I am yet to find a consistent reason for the loss of connection. It almost always occurs when I stop and restart the homebridge app to add new devices but there have been numerous other times where there is no rhyme nor reason for it dropping out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
JIA

PS when it works, it is fantastic to have Siri work with my indigo setup - great piece of work!

Odd. I haven't seen that behavior, and I've restarted my whole server multiple times. Are there any errors in the homebridge output? What kind of server are you running it on? Make sure you don't delete the persist directory in ~/.homebridge - that's where homebridge remembers all of the HomeKit bindings.

-Mike

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:34 am
jamboinafrica offline

No errors in the homebridge output at all and the devices are all still there in my iOS apps, just can't communicate with them (greyed out in the Insteon+ app for example). My server is a 2013 Mac mini running El Capitan.

I have not deleted the persists folder but have been tempted on occasion to try a new install and copy the old persists back across...

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:27 am
nev offline

yea I have been running into this as well. It happens so often that I have an Indigo Action Group that kills and restarts homebridge. Then it all comes back. I have feeling its something to do with the frequency of "heartbeats" homebridge pushes out. If I leave the app open, sometimes it will come back and all devices will connect again, but most of the time, i use my restart button as i described.

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:18 am
jamboinafrica offline

Unfortunately killing and restarting homebridge doesn't work for me...

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:54 am
webdeck offline

What HomeKit enabled app are you using?

I'm also assuming you have your server setup so that it doesn't sleep, right?

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:02 am
nev offline

I use one called Home for iOS.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/home-smart ... 94352?mt=8

As for the server, yea it is up 100% of the time. Its a MacPro running a lot of other stuff like Plex and its also hooked unto the TV for my media center.

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 pm
webdeck offline

nev wrote:
I use one called Home for iOS.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/home-smart ... 94352?mt=8

As for the server, yea it is up 100% of the time. Its a MacPro running a lot of other stuff like Plex and its also hooked unto the TV for my media center.

That's the same app I use. It could be something messed up with your iCloud account. Try following the instructions here to reset everything:

http://www.imore.com/did-your-homekit-home-disappear-heres-how-reset-homekit-sync

-Mike

Posted on
Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:32 pm
DGJ offline

I'm having a similar issue but only after the 9.3 update. I've tried the key chain logout & logging out of iCloud etc.
I have to delete the persist folder then add the device again, it may last for an hour or two but eventually always fails and then I've to do the whole routine again.
It would be nice if there was a way of definitely deleting the stuff for home kit in the keychain!

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:43 am
DGJ offline

Here's an update.
I was running IOS9.3 on one device and the general release on two other iOS devices, along with the "Home" app on more than one device.
While the Hue home bridge was happy with this arrangement the Homebridge wasn't.
I've upgraded two devices to 9.3 and that has helped while denying the other IOs devices access, I now only have the Home app installed on my main iPhone, this has stopped the Homebridge disappearing completely.
However I now lose some of my indigo devices after a while, this maybe 10 minutes or 10 hours and seems to be alphabetical! nothing after H appears!
restarting Homebridge cures the issue for a while but the bigger problem is they disappear from the room I've set up on "Home" and return to the default room.
I have no idea where to start on this issue as it doesn't seem to be a IOS HomeKit problem as some of the devices appear.
After some thinning out & excluding I'm down to around 70 devices & all work on initial boot up of Homebridge.
Annoying as the "hey Siri" is great and now I've some Estimote beacons it gets more interesting!

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:29 am
webdeck offline

DGJ wrote:
Here's an update.
I was running IOS9.3 on one device and the general release on two other iOS devices, along with the "Home" app on more than one device.
While the Hue home bridge was happy with this arrangement the Homebridge wasn't.
I've upgraded two devices to 9.3 and that has helped while denying the other IOs devices access, I now only have the Home app installed on my main iPhone, this has stopped the Homebridge disappearing completely.
However I now lose some of my indigo devices after a while, this maybe 10 minutes or 10 hours and seems to be alphabetical! nothing after H appears!
restarting Homebridge cures the issue for a while but the bigger problem is they disappear from the room I've set up on "Home" and return to the default room.
I have no idea where to start on this issue as it doesn't seem to be a IOS HomeKit problem as some of the devices appear.
After some thinning out & excluding I'm down to around 70 devices & all work on initial boot up of Homebridge.
Annoying as the "hey Siri" is great and now I've some Estimote beacons it gets more interesting!

Did you update to the latest version as described here: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=15685

Page 1 of 1