rpi and beacon going into expired state

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm
docp offline

rpi and beacon going into expired state

hi everyone

sorry for what is probably a very basic question:

I have set up my rpi 3. I have also purchased a tilemate. A few potential beacons were automatically populated (I presume other bluetooth devices) and I identified the tilemate. Initial testing was successful with the distance reading working. When I left the house with the tilemate, the status went to expired when I checked.

However since I got back home - both the pi and and tile remain in the "expired" mode.

I'd appreciate any help - I want to use the tilemate as a beacon to sense when I am home or away, and trigger things accordingly. I am not sure what the difference between down and expired is also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:59 pm
kw123 offline

Re: rpi and beacon going into expired state

As for the rpi : if you have just one it might go I to expiration , but that is not important ( it is not detected by another rpi )
As for the tiles: see the discussion in tiles. They do not send ibeacon type broadcasts when the iPhone tile app is open. As soon as you turn it off they should appear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm
kw123 offline

I am not sure what the difference between down and expired is also.

up --> down after expiration time --> expired after expiration time with no signal from beacon

expiration time = default time set in config (=90 secs) or overwritten by setting in beacon device edit.

Most beacons send signals every 0.1 ...2 seconds. So a 5 second timer would make sense, but that would require too many updates and the change going from UP --> down is not so time critical and the potential for fans negatives is increasing.
Lights don't have to go off immediately when you leave, but they should come up immediately when you come home. From down/expired to up it goes in < 1 sec (normally ~ 0.5 seconds) after the beacon comes into range of the RPI.

there are several parameters you can play with in config (loop time on the RPI, how often a messages should be send to indigo) and "fastDown" = off/2/3/4/5/10/15/20/25 seconds, went set will send on "OFF signal when the RPI is not receiving an signal after xx seconds to into instead of waiting the loop time (default 60 sec) before sending an update.

with one beacon that is ok, but when you have ~ 30 with 10 RPI the amount of messages to indigo goes up dramatically..

Just play around with the parameters

if you could get one with an on/off switch (eg RADIUS) you could simulate leaving by switching the beacon off/on/off.

Karl

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 am
benip offline

I found that the tile can be blocked by the app on returning home, even when you think it isn't running. The surest way to keep the tile working as a beacon is to log out of the app on your phone. We are trialling three tiles with excellent results.

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:21 pm
kw123 offline

if it is running in the background (enable location always in configuration) it will still tell the beacons, don't send broadcasts..

sign out or switch off bluetooth in the app works

Karl

have replaced 3 batteries and the old tiles with new batteries work fine .. if you are into soldering and have the right tools it is actually easy. the first try looks ugly but the other's look almost new... guess which one was the first one.. use "liquid tape" to put them back together
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 18.19.50.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 18.19.50.png (179.31 KiB) Viewed 2079 times

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 pm
docp offline

Thank you for the replies and advice. I am still slightly confused - For example the tile has been in range all evening is now expired. I assumed it would only go from up -> down -> expired when it goes out of range?

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:20 pm
kw123 offline

Then I think at least one tile app in a phone is running or active in the background.

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:42 pm
docp offline

I thought that but I deleted the tile app from my phone a few days ago and unpaired the device from my phone!

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:17 pm
kw123 offline

Click on the e and make it beep
If that brings them back you need to reinstall tile app, sync them, switch off Bluetooth in the app, then they might be stable.

Page 1 of 1