piBeacon: presence monitoring plugin discussions

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 pm
kw123 offline

Re: piBeacon: presence monitoring plugin discussions

updated the details for neopixel devices i.e. clock http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=18524&p=139938#p139938

Karl

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 pm
johnfdl offline

Is anyone seeing repeating brief 'down' then almost immediately back 'up' status? My (John) iBeacon has been attached to my keys which have been sitting on the coffee table all day, about 6-8 feet direct line of site from my piBeacon.

When keys are on coffee table, Closest Pi Distance is usually about 20 and Signal is -75

Log:
Jun 21, 2017, 2:37:56 PM
Trigger Johns Beacon is down
Trigger Johns Beacon is up

Jun 21, 2017, 2:40:44 PM

Jun 21, 2017, 2:44:16 PM

Jun 21, 2017, 2:48:40 PM
Z-Wave received "New Garage Door Controller" status update is closed

Jun 21, 2017, 2:51:03 PM
Trigger Brians Beacon is down

Jun 21, 2017, 2:51:28 PM
Trigger Brians Beacon is up

Jun 21, 2017, 2:52:04 PM
Trigger Brians Beacon is down

Jun 21, 2017, 2:52:29 PM
Trigger Brians Beacon is up

Jun 21, 2017, 4:29:11 PM

Jun 21, 2017, 5:37:17 PM

Jun 21, 2017, 6:43:52 PM

Jun 21, 2017, 7:17:21 PM

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 pm
kw123 offline

what is your expiration time setting .. could you post the device edit for THAT beacon?
And how many RPI do you have? .. I have 10 RPI for iBeacon, so it is likely that each beacon sees at least 2 RPI and then any time gaps will not materialize

The RPI sends every minute, if your expiration time is 60 seconds it might just go down and then receive the signal from the RPI which will make it up again..

and if you have indigo utilities install could you do a sql print of that device ? that should give you the exact sends of up/down/up ..
indigo log only prints time stamp every minute or so.

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 am
johnfdl offline

They rarely/never get to expiration in this scenario, As you can see in the log from my trigger, in most cases they go down and back up within the same time cycle.

Here's the device edit for the iBeacon:

I have 3 piBeacon rPis but they are not very close (it's a large house), so when my keys ((the iBeacon is attached to my keys) are in the Living Room, the Signal for the other rPis show -999....so the in the living room, my iBeacon only can reach the Living Room piBeacon rPi. I guess I could add another rPi, but I only really use the Becaons to trigger home and away things. So, what I've done is use my Dakota driveway break-beam in conjunction with the Beacons logic. When the driveway beam is broken, a variable becomes true for 2 mins, then false. So I just added logic for this variable to my beacon triggers to eliminate all the false alarms that would previously occur. Ironically, I didn''t have this problem for the first week or so with Becaons (and just one rPi). I wonder if it's as simple as needing new batteries. I'll get my hands on some fresh 2032 batteries and see if that solves the problem. But I would think it shouldn't go down if it's sitting so close to the piBeacon (it even goes down when I place the iBeacon inches away from the piBeacon.

I'll also try moving the piBeacon. It's sitting next to a Printer, Playstation, NAS and other electronics and perhaps that is causing interference.

I don't have Indigo utilities, but if the above doesn't yield improvement, I'll give that a whirl. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 pm
kw123 offline

upcoming!!!

automatic check for SD failure.. it looks as if it announces itself in the etc/var/syslog file. (
look for:
Code: Select all
mmc0: =========== REGISTER DUMP ===========
 mmcblk0: error -110 transferring data, sector 147552, nr 8, cmd response 0x900, card status 0xc00
mmc0: cmd op 25 arg 0x24060 flags 0xb5 - resp 00000900 00000000 00000000 00000000, err 0
mmc0: data blocks 8 blksz 200 - err 0
The plugin now monitors that file for error messages related to the SD and will post n error message in the log file.

I had a failed SD and could really test it ..

+ some small bug fixes
+ smoother RTC hw clock install.. now all automatically change config .. files and add/ remove fake hw clock if RTC is not/is present .
+ full support an an offline neo-pixel clock .. I will posted detailed instructions . they really look cool,
included auto light adjustment or manual, set time of not connected to network through buttons .

Karl

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:10 pm
mclass offline

Hi,
Thanks for the plugin!

I am wrestling with installation and configuration, and had the plugin and Kontakt beacons working OK. (Plugin version 7.62.121 on Indigo 7.0.3 with OSX 10.10.5)

However in "exploring" the features of the plugin, I seem to have done something that prevents the status of the devices created by the plugin from appearing in the "Device Details" window when each device is selected in the Home Window (see attachment).

This may have been replacing the indigo web server with "reduced logging option"? When I attempted a reversal, the event log stated "no file ... indigopy.py.original found to restore"

In an attempt to rectify this I uninstalled the plugin (yes - the plugin AND the configuration files after stopping the server and exiting Indigo). However the server debug messages continue to appear in the event log when the server is restarted and the pibeacon plugin has not be reinstalled - for example:
request to set variable "pi_IN_Alive" value to "{"program":"master","i2c":[],"ipAddress":"192.168.XX.XX","pi":"0","ts":"1500947256=AEDT"}" from 192.168.XX.XX

I have searched the forum for a similar occurrence without success. Can anyone suggest a remedy for the "no show" of the beacon status in the Device Details windows, and/or a means of completely uninstalling the plugin (and presumably any mods made to the Indigo server) to allow a full re-installation to be done?

TIA

mclass
Attachments
piBeacon Screen Shot.jpg
piBeacon Screen Shot.jpg (134.24 KiB) Viewed 3163 times

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 pm
kw123 offline

Reinstall indigo. Sounds bad but it is very easy. It will reinstall the Webserver.
The messages will continue to appear as long as the rpi are running they are sending the updates to these variables.
These are not coming from the plugin but from the indigo Webserver
As soon as a http variable update request comes in you will see these statements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 pm
kw123 offline

ps if you do not see the details juts grab the line above the dot and move it up .. it took my some months to figure that out .. they are still there ... Indigo keeps a good chunk of space before it shows the states.

Posted on
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 am
mclass offline

kw123 wrote:
ps if you do not see the details juts grab the line above the dot and move it up .. it took my some months to figure that out .. they are still there ... Indigo keeps a good chunk of space before it shows the states.

Thanks for both prompt replies - and my "doh" to the "loss" of the device states! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:04 pm
noel1983 offline

Hi,
Sorry if this is me being really dense but I've just gone to setup my raspberry pi-0 W, got the image on it all fine but it doesn't have ethernet!!

Is there a way for me to somehow manually configure it to connect to my wifi so it gets an ip?

Thanks and sorry if I'm missing something very obvious!

Noel

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm
kw123 offline

for a wifi only setup you need to connect
- monitor
-keyboard
-mouse

start the RPI
then on keyboard: sudo startx
that should start the windows interface. There you can setup wifi in regular wifi setup.

save and reboot
then it should always connect directly to wifi after reboot and should be part of the network and the plugin should be able to talk to it.

it is a catch 22 w/o network you can't setup the network..

one other way:
buy a usb --> ethernet connector
connect the ethernet through to usb --> ethernet connector
boot and try to find the IP number of the new device (fingscan should tell you automatically when a new device is connected)
then open terminal
ssh pi@ipnumber .. password pibeacon

cd pibeacon
sudo nano interfaces
and copy and paste:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
   address 192.168.1.xx
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 192.168.1.1
   wpa-ssid xx
   wpa-passphrase  yy
   dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.8.4
#iface default inet dhcp

CTL-o
CTL-X
save and exit
(replace xx yy with the proper info
move it to the proper place with:
sudo python interface.py

a bit more command line action, but it works.

Karl

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:31 am
noel1983 offline

Perfect thank you! I'm in :) One minor discrepancy with the documentation the default password is now pibeacon but thanks to your answer above I found that :) Massive thank you!

Now to figure out how to identify the various bluetooth beacons that are popping in on the screen :)

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 am
kw123 offline

Set accept new beacons to off
Create a new folder where you put the ided beacons and rename them
That seems to help.
In order to id them you can use the tracking option in menu to check the signal strength. Move individual ibeacons close to the rpi wait 90 secs check the signal strength and move them away and check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 am
noel1983 offline

Thanks Karl, sorry again if I'm missing it, I can't see a tracking option?
Thanks again for your great work and quick responses!
Noel

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 am
kw123 offline

I can't see a tracking option?
if you do not have this
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 09.39.43.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 09.39.43.png (32.51 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
in the menu, please download the most recent version

Page 57 of 78 1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 78