piBeacon: presence monitoring plugin discussions

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pm
kw123 offline

Re: piBeacon: presence monitoring plugin discussions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/197ljbtv2knw80e/piBeacon-v-7.71.163.zip?dl=1

this one should do better. Have tested everything w/o actual sensor as low as possible.

Karl

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm
GlennNZ offline

kw123 wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/197ljbtv2knw80e/piBeacon-v-7.71.163.zip?dl=1

this one should do better. Have tested everything w/o actual sensor as low as possible.

Karl

Thanks a lot Karl - more than happy to test, but you are a bit quick - hasn’t arrived as yet!
Can’t be that far away (UPS).
Will test as soon as arrives and let you know.
Glenn

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm
kw123 offline

just ordered one of these and the CO, Methan,.. gas sensors

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm
GlennNZ offline

kw123 wrote:
just ordered one of these and the CO, Methan,.. gas sensors

Karl!

Thanks.
Although I having buyers remorse now as think I should have ordered this one:
MS5837-30BA
https://shop.controleverything.com/coll ... -1300-mbar
https://github.com/ControlEverythingCom ... 837-30BA01

Far better resolution (2mm)- probably was the one I was originally after but got side tracked when I was ordering.
:oops:

Oh well - will wait for the 5803-30DBA to arrive and test and let you know.

Have fun with yours too!

Glenn

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 pm
kw123 offline

the software code is identical for these devices. just the range is different -- as I understand it .
Karl

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 pm
GlennNZ offline

kw123 wrote:
the software code is identical for these devices. just the range is different -- as I understand it .
Karl

Thanks
I did see that the code was identical - the resolution of the 5837 is 0.2mBar which is 2mm -probably better for my water tank project. At that resolution could estimate inflow and outflow of water I suspect - which admittedly wouldn’t serve any useful purpose (but were is the fun in that!)

Edit:
Also the temp resolution (24bit) seems incredible?
- resolution of 0.0022 at 25 degrees ?

Glenn

Posted on
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 am
johnpolasek offline

GlennNZ wrote:
kw123 wrote:
Karl

Thanks
I did see that the code was identical - the resolution of the 5837 is 0.2mBar which is 2mm -probably better for my water tank project. At that resolution could estimate inflow and outflow of water I suspect - which admittedly wouldn’t serve any useful purpose (but were is the fun in that!)

Edit:

Glenn

Quick question; how are you intending pot the board? I've been looking at doing the same thing for some time once my brother in law gets his cistern resealed (Currently being re epoxied on the inside) using the BMP barometric sensors possibly sealed in a plastic bag; However it looks like this one has a wettable gel pressure plate... I've got a 1300mBar version of the 5803 on order for the cistern and will repurpose the 2 BMPs for another project my brother suggested; an AC/Heat Pump health system to detect when the AC filter needs replacement (DP across the filter) or compressor problems (DT across the coil goes down)...

Posted on
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:23 pm
GlennNZ offline

johnpolasek wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:
kw123 wrote:
Karl

Thanks

Edit:

Glenn

Quick question; how are you intending pot the board? I've been looking at doing the same thing for some time once my brother in law gets his cistern resealed (Currently being re epoxied on the inside) using the BMP barometric sensors possibly sealed in a plastic bag; However it looks like this one has a wettable gel pressure plate... I've got a 1300mBar version of the 5803 on order for the cistern and will repurpose the 2 BMPs for another project my brother suggested; an AC/Heat Pump health system to detect when the AC filter needs replacement (DP across the filter) or compressor problems (DT across the coil goes down)...

Hi

Nothing done as yet or working! But plan to pour into mold covering all but the tiny pressure sensor; including covering the wire connection. Cable down to it into the epoxy is gel-filled cat6 and will likely need to weight it to sit nicely on bottom (which is 2m)

The other option I was toying with was putting it in a pipe fitting on the out/bottom line were it will be exposed to same pressure far easier to mount/seal. That line for me is under a deck which I would need to remove and not much room to play with so probably a no go. Although thinking about it now the pressure should be the same through that whole pipe? Would be some pipe loss I presume. But may be able to mount down the line away from deck.. Hmm.. would be some loses pipe restriction etc - but as long as constant should still be able to calculate water level I would think.

Question will be how will it last? Pipe fitting likely longer and less failure points than block of epoxy with cable running into.
Internet suggestions reasonable life-span of months-years. But will be interesting to see.

Glenn

Posted on
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 pm
johnpolasek offline

I was planning on putting mine in a short nipple added to a "tee" in the outlet line of the cistern to eliminate flow induced venturi effects and using some of the same epoxy we are using to seal the inside of the cistern (which can be filled to about 3.5m) after taping the face of the gel sensor with a small bit of tape and taking the wires out through a hole drilled in a plug on the dead leg. And if I add a valve before the sensor, I should be able to replace it easily if it does leak. But yes, the pressure should be essentially the same all along the pipe as long as the elevation of the line does not change unless the flow rate is very high. Of course, I'm only looking for about 5 cm accuracy to know how rapidly the sprinkler system is drawing down the level.

Posted on
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 am
GlennNZ offline

johnpolasek wrote:
I was planning on putting mine in a short nipple added to a "tee" in the outlet line of the cistern to eliminate flow induced venturi effects and using some of the same epoxy we are using to seal the inside of the cistern (which can be filled to about 3.5m) after taping the face of the gel sensor with a small bit of tape and taking the wires out through a hole drilled in a plug on the dead leg. And if I add a valve before the sensor, I should be able to replace it easily if it does leak. But yes, the pressure should be essentially the same all along the pipe as long as the elevation of the line does not change unless the flow rate is very high. Of course, I'm only looking for about 5 cm accuracy to know how rapidly the sprinkler system is drawing down the level.

I think the issue will be flow which will change the pressure a lot.

When not flowing it should equal tank level (minus some pipe loses)

But when water flowing/particularly in my case when pumped the suction from the pump will drop the pressure probably a lot (into negatives I’ll guess) and the reading will alter I presume a lot. Could measure only when pump not running - but adds a small level of complexity.

On a positive this negative pressure reading may have some bearing on the flow out....

Glenn

Posted on
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:15 am
johnpolasek offline

The suction pressure will depend on velocity through the line at the point where you put the sensor, and whether the sensor is in the the flow path; a lot of flow meters actually use this in order to measure flow (look up Venturi meters for all the exact equations). And depending on close to the tank you can get to the line, you can minimize the velocity effect by putting in a short section of larger pipe with a tee into a "dead end" leg to keep the sensor out of the flow path. What kind of flow rate and suction line size are you looking at?

Posted on
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:13 pm
kw123 offline

got the MS5803_30BA sensor.. It runs on +5V not on +3.3 V!!!

The posted formula on their website is wrong.

it should read
Code: Select all
pressure = ((((D1 * SENS)  / 2097152) - OFF)  / 8192.0) / 10.0
instead of
pressure = ((((D1 * SENS2) / 2097152) - OFF2) / 8192.0) / 10.0
for pressure in mBar. Have it fixed, .. still doing some debugging.

Also adding support for the CO and CH4xxx sensors

Karl

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 am
noel1983 offline

Hi all,
Is it possible/ok to be running pibeacon alongside other things on the pi? Particular example is magic mirror, could that work ok?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 am
kw123 offline

Pibeacon thinks it the master: rebooting. Etc
You can naturally add other programs to run.. from a cpu usage it is using 5-10%

You can add you own sensor = mysensor to pibeacon.
Edit the program mysensor.py on the rpi to start the other pgm.
Master.py will start then it when it reboots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am
johnpolasek offline

kw123 wrote:
got the MS5803_30BA sensor.. It runs on +5V not on +3.3 V!!!

The posted formula on their website is wrong.

it should read
pressure = ((((D1 * SENS)  / 2097152) - OFF)  / 8192.0) / 10.0
instead of
pressure = ((((D1 * SENS2) / 2097152) - OFF2) / 8192.0) / 10.0
for pressure in mBar. Have it fixed, .. still doing some debugging.

Also adding support for the CO and CH4xxx sensors

Karl

So you are saying that VCC needs to be tied to Pin2 rather than Pin1 for this sensor? (I'm asking because I have one of the 500 kPa versions on order which should be here tomorrow...

Page 59 of 78 1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 78