Bought out by Apple??

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:33 pm
howartp offline

Bought out by Apple??

Having seen WWDC Keynote tonight, I wonder if Gary has been bought out by Apple?

They seem to have nabbed his idea and run with it!

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:44 pm
autolog offline

Re: Bought out by Apple??

howartp wrote:
Having seen WWDC Keynote tonight, I wonder if Gary has been bought out by Apple?

They seem to have nabbed his idea and run with it!

I had exactly the same thought! :shock:

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:58 pm
Frakke offline

And it's not working anymore :( Image

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:05 pm
howartp offline

Mine's still working... :P

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:18 pm
howartp offline

Just found his BBGames twitter feed; he's still active on there and discussing stuff from tonight.

https://twitter.com/Gary_BBGames

Peter

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:33 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Hey guys, a new banking job has taken up most of my free time, so apologies for being so quiet.

My big hopes for 3.0 turned out to be a fizzle, and with the iOS 10 announcement I had also hoped for some good stuff, but I it seems Apple are severely limiting Siri with iOS 10, to the point that I can't use it.

The notification screen in iOS seems to break Home Remote too, so I need to look in to what the options are.

Hopefully Apple allow full size widgets, otherwise the future of Home Remote might not be viable. The good news is that there is still plenty of time for iOS 10 to change, and the watch app will improve with watchOS 3.

The Apple HomeKit doesn't concern me, as they require certain hardware embedded in the device to support HomeKit, so there will always be kit that needs something like HomeRemote.

Best bet is to follow me on Twitter, I'm Gary_BBGames and I update that daily.

Thanks everyone for their support so far, and I really hope that Home Remote will be able to continue with iOS 10.

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:01 pm
durosity offline

Fwiw my copy of home remote is still working. That said I really dislike the notification centre always defaulting to notifications. Anyone seen anything to change this setting?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:21 am
howartp offline

Mine doesn't...

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:37 am
durosity offline

Actually I'll change that. It works on my iPad but not my iPhone.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:21 am
howartp offline

My iPhone 5s with 9.latest works fine; defaults to Today with Home Remote at the top.

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:29 am
RAID5 offline

Thanks for this great app, I have really missed widgets from Indigos app. Great work!

/RAID5
Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Hey guys, Home Remote is progressing for iOS 10. You can now expand and collapse the widget (collapsed still looks bad) and call actions as expected. There is no button feedback, so I need to look in to that.

More worrying is that Apple have said that _all_ apps will need to have App Transport Security turned on by the end of the year, this means that _all_ requests have to go over https rather than http. This isn't going to work for Home Remote, so hopefully they can make an exception at the review level, although historically the app review team and I have not had a great relationship.
Attachments
IMG_0004.PNG
IMG_0004.PNG (184.09 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am
durosity offline

Yeah I heard about that requirement. Slightly concerning for indigo touch as I can't use reflector (it's just too slow here). :/.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep, Matt and I started talking about this new requirement last night when I ran across the reference. I'm not entirely positive that the end of the year deadline is for existing apps - I found a different comment that existing apps should at least have a plan to move to ATS but they didn't say by when. I'm also wondering if that applies to connections made to resources on the same subnet.

Anyway, as always, we'll figure out how to work around Apple demands.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Yep, Matt and I started talking about this new requirement last night when I ran across the reference. I'm not entirely positive that the end of the year deadline is for existing apps - I found a different comment that existing apps should at least have a plan to move to ATS but they didn't say by when. I'm also wondering if that applies to connections made to resources on the same subnet.

I certainly hope not! So many apps that restrict to the local subnet would be affected -- any many of those target devices can't support SSL (well, not with current firmware and such). Be that as it may, I didn't see anything that said it had to be a CA-issued certificate; the communications could potentially be with a self-signed certificate if you managed the validation to accept it. Obviously I could have missed that requirement somewhere, but when I read about it I didn't see anything in the requirements.

Adam