IOS notification screen: status icons?

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:13 pm
Seeker offline

IOS notification screen: status icons?

Sorry if this has been asked, but i it possible to show status icons or status indicators on the notification screen?

I use home remote all the time now for 'alarm arm', 'disarm', 'lights on' and other quick actions. it is so convenient. But it would be really nice to see the status of things such as alarm, lights, etc. on that screen.

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:55 pm
Londonmark offline

Re: IOS notification screen: status icons?

+1

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:45 pm
durosity offline

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:25 pm
Coolcaper offline

+1

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:41 pm
howartp offline

+ more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:49 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Hey guys, feel I should chip in here. When I was working on status updates I did initially have that, but keeping it in sync between multiple devices when iCloud is used, and other apps being able to change status as well it all ended up getting quite messy.

The only solution, if you want permanent status updates, would be to make URL calls for every action every time you pull down the today screen (it's always a new instance of the app, it doesn't stay open). This would mean that every time you pull down the today screen, up to 24 URL calls would need to be made, affecting speed and battery substantially, along with a requirement to poll for changes. In the end, the payoff (permanent status updates) were not worth the compromises (battery drain, inconsistency between devices).

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:05 pm
Seeker offline

Thanks for explaining. I figured there had to be a reason. And thanks for the workaround.

This app is getting as much use as indigo touch for me. with a little tweaking and learning, it will likely become more used. I'm one of the people who likes indigo to be automatic, requiring little interaction. the today screen buttons are perfect.

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:09 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

No worries. I have found that most of my home automation/control works best when an app isn't directly used at all.

With a combination of Alexa/Siri, schedules, with beacons and notification options sent to my watch I'm finding I can use apps less and less, relying more on automatic or voice control.

Posted on
Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:20 am
Seeker offline

After sleeping on this, I have a followup:

Gary_BBGames wrote:
The only solution, if you want permanent status updates, would be to make URL calls for every action every time you pull down the today screen (it's always a new instance of the app, it doesn't stay open). This would mean that every time you pull down the today screen, up to 24 URL calls would need to be made, affecting speed and battery substantially, along with a requirement to poll for changes. In the end, the payoff (permanent status updates) were not worth the compromises (battery drain, inconsistency between devices).

Can you describe HOW to do this step by step? For example, show the status of a light? If you've explained elsewhere, maybe point me there. I looked at the URL options but got lost.

Posted on
Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:23 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Hey Seeker, I mean that the app would have to make a URL call, one per button, to get the state of the device, as soon as the Today Screen is pulled down. It' a programming choice, not one that a user can set up, sorry if that was not clear.

Posted on
Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:34 am
Seeker offline

Ahh thank you!

Page 1 of 1