indigo utilities discussion

Posted on
Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:30 am
cramer offline

Re: indigo utilities discussion

If I run an external Python script (which is long running) which is invoked from an Action Group and the action group is actioned from a Virtual device, will the 'List Plugin Names and Ids' option show the IPH which is hosting the script (ideally showing the script name)?

Posted on
Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:15 pm
kw123 offline

indigo utilities discussion

It shows anything that is a UNIX doughter process to each plugin.
So if this is invoked as external process from a plugin it will show, if not no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:24 am
Seeker offline

can someone remind me WHERE a backup action stores it's backup file?

Posted on
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 am
kw123 offline

~/documents/indigoutilities

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 am
siclark offline

If I inadvertently restarted Indigo whilst the sql fix job was running , what state will things be in when I restart? Will the job pick up again, or do I need to restart it? Clicking on the action in the plugin menu does nothing.

I have a really messed up sql db and going back a few days on timemachine doesnt seem to have solved it either. Hoping your job can fix it!

thanks

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am
kw123 offline

Which sql job. Backup? Fix?
Backup just makes a simple copy then a dump. You can use that to restore the dB.
Fix tried to go through the dB and reassemble it. It works some times.
They both continue to run after indigo shuts down but not if you reboot. They both do not change they actual dB but make a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 am
siclark offline

Thanks, sorry, I meant the fix job. Yes it finally complete.
I had to hard power off my mac mini on Monday and that corrupted the sqlite db. I can see that its only on that day, at 6pm that the malformed db errors start occuring. However if I try and open time machine backups from 8th or 1st then I get the same issue, even if the fix job runs through in seconds and says no errors on them.

To confuse matters I have moved indigo from the old mac mini (above) to a new one last night. And also created a new device on the new machine today.

Should I delete the new device and / or go back to trying to get it to run successfully on the old machine, then try and copy it over again? I dont mind losing a few days of data, but obviously trying to avoind losing everything.

Could it be that the backup on 1st for instance didnt complete properly in time machine? My db is 2.2Gb?

Wish I had seen the fact your utility backs up the db before today!!

There needs to be a key setup guide beyond the basic Indigo setup guide.
Install sqllogger using postgres (I dont yet, but will change)
Install utilities and back up db file
Dont try and install homebrew to fix python issues in Indigo!

Just the above would have saved me over 15 hours of efort in the last 3 months!

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 am
siclark offline

Thanks, sorry, I meant the fix job. Yes it finally complete.
I had to hard power off my mac mini on Monday and that corrupted the sqlite db. I can see that its only on that day, at 6pm that the malformed db errors start occuring. However if I try and open time machine backups from 8th or 1st then I get the same issue, even if the fix job runs through in seconds and says no errors on them.

To confuse matters I have moved indigo from the old mac mini (above) to a new one last night. And also created a new device on the new machine today.

Should I delete the new device and / or go back to trying to get it to run successfully on the old machine, then try and copy it over again? I dont mind losing a few days of data, but obviously trying to avoind losing everything.

Could it be that the backup on 1st for instance didnt complete properly in time machine? My db is 2.2Gb?

Wish I had seen the fact your utility backs up the db before today!!

There needs to be a key setup guide beyond the basic Indigo setup guide.
Install sqllogger using postgres (I dont yet, but will change)
Install utilities and back up db file
Dont try and install homebrew to fix python issues in Indigo!

Just the above would have saved me over 15 hours of efort in the last 3 months!

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 am
kw123 offline

yes Time Machine is no good for sql backups.
fix has worked in 30% of the cases.
looks like your db is toast. need to start from scratch.

I would start with postgres app . Very easy to install and mine has had no probs for 18 months and the db is now at 25GB

use the backup facility!!

Karl

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am
siclark offline

thanks
will try going back another few weeks and see if time machine managed to get a good backup... just in case. It has in the past, but sounds like thats more luck than anything else

My other advice for new users, dont try and save £100 and get a 2009 core duo to run this on, if you want to use lots of plugins... spend £200 and get a 2014 i5 instead! Hopefully things will run much better from here on.

I lost the history a few times on vera as well using the whisper/graphite db on that. Annoying as I could have 3 years of power and temp data by now!

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
... My other advice for new users, dont try and save £100 and get a 2009 core duo to run this on, if you want to use lots of plugins... spend £200 and get a 2014 i5 instead! Hopefully things will run much better from here on. ...

I second this advice. :)

I am running my production Indigo on a 2010 Mac Mini (with 8GB and an SSD) - which is actually slightly slower than the 2009 Mac Mini I replaced. :o
It is really struggling and the UI can be painfully slow. :(

I am waiting to see if this month brings a new (suitable) Mac Mini otherwise I will be upgrading to a new iMac as I would like the new facilities such as TB3 ports etc. :)
Last edited by autolog on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 am
siclark offline

I was patient on ebay and picked up a 2014 i5 4Gb for £200 which compares well to the usual 250-300 I think. I do have an imac but dont want that responsible for mission critical jobs when people will turn it off and reboot it without loggin back in to Indigo!!

And especially compares well to the money I have spent on zwave and other automation bits, and figure I can sell the 2009 for £50 as well, once I have got all the backups off it.

And most importantly, all this is wasted money if I cant prove to my wife its ultra reliable and responds fast so she is happy to keep it long term.

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:28 am
kw123 offline

get a mac pro 2012

my 2008 pro is still running fine ~ 20% load with security spy 800 devices .. .. the op sys is frozen, but it does not go out in the wild .

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 am
siclark offline

I needed a small form that could sit in the server rack but hopefully this will work. It also needs to run headless which the old mini struggled with. Indigo and Security spy would be running fine, I just couldnt get it to open with teamviewer or vnc.

Installing postgres now whilst I do a final db fix attempt on a 2 week old db file

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 am
autolog offline

Not sure whether one of these (or similar) would help? : CompuLab fit-Headless

Page 5 of 11 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11