OpenSprinkler Plugin

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 pm
gglockner offline

OpenSprinkler Plugin

I'm pleased to announce the release of an OpenSprinkler plugin for Indigo. With this, you can use Indigo for manual or automated lawn watering. Using Indigo triggers and schedules, you can develop an advanced schedule that is customized for your lawn. For instructions and the download, see https://github.com/gglockner/indigo-opensprinkler.

Posted on
Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:43 pm
Peel offline

Re: OpenSprinkler Plugin

This sounds really intriguing. I was on the verge of purchasing the Insteon EZFlora module, but this controller sounds much more robust. As far as controlling from Indigo, does your plugin offer all of the controls that are baked-in to Indigo for the EZFlora?

thanks,
Pete

Posted on
Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:27 pm
gglockner offline

I can't say for certain because I don't have an EZFlora to test, but based on my reading of the Indigo documentation (http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id= ... controller), you should be able to do the same programming with OpenSprinkler. Specifically, the OpenSprinkler plugin is designed as a sprinkler plugin, so you can schedule by zones as well as water specific zones manually.

The main difference seems to be the hardware. EZFlora uses Insteon and has an integrated power supply. OpenSprinkler requires a standard 24V sprinkler power supply, and it uses wired ethernet. To use OpenSprinkler with WiFi, you need a separate WiFi bridge. Finally, OpenSprinker is more expensive.

EZFlora was not an option for me since my home automation network uses Z-Wave, and I could not find an acceptable Z-Wave irrigation controller. OpenSprinkler meets my needs.

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:55 am
CraftGeek offline

Very cool!

I had Open Sprinkler for Pi before I installed indigo and am quite happy with the OSPi interface and programming, especially because it has the local weather based water conservation built in. So, I would like to use your plugin more for status reporting than control. It would be nice to have the option of sprinkle status on my iPhone without having to open a port forwarding hole in my firewall.

When I tried to set this up I noticed that the plugin does not seem to periodically query OpenSprinkler for its current status. So if a zone turned on due to a command from OpenSprinkler, the plugin does not show the zone as being on. If I use the plugin to turn on a zone, it shows it.

Is this a bug or a future feature?

Thanks!
Sean

Sean

Posted on
Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 am
gglockner offline

CraftGeek wrote:
When I tried to set this up I noticed that the plugin does not seem to periodically query OpenSprinkler for its current status. So if a zone turned on due to a command from OpenSprinkler, the plugin does not show the zone as being on. If I use the plugin to turn on a zone, it shows it.

If you press the Send Status Request button in Indigo, it should show the current status in the log, even if OpenSprinkler has been triggered manually via its own interface. Can you check if that works? If not, tell me a set of steps to follow to reproduce the issue.

I'll look into better ways of updating status for a future release. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:41 am
bgrumpyj offline

I'd like to replace my existing sprinkler controller with something I can control with Indigo. The current sprinkler controller is not connected to my network in the house, can OpenSprinkler work with Z-Wave?

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 am
CraftGeek offline

bgrumpyj wrote:
I'd like to replace my existing sprinkler controller with something I can control with Indigo. The current sprinkler controller is not connected to my network in the house, can OpenSprinkler work with Z-Wave?

Open Sprinkler only communicates via Ethernet or WiFi, not Z-Wave. Sorry.

However, You can get an optional WiFi adapter that will make connecting the sprinkler system to the rest of your house network easier than running cable. So this may still be a good solution for you.
Last edited by CraftGeek on Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:27 am
rvarela offline

Record activity from Indigo in Opensprinkler

Many thanks for the plugin. Since it creates a device very similar to the the X-10 Rain-8 II controller, I was able to migrate my settings and schedules in less than 30 minutes!!! My question is whether you think it is possible to have the Indigo watering schedules transmitted to the OpenSprinkler controller. It has some nice views of the logs, and it only records what is instructed in the web/app, not the Indigo requests.

TIA,

Ramiro

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm
Ramias offline

Thank you for building and sharing this plugin.

I just made a sprinkler control page -- got an aerial image of my house (birds eye; from bing) to use as the background and then placed Sprinkler icons on it.

Here are my observations: for sprinkler devices for a control page, it would be nice to have a "toggle" action instead of just discrete On or Stop All.

Also, sometimes I manually turn a sprinkler zone on to give an area extra water; but may forget to turn that zone off.

I built a trigger that turns off all zones after one has been on for more than 15 minutes (during daylight; when my normal schedule is not running). It would be nice if I could use a condition like "when NOT running a scheduled program" for the sprinkler.

Not sure how to add this but just figured I'd share these observations.

Thanks

Posted on
Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 am
rycardo offline

This plugin worked well last year. I have a schedule that runs each day, with each zone runs for 25 minutes. I just realised yesterday that only the first zone is running. This true if the schedule runs automatically or if I manually run it in Indigo.

I thought there must be an issue with the controller or wiring, however, if I use Open Sprinkler's app, all zones run as intended.

I reloaded the Indigo plugin after making sure I have the latest version - looks like over a year ago, I even recreated the schedules, and disabled using Zimmerman adjustments, same issue using Indigo, only the first zone actually runs. The event log shows all the zones being started and stopped, but those commands aren't making it the controller beyond the first zone.

Also, the Open Sprinkler Controller Device, always shows Zone 1 as being on. Instead of All Zones off, or what ever it used to say.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. If you need any Open Sprinkler json, I can provide you that.

Thanks,

Rycardo

Posted on
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:12 am
fishmg01 offline

gglockner wrote:
I'm pleased to announce the release of an OpenSprinkler plugin for Indigo. With this, you can use Indigo for manual or automated lawn watering. Using Indigo triggers and schedules, you can develop an advanced schedule that is customized for your lawn. For instructions and the download, see https://github.com/gglockner/indigo-opensprinkler.

Greg,
I've been using the open sprinkler plugin and it works great - so thanks. I would like to incorporate a rain sensor into the setup. Is there some documentation I can follow? I see there is an "Ignore rain sensor" option under the Configure OpenSprinkler Module setup window (currently unchecked), but its not obvious to me how this all works using an actual hardware rain sensor (rather than using data pulled in from NOAA Weather Plus or another such service).

Thanks,

Glenn

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:11 am
Different Computers offline

Any chance this plugin would work with OpenGarage also? Same manufacturer.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:33 am
Rjay offline

Hello,
Can we confirm if this plugin is still supported? Just noticed there seem to be a bunch of errors if I try to get to the settings of the device. Not sure if this occurred in recent upgrade to 7.4 as I haven't used the plugin for a while but pretty sure it has been working prior.

Anyone else got any experiences with it currently?

thanks

Posted on
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:10 am
Rjay offline

As an update, a remove and reinstall of the plugin fixed this, so not sure if something had changed (location etc) with the upgrade to 7.4 that caused it. Either way looks to be working again :)

Still keen to know if the plugin is supported still though, noticed it isn't in the plugin listing I could see.

Page 1 of 1