Latest Version 1.02.01 - Historical Tracking added!

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:37 pm
Chameleon offline

Latest Version 1.02.01 - Historical Tracking added!

Hi all

Well the last few days have been about stablising some irritating issues so I thought I should share some work in progress. As I've mentioned before I've started looking at something I like to call predictive location finding. The principles of this are a little involved but the upshot is that iFindStuff will attempt to predict typical travelling times, key geofences and other factors to determine the update frequency. If it knows that you'd generally start coming home about 17:00 then from 16:45 it could start checking to see if you're moving. It could also attempt to determine where it thinks you're going based on your history.

A major part of that is one of the features that has been requested for the last couple of months - device tracking. I've included the first stage of that in the latest release. You can ask iFindStuff on the configuration screen to track historical data. You can also tell it, in days, for how long. The default is two but it can be any figure.

You can download version 1.02.01 from this link (I decided that this was a major feature so deserved it's own release):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtnxa5ssxvroga2/iFindStuff.zip?dl=1

What's new in version 1.02.01?

After you've configured iFindStuff to track devices it keeps a record of every device, where it goes and how long it's there for. You can access this information in three ways:

From the menu options 'Send a detailed report to the indigo log' or 'Save a text file of the detailed report to the Maps directory'. When you run these commands you have the option to tailor the report somewhat. You can choose to print/save a single device or all devices, add tracking information for a day or so, stop displaying inactive devices & geofences or stop displaying geofence information at all.

I"ll let you discover how the tracking information looks!

The third option is to Plot a map for a Single Device from the menu. You're now given the opportunity to display tracking information for the last day as a line on the map so you get a visual impression of where the device has been - give it a go.
Finally you have a new option called Purge Tracking Database. This does exactly what you'd expect - deletes all tracking information to date. Note that this option DOESN'T switch off tracking - that's down to you in the configuration screen.

Hope you find it useful and fun...

As I said this is work in progress so it should improve in the coming days...

UPDATE: For some users there may be a need to install a package called TinyDB. This is achieved in the same way that we install requests and six in the early days. You try working without the install because the dependant modules are included in this package. However, if you get an error please update you installation in python buy using the following command in Terminal:

sudo pip2.6 install TinyDB

<enter password>

and it will install. The new version of iFindStuff will then work correctly...

Please only do this if the plugin doesn't support the functionality independently.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:06 pm
TOPS offline

Re: Latest Version 1.02.01 - Historical Tracking added!

:D Excellent feature Mike, can't wait to road test it......

Well done.....yet again!!

Dave

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:10 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yah!
Well done. Downloading now.. :P

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:51 am
TOPS offline

:( :( Hi Mike,

I have a little problem, see screenshot below, I am at home but the "distance and time to" are really out of sync,

What do you think?

Regards,

Dave
Attachments
IMG_0002.PNG
IMG_0002.PNG (242.38 KiB) Viewed 5621 times

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:08 am
Chameleon offline

TOPS wrote:
:( :( Hi Mike,

I have a little problem, see screenshot below, I am at home but the "distance and time to" are really out of sync,

What do you think?

Regards,

Dave

It does look odd but I suspect it's not quite an issue as one's we've had before :)

The plugin looks to see if you've 'moved' in the last period. If you haven't it doesn't call Google for the Distance/Travel Time information to cut down on calls to the API (as we're limited to 2,500/day). I think it's probably an example of the normal update and the real distance update being out of sync. You're right that shouldn't happen so I need to check the real distance against the calculated one and if they're obviously out like yours is it should self correct and then stop accessing the API then while your stationary.

Let me look at it over the weekend.

You may find that a reload will sort the problem. You might also look at the iFindStuff log file to see if there are any errors being generated. Remember to do that BEFORE you reload the software.

BTW - the error log has moved to a more friendly, and obviously place since you last looked.

You'll find the file at:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/iFindStuffErrors.log

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 am
TOPS offline

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, :shock: I did a restart of IFS and it corrected the calculations.....I possibly jumped in to quick....I think I need to let the Plugin do its thang first, I'll keep an eye on it...

Again,

Thanks,

Dave :roll:

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:06 am
kw123 offline

Mike,
each device/state when ever it changes is stored in the indigo sql database and you could retrieve it from there.
Karl

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:59 pm
durosity offline

Him.. i seem to be getting an error after upgrading to v1.02.01:

Code: Select all
  iFindStuff Error                Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 3606, in runConcurrentThread
<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'iUpdateCycle' referenced before assignment

iFindStuff Error                plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

I've tried deleting all devices and plugin prefs and starting afresh but no joy. Any ideas?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:55 am
Chameleon offline

durosity wrote:
Him.. i seem to be getting an error after upgrading to v1.02.01:

Code: Select all
  iFindStuff Error                Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 3606, in runConcurrentThread
<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'iUpdateCycle' referenced before assignment

iFindStuff Error                plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

I've tried deleting all devices and plugin prefs and starting afresh but no joy. Any ideas?

Hmmm it took me a while but I think I know what the problem is. My guess is that you're not using the Save Maps feature and so the 'Where would you like to save maps' field is blank. That's perfectly reasonable and wasn't trapped correctly. You either need to enter an accessible directory in this field to save the tracking information or switch historical tracking off. I think I've trapped the error now but it still requires that you have a directory for tracking data to be saved if you use that feature. I use /Users/Michael/Maps as my local store and that's what I enter in the associated field.

If that isn't the case then I suspect it's failing on using TinyDB and you'll need to install it (I hoped that no one would need to as it's included in the plugin).

I'm releasing a new version this morning with the trap in place. Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:58 am
durosity offline

Coolio! And yeah no folder defined at the moment, I've not got around to setting the up again yet :) will test it when I get home

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:13 am
Chameleon offline

durosity wrote:
Coolio! And yeah no folder defined at the moment, I've not got around to setting the up again yet :) will test it when I get home

It was a good catch as I'd never thought about that when I added the new functionality :D It's added to my user testing schedule now.

Regards

Mike

Page 1 of 1