Latest Version 1.01.05 - Performance Update

Posted on
Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 am
Chameleon offline

Latest Version 1.01.05 - Performance Update

Hi all

Well it's been very quite on the user front - something that I'm taking as a good thing. I'm working on a couple of new features but I decided I wanted to spend some time managing any remaining bugs and exception reporting. As part of my personal development I've been reading up on exceptions management and python and I've come to understand that I can make the debugging process for both me and users a lot easier. I'm going to be expanding this knowledge to my other plugins over the next few days but iFindStuff is a very complex code structure and anything to make it easier to resolve user issues must be a good thing.

The update provides exception reporting to a file which can be read and, if requested, sent through to me to help resolve any problems you might be having. It gives me a lot more information on what an issue might be and how to fix it.

You can download version 1.01.05 from this link. I recommend updating to take advantage of the new performance improvements and exception reporting feature.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtnxa5ssxvroga2/iFindStuff.zip?dl=1

What's new in this version (1.01.05)?

Performance Update - It would be good if I could see errors quickly and advise the developer of issues. This new update constantly checks how iFindStuff is working and manages any issues without interrupting the user. In the past there have been some errors which are hidden from the Indigo Log as they're not considered serious enough to cause any major issues but occasionally can cause issues in the way that iFindStuff behaves. I've asked a number of users to switch on Debug Options and then try, sometimes unsuccessfully, to cut an paste from the log.

So to resolve these issues I've now included an Exception reporting system into the configuration screen. In the iFindStuff configuration you'll see a new option at the end of the Debug flags to turn on exception tracking. You're also asked how log each report should be before iFindStuff resets the log. If you turn this option on iFindStuff will automatically report on any exceptions to a file called iFindStuffErrors.log. This file is hidden in the plugin itself and can be accessed by moving to the /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins folder and then opening the iFindStuff plugin folder by right clicking on the icon and selecting Show Package Contents and navigating into the Contents/Server Plugin folder and locating the file. That sounds complicated but it isn't.

Hopefully what you'll find is an empty file with a simple message telling you when the logging started. If you see any errors in the log then you can let me know and I can help you resolve them.

When I ran the new version on my system I found five minor, but annoying bugs that could have impacted users without them knowing. These I've fixed and I haven't found any more issues since.

Let me know how it goes...

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:24 am
GlennNZ offline

Re: Latest Version 1.01.05 - Performance Update

Thanks
Updated and this is attached log - included exception seems to have gone away now and all working well.

Glenn
Attachments
iFindStuffError.log
(41.13 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Page 1 of 1