Latest Version 1.0.50 - Calculations update

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 am
Chameleon offline

Latest Version 1.0.50 - Calculations update

Hi all

Friday night, a glass of bitter (very English obviously) and a new update.

I've released version 1.0.50 which contains a significant revamp of distance calculations and range management. In a nutshell, you should find that all units now work correctly for Imperial, Metric and Metres. I've also added some useful reporting functionality for people that just like reports :D

You can download and install the latest version from this link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtnxa5ssxvroga2/iFindStuff.zip?dl=1

What's new in version 1.0.50?

B80 - Imperial and Metric calculations don't seem to work correctly. Resolved. I actually started to debug the code and then thought - actually this could be done a lot better with better performance. So I not only debugged the calculations but I simplified and revamped the approach. I've been running all unit types for 24 hours and they seem robust but I'm sure you'll let me know if there are any issues :lol:

Just to confirm a few things:

Imperial - This allows you to use miles and feet as the basis of the distance and range calculations. If you're setting a range (e.g. GeoFence Range, Holiday Distance, etc...) then iFindStuff uses feet as the measurement distance. You should ensure that all of your ranges are in feet not miles. If you're reading a distance calculation then it will be calculated in miles. There's also a a couple of special display fields for distances that show miles & feet for control pages. Lastly, when you set a 'stationary mode' speed it's measured in miles per hour (see the device dialog)

Metric - This allows you to use kilometres and metres as the basis of the distance and range calculations. If you're setting a range (e.g. GeoFence Range, Holiday Distance, etc...) then iFindStuff uses metres as the measurement distance. You should ensure that all of your ranges are in metres not kilometres. If you're reading a distance calculation then it will be calculated in kilometres. There's also a a couple of special display fields for distances that show kilometres & metres for control pages. Lastly, when you set a 'stationary mode' speed it's measured in kilometres per hour (see the device dialog)

Metres - This is the simplest option of all and uses only metres the basis of the distance and range calculations. If you're setting a range (e.g. GeoFence Range, Holiday Distance, etc...) then iFindStuff uses metres as the measurement distance. You should ensure that all of your ranges are in metres. If you're reading a distance calculation then it will be calculated in metres as well. There's also a a couple of special display fields for distances that show kilometres & metres for control pages. Lastly, when you set a 'stationary mode' speed it's measured in metres per second (see the device dialog)

So Ranges = Minor unit (m or ft) and Distances = Major unit (miles, kilometres or metres)... :shock:

As an aside - the deviceAccuracy field is also automatically converted to feet or metres depending on the units being used. If you switch units, iFindStuff will automatically convert all of your ranges and distances for you.

You'll need to wait for the first full update of devices before you'll see the new calculations being used so please be patient. Give it at least 10 mins to settle down :D

[F10] - I've got lots of devices and geofences it's hard to keep up - can you generate a report of what iFindStuff is managing? - Added this feature in this release. There are two new options on the iFindStuff menu (Plugins/iFindStuff/...). The first Send a detailed Report to the Indigo Log will generate a report in the Indigo Log showing Active/Inactive Devices and Active/InActive Geo Fences. It'll also show you which devices are in which GeoFence. The second option Save a detailed report to the Maps Directory will generate exactly the same report but save it as a text file to the directory where you save your maps. The filename will be of the form IFINDSTUFF REPORT 16-09-2015_17-19-12 (DD-MM-YY_HH-MM-SS). You can generate as many reports as you like and read, or print, them offline.

That's it for today - lots of Rugby to catch up on so I'm off now.

Best regards

Mike

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:53 pm
snowjay offline

Re: Latest Version 1.0.50 - Calculations update

Calcs look good for Imperial!

I love the report options as well!

Jason

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 am
nev offline

The update looks great, thanks again for all of this hard work! Can I ask for a slight change? I use the iFindStuff Action "Update frequency to or from variable" , but it would be great it it were 2 separate Actions? "Update frequency to iFindStuff default" & "Update frequency to variable" ?

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:17 am
Chameleon offline

nev wrote:
The update looks great, thanks again for all of this hard work! Can I ask for a slight change? I use the iFindStuff Action "Update frequency to or from variable" , but it would be great it it were 2 separate Actions? "Update frequency to iFindStuff default" & "Update frequency to variable" ?

No problem - that's easy enough. I'll be tomorrow for the change but I'll let you know when it's there....

Mike

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:14 am
rapamatic offline

One little niggle - when constructing the geofence circles in google maps, it seems to be using meters even in imperial mode - so, since I'm in imperial mode, the geofence circles look way bigger than they actually are...

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:34 am
Chameleon offline

rapamatic wrote:
One little niggle - when constructing the geofence circles in google maps, it seems to be using meters even in imperial mode - so, since I'm in imperial mode, the geofence circles look way bigger than they actually are...

That's a good point. I'll add it to the change list. You're right - Google does default to metres so I'll have to convert them in imperial BEFORE I tell it to draw the maps. I'll probably release a hotfix later tonight if I get the chance. If not - tomorrow :)

Mike

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:41 pm
Chameleon offline

rapamatic wrote:

Niggle resolved! See version 1.0.51 in the forum!

Mike

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:49 pm
rapamatic offline

Nice - got it installed and its working great.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1