Imperial GeoFence question

Posted on
Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:50 am
snowjay offline

Imperial GeoFence question

I have my units set to Imperial and according to the manual the "Range of GeoFence" value should be set to feet. I entered in 500 and have a device well outside that range (see below) but it still indicates that it is within the GeoFence. Just wondering if the distance is really miles or there is something else going on here.

Code: Select all
deviceEnteredGeo=Home
deviceGeoDistance=4.84
deviceInGeoRange=true
distanceHome=4.84
geoDistanceDisplay=4 ml and 4423 ft
geoHomeDistanceDisplay=4 ml and 4423 ft
realDistanceHome=4 ml and 5126 ft

Jason

Posted on
Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:53 am
Chameleon offline

Re: Imperial GeoFence question

snowjay wrote:
I have my units set to Imperial and according to the manual the "Range of GeoFence" value should be set to feet. I entered in 500 and have a device well outside that range (see below) but it still indicates that it is within the GeoFence. Just wondering if the distance is really miles or there is something else going on here.

deviceEnteredGeo=Home
deviceGeoDistance=4.84
deviceInGeoRange=true
distanceHome=4.84
geoDistanceDisplay=4 ml and 4423 ft
geoHomeDistanceDisplay=4 ml and 4423 ft
realDistanceHome=4 ml and 5126 ft

Thanks Jason

You were absolutely right - there was a unit error in the calculation. :oops: I've corrected it now in version 1.0.46 which you can download from the forum under Latest Software. Now it should work like the manual suggests. If you could let me know how you get on that would be useful and I'm really surprised that no one picked up on it sooner. I suspect that most people are using metres. I suggest that you read the post I've just put up carefully :D

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:51 am
snowjay offline

Excellent! I will update now and let you know how I make out. I'm headed out on a weekend trip so more extensive testing may have to wait until next week.

Jason

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:21 pm
snowjay offline

I'm not sure it's calculating correctly or I have something set wrong.

I set my GeoFence to 26400 feet (5 miles)

I have a device reporting over 8 miles away, yet it still says it's within the GeoFence.

Details:
deviceGeoDistance=45220.27
deviceInGeoRange=true
distanceHome=8.56
geoDistanceDisplay=8 ml and 2980 ft
geoHomeDistanceDisplay=8 ml and 2980 ft

Jason

Posted on
Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:49 pm
rapamatic offline

snowjay wrote:
I'm not sure it's calculating correctly or I have something set wrong.

I set my GeoFence to 26400 feet (5 miles)

I have a device reporting over 8 miles away, yet it still says it's within the GeoFence.

Details:
deviceGeoDistance=45220.27
deviceInGeoRange=true
distanceHome=8.56
geoDistanceDisplay=8 ml and 2980 ft
geoHomeDistanceDisplay=8 ml and 2980 ft

I am having similar issues. Geo range set to 275 (I don't know if meters or feet??) and I am several miles away, it still shows me as being in range. Maybe this is just a bug with those of us using imperial units?

Posted on
Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 pm
snowjay offline

It looks like the GeoFence distance # is in meters even though Imperial is selected. I looked at the GeoFence outline on the dynamic map and it was way bigger than 5 miles. I cut it down to 10000 and it created a fence of about 6 miles which is more accurate. Devices still show in the fence though.

Edit: if I change the units to meters it looks like everything is working fine now.

Jason

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 am
Chameleon offline

snowjay wrote:
It looks like the GeoFence distance # is in meters even though Imperial is selected. I looked at the GeoFence outline on the dynamic map and it was way bigger than 5 miles. I cut it down to 10000 and it created a fence of about 6 miles which is more accurate. Devices still show in the fence though.

Edit: if I change the units to meters it looks like everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the messages. You're probably right. I'm currently completing a full analysis of distance calculations today so I should have a release for all of you later on.

Thanks for testing and I'll respond later today. I've been distracted by the new, improved, Fibaro LED Dimmer Manager (soon to be just any LED Manager!)

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:02 am
snowjay offline

No worries Mike, thanks for your work on this plugin! I don't mind using meters for now, I'm used to the metric system on my bikes anyway. ;)

Can't wait to check out the new plugin as well.

Jason

Jason

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:20 am
Chameleon offline

snowjay wrote:
No worries Mike, thanks for your work on this plugin! I don't mind using meters for now, I'm used to the metric system on my bikes anyway. ;)

Can't wait to check out the new plugin as well.

Jason

New version now available that works with Metric, Imperial and Metres :D

Mike

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:51 am
TOPS offline

Hi Mike,

Great work as ever, where do I find the new version,

Dave

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:53 am
Chameleon offline

TOPS wrote:
Hi Mike,

Great work as ever, where do I find the new version,

Dave

Hi Dave

The latest version is on this post...http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=14869

It should be version 1.0.50...

Mike

Posted on
Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:02 am
TOPS offline

:D Cheers Mike

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:04 am
dnomode offline

Hello Mike,

I'm seeing the same problem. I'm set to Imperial and the Range of the Geolocation is set to 500. I was several miles away and the system reported me at home. I'm on version 1.02.03

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help?
Edmond

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:02 am
Chameleon offline

dnomode wrote:
Hello Mike,

I'm seeing the same problem. I'm set to Imperial and the Range of the Geolocation is set to 500. I was several miles away and the system reported me at home. I'm on version 1.02.03

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help?
Edmond

I'll run a few tests. However it should work fine I've not had any reported issues for a while on this. There are somethings that you could eliminate for me:

a) What is the current reporting period (value of the secondsNextUpdate) state for the device. It can be as long as an hour if the battery is low.

b) Is it always the same problem? Sometimes the Apple API isn't as proactive as we'd like and can take a while to give us a new location

c) Can you convert to Metric (in the iFindStuff Configuration) - allow it to run for 30 mins and then revert back to imperial? Occasionally in the early days of experimentation with the plugin these numbers can get confused and this should remove any rogue data. When you complete the changes, in each case have a look at the range for the GeoFence (edit the device) and see if the changes it's made are sensible- i.e. is the conversion correct.

If no joy we'll have to investigate further by using the debug options but lets see if it's something simple first :D

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:21 pm
dnomode offline

Hello Mike,

a) What is the current reporting period (value of the secondsNextUpdate) state for the device. It can be as long as an hour if the battery is low.
60 seconds

b) Is it always the same problem? Sometimes the Apple API isn't as proactive as we'd like and can take a while to give us a new location
I only installed the plugin 1 week ago and it always shows my wife and I at home.

c) Can you convert to Metric (in the iFindStuff Configuration) - allow it to run for 30 mins and then revert back to imperial? Occasionally in the early days of experimentation with the plugin these numbers can get confused and this should remove any rogue data. When you complete the changes, in each case have a look at the range for the GeoFence (edit the device) and see if the changes it's made are sensible- i.e. is the conversion correct.
I switched to metric this morning and switched back this evening. I'll see tomorrow if it helps. The range seemed to switch from 500 ft to 29 meters when switching to metric (i think :oops:), however it stayed at 29 when switching to imperial this evening. I switched it to 500 again.

I'll let you know tomorrow if it shows me as away.

Thanks
Edmond