New features under development in iFindStuff

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:51 am
Chameleon offline

New features under development in iFindStuff

Hi all

Just so that you all know that I haven't been ignoring all those user feature requests I thought I'd let you know what's likely to be in the next release later this week for testing bassed on your suggestions!:

Metric & Imperial measurements - DONE

Allow the user to specify miles and feet or kilometres and metres or just metres for all measurements

There are three options:

1. Metric uses kilometres for distance and metres for ranges

2. Imperial uses miles for distance and feet for ranges

3. Hybrid uses metres for both ranges and distances (as now)

Variable graphics for devices - DONE

Allows the user to specify icons for individual devices or select standard icons. Each device has a graphic file assigned to it - either standard or one that you've created yourself. Create your own Avatars and let them roam about your Google Maps

Charging reverts to normal frequency - DONE

Allows the user to request that if the next update identifies that the device is charging that normal frequency can be resumed (and vice versa). Note that his option will still have to wait until the frequency cycle is over before the property is tested

Store Device History

Allows the user to specify a date range and the programme will provide a tracking map for the device based on the values updated each day

Link to NEST Home - DONE

Allows two way communication between NEST Home and iFindStuff so the the user can specify devices to be used as NEST Home managers and control heating/cooling by presence or distance from the NEST location and get immediate signals if something is wrong with the set up

Mike

stick_figure_workstation_800_clr_2044.png
Computer Programming iFindStuff
stick_figure_workstation_800_clr_2044.png (173.98 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:48 am
TOPS offline

Re: New features under development in iFindStuff

Hi Mike,

Like the post, especially the part that says "Variable graphics for devices" thank you,

Regards,

Dave

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:38 am
Chameleon offline

TOPS wrote:
Hi Mike,

Like the post, especially the part that says "Variable graphics for devices" thank you,

Regards,

Dave

No problems. It'll be in tomorrow's release smog with maps for control pages :)

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:15 pm
durosity offline

smog? Writing a weather plugin too? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:44 pm
Chameleon offline

durosity wrote:
smog? Writing a weather plugin too? ;)

Lol... Auto correct is fun :)

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:41 pm
durosity offline

I can't even work out what you meant originally! :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:37 am
Chameleon offline

durosity wrote:
I can't even work out what you meant originally! :)

Took me a while - it was meant to say 'along' but clearly my spelling is rubbish... :oops:

New version up an loaded...

Mike

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:57 am
Badger offline

Hi all,

Have used previous plug ins that made use of "find my iPhone" but stopped as Apple dictated that every time the iPhone account was accessed to get location information, it would send an email to the apple account that the phone was associated to, very annoying to get mail every 15 mins or so.

Does this plug in avoid this apple annoyance ? it looks great but don't want to go through the whole install just to find the same issue with Apple

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:38 am
TOPS offline

Hi Badger

The only emails I get from Apple are the ones you describe but only if I reload the plugin or add another device, so I think you should be ok there,

Cheers,

Dave

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:25 am
Chameleon offline

Badger wrote:
Hi all,

Have used previous plug ins that made use of "find my iPhone" but stopped as Apple dictated that every time the iPhone account was accessed to get location information, it would send an email to the apple account that the phone was associated to, very annoying to get mail every 15 mins or so.

Does this plug in avoid this apple annoyance ? it looks great but don't want to go through the whole install just to find the same issue with Apple

Badger

That was the original problem I set out to solve because it really annoyed me as well. There were a number of python 'utilities' that polled iFindStuff but they all suffered from this problem. I found the best of them, pyicloud, which had the same problem and reverse engineered the code. With a bit of experimentation and many frustrating hours I discovered the cause was a failure to store apple cookies locally and to simple check if the current cookie was the same as the last one (which on the same server/web browser) it would be. A bit of recoding and testing and the emails stopped with the exception of at reload or adding a new account/device. I fine tuned it so it only happened on adding a new account/device and it seems to work really well as I don't get those emails now :D

The upshot is that the 'public' version of pyicloud still exhibits this behaviour (I have shared the solution) so I have included our version of pyicloud.py inside the plugin itself so it doesn't need to be installed by the use. The other additional task is there is still a need to install requests.py and six.py into python 2.6 but that hasn't been a barrier to any user so far.

So unless there's something very strange with your system, and not one of the current users have reported an issue with emails and I certainly don't get them, then I think you're safe to try.

Let me know if you need any help

Regards

Mike

Page 1 of 1