Plugin Request: Roomba

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 am
gregjsmith offline

Plugin Request: Roomba

The plugin would allow a roomba to be added as device in the indigo interface. This would require the roomba to have a rootooth or equivalent device and it would pair with the Mac as a bluetooth serial device.

From there the user would be able to manually control the roomba from within indigo, see it's current status, send it off on a cleaning mission or ask it to return.

I personally don't have any interest in manual control just the ability to send it on a mission or ask it to return. I would also generate statistics such as "last mission completed at 9:25 am, it took 25 minutes".

This sort of functionality currently exists as stand along programs on the Mac. http://hackingroomba.com/code/roombacomm/

Posted on
Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plugin Request: Roomba

Added to the wish list though a quick glance at the link you provided shows that the library they're using to talk to the roomba is in Java so that's likely going to be a bit of a bummer for anyone attempting a plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:03 am
gregjsmith offline

Re: Plugin Request: Roomba

The link was meant to be an example on how it's been implemented elsewhere. I think someone did an applescript interface that I once tried and couldn't get to work, but I can't find it now.

There's some python code at http://code.google.com/p/pyrobot/ that I don't know if it's helpful. There's a whole community of roomba hacking, I'm sure someone has something that can be helpful.

Page 1 of 1