Plugin API versions

Forum rules

This is a legacy forum which is locked for new topics. New topics should be started in one of the other forums under Extending Indigo

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Plugin API versions

What's the recommended way to set the Plugin API Version for a plugin? I assume I should use the lowest version that supports all the features it needs, but how do I figure this out? Is there a handy table somewhere? :-)

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plugin API versions

Hi Perry,

We've updated the plugin developer's guide with some guidelines:

As we've revised the API and added features, we've incremented the API version number. Up until Indigo 5 v5.1.1, the API remained 1.0 and the documents were just updated with new features (which could lead to incompatible features if using an older release of Indigo). As of Indigo 5 v 5.1.2, we've begun incrementing the API minor version number (1.X) whenever we add new features. The major number (X.0) will only be incremented when we do something that will break backwards compatibility. See the API version chart to see which API versions were released in which Indigo version.

If any of the API tables in the documentation don't have a version number you can assume that the feature is available in API version 1.0 and later.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Excellent. I was hoping for such a handy table. Of course, it would be even handier if it actually listed the features or capabilities that became available with each increment. :-)

Hm... the release notes for version 5.1.3 say:
Plugin API version number has been incremented to v1.2.

Mistaken release note, or table out of date?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Missed update to the table. It's fixed now.

Would it be nice to have a separate list? Yes. Is it going to happen? Not until we're a bigger company.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1