Latest version 2.0.50 (I promise this time!)

Posted on
Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:18 am
Chameleon offline

Latest version 2.0.50 (I promise this time!)

Hi all

First of all Happy New Year. Second - thanks for all of the support that you've given each other to resolve so really annoying bugs in my absence.

I've spent a little time over the Christmas break looking through all of the recent errors and versioning problems. It didn't help that Google decided to change the API without actually letting the developers know in advance. I think I've removed the main issues and I've resynced the versions all to 2.0.50 to eliminate any confusions. This will be the final version before the next major upgrade to 3.0.01 later in the months once I've completed testing the camera, fan management and performance improvement features. I'll let you all know when it's ready but if there's anyone out there with a camera and they'd like to help with the BETA testing let me know.

This upgrade is recommended for all users

NEST Home
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj1fklato3gk7i4/NEST%20Home.zip?dl=1

NEST Home 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qm7gjgvlcmki1d/NEST%20Home%202.zip?dl=1

NEST Home 3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwvy14ukumkbfn9/NEST%20Home%203.zip?dl=1

You can install this update in the usual way.

What's new in version 2.0.50?

I've brought together a number of patches and updates into a synchronised version for NEST Home 1, 2 & 3. The primary focus was to remove any outstanding errors before the next upgrade which is planned for mid January. I'm already in ALPHA testing but if there's anyone out there with a NEST Cam who'd like to help with the BETA testing let me know.

This version works with both Indigo 6 and 7. The changes are:

1. Bugfix to resolve Log File creation errors and ECO features
2. Synced versions to a single instance (2.0.50)
3. Resolved the versionCheck error on NEST Home 2 & 3. This error is due to a problem with the PluginUpdate file where I'd forgotten to update the version number correctly. It has no impact on the actual functionality of the product
4. Added new fields that are now available in the NEST API for Sun Correction, Training Time, etc... A new manual with updates will be provided with the next major release but you can look on the NEST Developers API page for more information on what's new
5. Improved performance in some areas if you're using Indigo 7
6. Prepared the NEST Database migration for the next major release including multiple sites in a single plugin, NEST Cam support and Fan Management as well as new functionality introduced in NEST Thermostat Generation 3

What's next for NEST Home?

I've been working on a whole raft of new functionality for NEST Home that supports the changes that NEST have made to their system and more recently their API.

This includes:

New fields including:
    ECO temperatures
    Locked temperatures
    Is locked?
    Label (you can now name your NEST anything and it can appear in Indigo)
    Location (you can now add a proper location label for your NEST and it will appear in indigo)
    Previous HVAC Mode (so you know what the previous setting was before NEST went into ECO mode)
    Sunlight Correction information (enabled/active)
    Time to Target (estimated time in mins to achieving your target temperature or "training" if you've just installed it

New features including:
    Fan Timer Duration (adds the ability to specify a fan duration in mins from 15,30,45,60,120,240,480 directly from indigo)
    Multiple sites in a single plugin (eliminating the need for NEST Home 2 and NEST Home 3)

New equipment
    NEST Cam (indoor and outdoor) with live video feed and related fields including URLs, Online and Audio Status, Location and Event information

I'm also working on building on the great new features that Matt and Jay have added to Indigo 7 that improve performance and features directly. Some of the new functions listed above will only work properly in Indigo 7 although all of the new fields will be available in the Indigo 6 version. The indigo 7 version will also have multiple sites functionality (different locations or zones in a single plugin) as well as vastly improved performance enhancements. I'll also be looking to work with INDIGOplotD's developer to enhance links and provide better reporting functionality (although I haven't mentioned it to Karl yet but I will - sorry Karl!)

I will support both Indigo 6 & 7 where I can but the use of python 2.7 and the addtional features for Indigo 7 that Matt and Jay have built means that version 7 will always get the better features in the end. It's also where I will concentrate my efforts on integrating NEST Weave in 2017.

Many thanks for all your support

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:38 am
Brady offline

Re: Latest version 2.0.50 (I promise this time!)

Awesome - thank you!! I am SUPER excited to be able to toggle my Nest Cam on/off within Indigo.

Happy New Year!

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 am
marketability offline

I second that emotion!

(I have a few NEST cameras (indoor and outdoor) if you want some testing done)

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:55 am
marketability offline

Hi - I'm getting this error in the log with "NEST Home 2"
nothing I need to worry about?

Code: Select all
   Error                           device "Heating Thermostat" state key humidityInput1 not defined (ignoring update request)
   Error                           device "Heating Thermostat" state key humidityInputsAll not defined (ignoring update request)
   Error                           device "Heating Thermostat" state key humidityInput1 not defined (ignoring update request)

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:43 am
Chameleon offline

marketability wrote:
Hi - I'm getting this error in the log with "NEST Home 2"
nothing I need to worry about?

Error                           device "Heating Thermostat" state key humidityInputsAll not defined (ignoring update request)

No it doesn't change anything. It's an odd error that seems to disappear on it's own - it's something to do with the initialisation of Indigo. You could try stopping and restarting the server but I wouldn't worry about it. Mine did that for a little while. I'll ask Matt and Jay and come back to you.

Mike

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:54 am
marketability offline

thanks

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:22 am
Tsjompie offline

Mike,

Just to make sure....

Is there any way I can use the "motion detection" from the thermostat or protect?

This would save me a motion sensor....

Thanks,

Tsjompie

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:47 am
jstoub offline

Many thanks for fixing those bugs. Much better now!

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:50 am
ryanbuckner offline

I;m going to install this today! Thanks.

I have 2 indoor dropcams *nestcams" and 2 Nest Protects. I'm happy to help test.

Posted on
Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:50 am
ryanbuckner offline

I'm still getting this error on Home 2.0.50

Jan 8, 2017, 6:23:13 AM
   NEST Home Error                 versionCheck: There was an error parsing the server's version file.

Posted on
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 am
Andres offline

Mike -- I haven't seen any posting on Nest Home for a while. Are you still working on the project? This is the best plugin in Indigo (by far). I'm a Python programmer and would be happy to pitch.

Do you have a source code repository we can look at?

Posted on
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am
durosity offline

He did post a few months ago saying he’d been ill and was recovering, and that he was getting back into it but AFAIK we’ve not heard anything from him since. I hope he’s ok.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:08 pm
rlust offline

Great plugin!
How do I display Nest variables in Control Pages?
Like Humidity, Current Temp, Adjust Temp?

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 pm
dduff617 offline

rlust, not sure if i get the point of your question, but if you create a new object on a control page, set it as follows (e.g. for humidity):

Display: "Display State" For: <select your nest thermostat object from menu of objects> Zone 1 Humidity

the hard part can be sorting out the large number of different states that are available (there are about 60 different ones!). for simple things (such as humidity, current temp, etc.) i would recommend sticking with the standard Indigo-defined states that are common to all thermostats. They appear at the top of the states menu when configuring the item on your control page.

if you want to make a control page that can control the thermostat, you'd put in buttons and assign actions to them to increase/decrease the current setpoint, or select a pre-configured set point value or whatever. in this regard, Nest thermostat works with your control page pretty much exactly the same as any other thermostat in Indigo, unless you want to work with Nest-specific features/settings like running the fan for a fixed amount of time and things like that.

Posted on
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 am
rlust offline

Thanks for the quick response, works well!