Fan Control Quit Functioning

Posted on
Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:55 pm
Parp offline

Fan Control Quit Functioning

As of this morning, fan control no longer works for me.

Anyone else having problems? Or does yours still work normally?

What happened to Mike (Chameleon)?

Posted on
Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 am
jalves offline

Re: Fan Control Quit Functioning

Oops, sorry my original response (below) was written without noticing that this was the NEST section of the boards.

Assuming you are talking about a FanLinc, all three of mine are working fine this morning.
Last edited by jalves on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:34 am
Parp offline

To clarify, the Nest Home plugin no longer controls my HVAC fan. I am no longer able to control "auto on" or "always on". The plugin previously accessed the fan timer function of the Nest thermostat to allow control of the HVAC fan.

It still reports the state of the fan properly with the exception that it now displays "always on" when the system is actively heating or cooling. It started doing that a few weeks ago. The complete loss of fan control began yesterday, 4/8/16.

I believe Nest changed some of the fan timer parameters on their end, and the plugin needs to be tweaked to deal those changes.

It would be nice to learn what other Nest Home plugin users are experiencing.

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:18 am
Chameleon offline

Parp wrote:
To clarify, the Nest Home plugin no longer controls my HVAC fan. I am no longer able to control "auto on" or "always on". The plugin previously accessed the fan timer function of the Nest thermostat to allow control of the HVAC fan.

It still reports the state of the fan properly with the exception that it now displays "always on" when the system is actively heating or cooling. It started doing that a few weeks ago. The complete loss of fan control began yesterday, 4/8/16.

I believe Nest changed some of the fan timer parameters on their end, and the plugin needs to be tweaked to deal those changes.

It would be nice to learn what other Nest Home plugin users are experiencing.

Parp

I've been away abroad for the last few months and I've just returned to the UK. I think you're right about changes in the NEST API. Let me have a look and I'll come back to you soon.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 am
Cheezmo offline

I'm seeing the same thing. Switching from Auto On to Always On does turn on the fan, but I can no longer turn it of by switching it back to Auto On.

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:16 am
Chameleon offline

Hiya

I've looked at the problem all of yesterday and I've reproduced it on my simulator setup. I'm trying to work out why the API isn't accepting the value now. I think it's to do with a new set of rules that Google have introduced with 3rd Gen. Specifically around a) you can't set the fan if the system is in away or auto away, b) you must have an independent fan and it mustn't be in a c) Safety Cut-off state. My gut feel is that the new 'rules' have been incorrectly implemented in their API but we'll see.

Now I've tried switching the fan in the NEST Simulator but it simply isn't changing the fan_timer_active flag via the API so I've put a ticket into Google for their comments. I'll let you know what happens.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 am
Parp offline

Hi Mike,

I am sometimes able to turn the fan on, but never able to turn it off. I tested to see if disabling auto away has any affect. It doesn't.

Just to reinforce the idea that it is a problem on Nest's end, I have a couple of other apps that have quit working also. Simple Control (aka Roomie Remote) and Kontrol have the exact same fan issue as the Nest Home plugin. So hopefully Nest will recognize that they have introduced a problem. And I hope that bit of info is helpful to you.

We are glad you're back!!

Lynn

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 2:50 pm
Cheezmo offline

Looks like whatever Nest did on the back end that broke it is fixed. The plugin can now turn the fan on and off again.

Page 1 of 1