Oops - I misinterpreted what Nest Home 1, 2 and 3 were!

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:01 pm
yergeyj offline

Oops - I misinterpreted what Nest Home 1, 2 and 3 were!

OK, I just updated a defunct Venstar T1700 thermostat under Indigo control to a Nest 3rd Generation Thermostat, and decided it was time to get the Nest Home Plugin; I also have 9 Nest Protects in the house (boiler room, finished basement, kitchen, upstairs hallway, 5 bedrooms).

Assuming (hold the old jokes please) that Nest Home 1, Nest Home 2, and Nest Home 3 were somehow related to which generation thermostat I was installing, I downloaded, installed, generated an API key and am completely functional with the Nest Home 3 plugin. All seems to work well, except that I had to poke around to find why the devices have an active "Edit Setting" that looks for your other "iFindStuff GeoFence" plugin which I do not have or need.

I then realized that the Nest Home 3 was presumably for those who have 3 different locations under a single Nest account. :oops:

Do I need to remove all the devices, uninstall the plugin, and reinstall Nest Home, and if I do so, can I just copy out the API key and reuse it? Or, should/can I just live with the Nest Home 3 plugin, even though I have only a single location?

Jim

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:31 pm
mwoodage offline

Re: Oops - I misinterpreted what Nest Home 1, 2 and 3 were!

Thanks for asking the question - I too have Nest 3 as I thought it was for the 3rd generation! I only have one Nest thermostat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:50 pm
yergeyj offline

Re: Oops - I misinterpreted what Nest Home 1, 2 and 3 were!

Well, I decided to try to get back to a clean state, and as such followed the directions below to delete my Nest Home 3 plugin, having saved my Nest API Authorization Key first:

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=14648#p101581

... and then installed "plain" Nest Home.

All worked well, except that I had to redo all of the Triggers, Schedules, Actions and Control Page stuff I had set up for my thermostat. Having just installed the Nest Thermostat in place of the Venstar one this past week, and not having yet deleted the Venstar device, what I should have done is gone through all these items and selected the Venstar thermostat, then after the reinstall I could have just reselected the new Nest Thermostat. Oh well.

Thanks again for the Nest Home Plugin - just getting started with using it fully, but I already like it A LOT!

Jim

Page 1 of 1