OT: Nest long term usage history/archive feature?

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:53 pm
spiv offline

OT: Nest long term usage history/archive feature?

I apologize for posting here, but the Nest company forums are useless and I know there are a lot of very smart people here.

New Nest user, not yet using the plug-in, but considering it, if only.....

I just realized that Nest only keeps 10 days worth of usage data available through the web/app interface. Has anyone solved this by creating some kind of archiving app or script that uses the Nest API to log usage data to a CSV file so it can be imported into a spreadsheet (or other apps) for longer-term data logging and data analysis?

Seems like a big limitation on Nest's part that they have ignored this request for several years.

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:08 am
Chameleon offline

Re: OT: Nest long term usage history/archive feature?

spiv wrote:
I apologize for posting here, but the Nest company forums are useless and I know there are a lot of very smart people here.

I just realized that Nest only keeps 10 days worth of usage data available through the web/app interface. Has anyone solved this by creating some kind of archiving app or script that uses the Nest API to log usage data to a CSV file so it can be imported into a spreadsheet (or other apps) for longer-term data logging and data analysis?

Seems like a big limitation on Nest's part that they have ignored this request for several years.

Agreed - I've hadn't really thought about that. I'd need to investigate the API a little more but in theory it wouldn't be that difficult to add to the plug in if I could get the actual energy usage. Let me look into it.

Thanks for the idea

Mike

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 am
Chameleon offline

spiv wrote:

Ok I've looked at the API in more detail. It's certainly possible that the NEST Home plugin could reproduce the NEST report and maintain an archived record of what's been happening. My initial thoughts are:

Historical over time
    Indoor Temperature
    Indoor Humidity
    Setpoints (Heat/Cool) changes
    Hours heating/cooling
    Hours fan on
    Leafs
    Away/Home
    iFindStuff connections (how/when devices change away/home if enabled)

General report
    Name
    Set up (heating/cooling or combination, fan, etc...)

It would be possible to do the same for protects (although the report would be much simpler)

There's no logical constraint on how much data is stored on the local system. I would probably create reports for Monthly or specified Time Period with the option of including or excluding information from the report. Printed text and CSV files would be the easiest to produce.

Is this what you've got in mind? I suspect you're not the only one

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:26 pm
spiv offline

Awesome if you can add that!

From a cost/benefit ratio, having that much added capability would really entice/motivate me to get the plug-in working. Until now, I do so little with my Nest (just on and off manually - I don't like trusting Nest to cycle my heat or a/c), that integrating with Indigo hasn't been a priority, but tracking usage is a pain if I don't remember to check at least once very 10 days or so.

(I realize that others may have more sophisticated scheduling and perhaps even do more with occupancy sensing via motion sensor or door sensor triggers, but everyone's use case is different.)

Posted on
Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:03 am
kw123 offline

Indigo has something place to manage it: sqlogger. All devices/ states and variables are stored in that database. I have mine running for 2 years. ALL data is in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:58 am
Chameleon offline

spiv wrote:
Awesome if you can add that!

From a cost/benefit ratio, having that much added capability would really entice/motivate me to get the plug-in working. Until now, I do so little with my Nest (just on and off manually - I don't like trusting Nest to cycle my heat or a/c), that integrating with Indigo hasn't been a priority, but tracking usage is a pain if I don't remember to check at least once very 10 days or so.

(I realize that others may have more sophisticated scheduling and perhaps even do more with occupancy sensing via motion sensor or door sensor triggers, but everyone's use case is different.)

Karl has a good point that all of the data is already held in sqlLogger but I do understand that extracting information in the right format isn't that easy especially if you're not an SQL user already. With that concept in mind, and a desire to learn more on data management in Python, I've now added that functionality as part of a Beta release (2.0.30) which adds simple reporting, monitoring and exporting functionality to the plugin.

Regards

Mike

Page 1 of 1