Authentication Key

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:20 am
ehuck offline

Authentication Key

Hi,

I followed the steps to get the key and I'm not seeing it when I log in on the Nest site. Any suggestions?

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:30 am
Chameleon offline

Re: Authentication Key

The option to get a pin in configuration screen should work... I've had no reported issues. If you check API Help you'll see a button to get your PIN. When you log into the browser that opens you should get a pin. Check the box... I've got a PIN and enter it in the new field that appears and click Click this button to get you secure PIN.

When you do this your unique key should be entered for you in the Nest Authorisation Key field. The click save.

If that doesn't work let me know :)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:03 pm
ehuck offline

I figured it out! Thanks!!!

Posted on
Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:36 am
Mirko offline

Hi,

I am trying to get an Authorization Key but I am lost.
I have 4 Nest Smoke alarms (I think 1st gen)
I log in on either my Nest account or my Developer account that I got because of the Authorization Key.
But I do not see anywhere to go and get this Authorization Key.

How do I get an API Key?NEST Home willgenerate your API keys for you automatically. If you install NEST Home and then use the new feature Get Help with APIon the Configuration Dialogyou can quickly get going. This was a problem for lots of people a month ago so I thought it would be good if I could make it easier. When youfirst install NEST Home you'll be asked to create an API key. If you click on 'Get Help' and clickGet Nest PIN-NEST Home will lead you through the process.xSTAGE1: NEST Home will open up your browser and navigate to the home.nest.com site. You'll be asked to log into your home.nest.com account usingyour username (typically your email) and password. When you login nest will display a short PIN code (like ZASDRE). Write this code down, or paste it to the clipboard. Now you're ready for stage 2xSTAGE 2: Close your browser window and return back to the Configuration dialog. Select 'I've got a PIN' and enter your PIN CODE into the textfield. When you clickGenerate NEST API Key. NEST Home will automatically create a key and enter it in the correct field at the top of the dialog.

I have my home.nest.com site. I log in using my name and password but NO display of a short PIN code............

Could you please help me out here?

Would be great.

Thanks

Regards

Mirko
Last edited by Mirko on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:38 am
Chameleon offline

Mirko wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to get an Authorization Key but I am lost.
I have 4 Nest Smoke alarms (I think 1st gen)
I log in on either my Nest account or my Developer account that I got because of the Authorization Key.
But I do not see anywhere to go and get this Authorization Key.

Could you please help me out here?

Would be great.

Thanks

Regards

Mirko

Hi

Ok, I'll try. You should be able to get a key fairly easily.

First of all, you need to be on the computer that is actually running indigo (Client). You can't get a key on a remote server as it needs to open the web browser on your Mac

Ok - this is the process with some screen shots:

1. Go to the NEST Home configuration dialogue with Plugins/NEST Home/Config... and you should get a dialog like this one:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.03.11.png
    NEST Home dialog box
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.03.11.png (110.71 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

2. Now make sure that the API Help?: checkbox is checked like in my example and the Click this button to get your PIN button will be displayed

3. Click the button!

4. After a few seconds, it should respond by opening your browser to the home.nest.com page

5. You will then get a permissions page which you have to accept if you want to use NEST Home. It looks something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.06.45.png
    NEST Permissions on home.nest.com
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.06.45.png (180.05 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

6. Click Continue and you will get the login screen like this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.10.06.png
    home.nest.com - login screen
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.10.06.png (34.88 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

7. Login using the normal username and password for your domestic account where the NEST Protects have been registered and click Sign-in

8. The site will respond with an eight digit code similar to this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.11.58.png
    NEST Home PIN Display
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.11.58.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

(I've removed the last two digits for security reasons :-))

9. Highlight the code and copy it to your clipboard (i.e. Command+C or Edit/Copy - you can now close your browser

10. Now return back to Indigo and the dialog screen

11. Check the I've got a PIN box and two new options will appear like this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.15.44.png
    NEST API Generate Screen
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.15.44.png (114.94 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

12. Now click into the Enter your PIN in capitals field and either paste the clipboard Command+V or Edit/Paste. Alternatively, you can just type in the PIN that was displayed in the web browser!

13. Finally, Click - Generate NEST API Key and NEST Home should automatically grab you a unique secure key and paste it into the Your NEST Authorisation field at the top of the dialog

14. Click Save

15. Now wait and see what happens. It should automatically create a new folder under devices called NEST Home, create a Master Device and a new device for each of your Protects based on the name you entered during your registration on the home.nest.com site. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.21.53.png
    NEST Home Devices
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 15.21.53.png (80.87 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

Don't be surprised if it doesn't create the folder and devices immediately - it can take up to 10 mins for the first login. After that, it simply maintains the devices based on what's in your account automatically. Basically, it mirrors your account so if you've got 4 Protects (all versions 1-3 are supported) then those are the devices it will find in your account and create. If you delete a device in your account or rename it or even add something else (protect, thermostat or camera) it will change your Indigo setup to match.

Now you can spend some time with the features. I suggest you read the manual for what NEST Home can do.

You should be able to find a link to the PDF file here: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=14239

Hope that helps

Let me know if you have a problem

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:52 am
Mirko offline

Thank you so much!!
:D :D

Posted on
Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:08 am
Mirko offline

The NEST Home folder appeared immediately with all devices in it!

It is a fabulous plugin!!

I have a question:

- Can I change the name of the folder in Indigo (NEST Home)?
-Can I change the device name in INDIGO of the NEST protect?
- Can I implement my wife as another NEST Home Master?

Thanks

Regards

Mirko

Posted on
Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:33 am
Chameleon offline

Mirko wrote:
The NEST Home folder appeared immediately with all devices in it!

It is a fabulous plugin!!

I have a question:

- Can I change the name of the folder in Indigo (NEST Home)?
-Can I change the device name in INDIGO of the NEST protect?
- Can I implement my wife as another NEST Home Master?

Thanks

Regards

Mirko

Mirko

In response to your questions:

1. Yes you can replace the name of the folder. It doesn't matter what it's called. If you want you can also drag the devices into other folders rather than having them in the NEST Home one.

2. Yes you can change the name of the device by editing the device in the normal way. Nest Home isn't picky - it actually uses a unique code for identification so the name is just window dressing

3. Not quite sure what you mean here. If you're wanting to set up another NEST account with it's own devices you can install NEST Home 2 or 3. If you're asking, can your wife control the NEST from indigo - sure if you've both got access to the relevant control pages. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Regards

Mike

Page 1 of 1