[ANSWERED] When the internet connection is lost....

Posted on
Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 am
CraftGeek offline

[ANSWERED] When the internet connection is lost....

Running the latest version of Nest Home (as of 5/22/15) and Indigo 6.1.0.

I verified that the plugin was getting status from my Nest and all 8 Nest Protects.

Then, to test a theory, I pulled the plug on my cable modem. I left the house network up so I still had Wifi and Ethernet connection to all devices.

The plugin stopped receiving data from all Nest devices until internet access was restored. So, that tells me that Indigo will not be able to react to any changes or alerts from my smoke detectors unless the house has a functioning internet AND it is reliant on a solid connection to the Nest company datacenter and their services. Have I got that right?

Here is a section of log showing the repeating plugin messages during comm loss and then recovery:
Code: Select all
May 23, 2015, 9:27:15 AM
  NEST Home                       Problem accessing NEST API - try again in 60 seconds
  NEST Home                       Problem accessing NEST API - try again in 60 seconds
  NEST Home                       Nest Has detected the following devices...no NEST Thermostats and: no NEST Protects
  NEST Home Error                 Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 1362, in runConcurrentThread
  File "plugin.py", line 293, in nestMapping
<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'nestDevices' referenced before assignment

NEST Home Error                 plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
  NEST Home                       Nest Has detected the following devices...no NEST Thermostats and: no NEST Protects

<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'nestDevices' referenced before assignment

NEST Home Error                 plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

May 23, 2015, 9:28:35 AM

NEST Home                       Nest Has detected the following devices...1 NEST Thermostats and: 8 NEST Protects

May 23, 2015, 9:32:04 AM
  NEST Home                       Thermostat Thermostat (Downstairs)  last_connection updated to 2015-05-23T15:31:37.603Z
  NEST Home                       Thermostat Thermostat (Downstairs)  is_online updated to True
  NEST Home                       Thermostat Thermostat (Downstairs)  ambient_temperature_f updated to 69
Last edited by CraftGeek on Sun May 24, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Posted on
Sat May 23, 2015 11:01 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: When the internet connection is lost....

This is a big part of the reason that I dumped my Nest onto eBay.

No WAN = no Nest in Indigo.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat May 23, 2015 1:50 pm
Chameleon offline

Re: When the internet connection is lost....

You're both correct - no internet no control. It's a problem that I can't resolve sorry :?

It's always been a limitation because I can't get call the local URL directly as it just refuses my connection.

Good to see that you've got all 8 of the NEST Protects working but you are right. You won't get any notice that there's a problem in NEST world until your internet is restored and that's a limitation that I should document. I doubt that NEST will want to change that because Google will want you to connect so they can get information.

However, they've performed pretty well over the last 12 months and I've got some Fibaro Smoke Detectors that support them (that said they aren't always that reliable anyway) so I'm banking on one of the two warning me. The main reason I like the NEST Protects is that they are connected and we get warnings all over the house when they go off regardless of how Indigo is feeling at the moment.

Oh well - we can only do what we can do :D

Mike

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 12:30 pm
CraftGeek offline

Re: [Answered] When the internet connection is lost....

Thanks Mike.

I'm working on a back up path to the internet for my Indigo that uses a USB modem and modified routing tables. If I get it working this could be used for the Nest communications too.

Sean

Sean

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 pm
Chameleon offline

Re: [ANSWERED] When the internet connection is lost....

Now that sounds like a plan :D Well beyond my abilities at the moment but you're right it could resolve this issue. That would be a cool addition of functionality.

Are you happy to cooperate and try to get that working?

Mike

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 1:55 pm
CraftGeek offline

Sure.

The setup is going to be a Verizon comparable USB modem that is alway on, so no scripting required for failover.

I plan to modify the Mac's routing table so that the IP used for email to SMS goes through the modem by preference and all other traffic has a high preference for the regular broadband connection.

This should keep software updates and browsing off the cellular data plan. If the cell goes down, alert traffic should automatically divert to the regular internet.

We'll see.

Sean

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 pm
Chameleon offline

Sounds great - even more scary is that I actually understand what you're saying :D

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 pm
CraftGeek offline

Failed to mention:
We have a family cell data plan with pooled data and minutes so there should be no extra cost.

Sean

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 1:59 pm
Chameleon offline

Interesting - we have the same with TalkTalk (UK) so it will be interesting to see if they're compatible.

M

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2015 7:26 pm
CraftGeek offline

There may be a month device connection fee. ours is $10 per device. I have an old iPad that does not need to be connected anymore so i will take that off and put the modem on the plan. Net zero.

Sean

Posted on
Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:19 pm
CrafftGeek offline

Test from Tapatalk. Ignore.

Page 1 of 1