[LOCKED] NEST Beta Forum - Feedback and support requests

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 am
Chameleon offline

Re: NEST Beta Forum - Feedback and support requests

Try deleting the preferences file (/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Preferences)

Delete the file that contains corporatechameleon

let me know if that helps...

Mike

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 1:08 pm
pegoto offline

Hi,

Which variable would show me that my nest is heating or not? The variables I thought looked like the ones do not work and I see no other question like this so...I believe I missed it. Please help.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2015 5:18 pm
CraftGeek offline

Chameleon wrote:
Try deleting the preferences file (/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Preferences)

Delete the file that contains corporatechameleon

let me know if that helps...

Mike

Mike,

That solved it... mostly.

I deleted the plugin file and the preferences file you mentioned. Restarted the server. Downloaded a fresh plugin. Executed. The installation worked without error. The token field was blank so I entered my token. Everything came up. The previously reported errors did not reoccur except one:

NEST Home Error versionCheck: There was an error parsing the server's version file.

This happened on initial plugin install. but did not reoccur.

Code: Select all
  Installing and enabling plugin "NEST Home" v1.2.72
  Loading plugin "NEST Home 1.2.72"
  Starting plugin "NEST Home 1.2.72" (pid 77383)
  Started plugin "NEST Home 1.2.72"
  NEST Home Error                 versionCheck: There was an error parsing the server's version file.

May 25, 2015, 5:05:26 PM
  NEST Home                       Basement Nest Protect last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t22:19:12.470z
  NEST Home                       Craft Room Nest Protect (Upstairs) last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t22:49:33.918z
  NEST Home                       Downstairs Hallway Nest Protect last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t22:46:52.448z
  NEST Home                       Living Room Nest Protect last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t22:46:50.828z
  NEST Home                       Master Bedroom Nest Protect last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t16:54:34.730z
  NEST Home                       Office Nest Protect (Downstairs) last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t12:28:28.302z
  NEST Home                       Upstairs Nest Protect (Hallway) last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t22:49:31.601z
  NEST Home                       Upstairs Nest Protect (Office) last_connection updated to 2015-05-25t22:49:32.533z
  NEST Home                       NEST nestPostcode has changed to 80538

May 25, 2015, 5:06:34 PM
  NEST Home                       Thermostat Thermostat (Downstairs)  last_connection updated to 2015-05-25T23:05:33.279Z

Sean

Posted on
Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 am
Chameleon offline

I'll check it later today. Thanks for your patience. There does seem to be an issue with the preferences file getting corrupted occasionally. I think I might have to ask Matt or Jay what they think it might be,

Mike

Posted on
Tue May 26, 2015 6:37 pm
artpics offline

still getting the errors. i have deleted the prefs file.

NEST Home Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
NEST Home Error Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 1418, in runConcurrentThread
File "plugin.py", line 329, in nestMapping
<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'nestDevices' referenced before assignment

but the thermostat is working to all triggers, commands and triggers. any way to suppress this

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 1:34 am
Chameleon offline

The latest version should do that as I've trapped the error now. Are you using the latest version 1.2.80? If not that should resolve it. If you have I've missed something in the code and I'll fix it tonight. I know exactly what the issue is .

Let me know if this works as soon as you can. I've been fixing minor bugs over the last couple of days because I want the plugin to be stable before I add new features.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 1:51 am
Chameleon offline

pegoto wrote:
Hi,

Which variable would show me that my nest is heating or not? The variables I thought looked like the ones do not work and I see no other question like this so...I believe I missed it. Please help.

Sorry I missed your post.

Although the NEST API doesn't provide these simple fields I have added them now. There are three that should be updated at each refresh. IsCooling (Yes or no), IsHeating and heatOrCool (Heating, Cooling, Saving Energy or Off). These provide the information you're looking for. These should be available if your using NEST Home 1.2.80 (the latest version). How these fields work and calculated are covered in the Latest Software release notes forum under version 1.1.36.

You've reminded me that I need to update the FAQ s again :D

Remember these fields won't be updated until the first refresh. If these fields remain blank on yoursystem then we've got an issue I need to resolve and we'll have to investigate further :)

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 3:29 am
artpics offline

here is a new error

May 27, 2015, 2:16:31 AM
Upgrading plugin "NEST Home" to newer version 1.2.80 (previous version moved to trash)
Loading plugin "NEST Home 1.2.80"
Starting plugin "NEST Home 1.2.80" (pid 36172)
Started plugin "NEST Home 1.2.80"

File "plugin.py", line 1423, in runConcurrentThread
File "plugin.py", line 332, in nestMapping
File "plugin.py", line 983, in nestDeviceSync
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: string indices must be integers, not str

NEST Home Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 am
Chameleon offline

Darn thought ID caught all those. I'll look at it tonight and PM you. Mike

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 pm
Chameleon offline

artpics wrote:
here is a new error

May 27, 2015, 2:16:31 AM
Upgrading plugin "NEST Home" to newer version 1.2.80 (previous version moved to trash)
Loading plugin "NEST Home 1.2.80"
Starting plugin "NEST Home 1.2.80" (pid 36172)
Started plugin "NEST Home 1.2.80"

File "plugin.py", line 1423, in runConcurrentThread
File "plugin.py", line 332, in nestMapping
File "plugin.py", line 983, in nestDeviceSync
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: string indices must be integers, not str

Artpics

Thanks for finding the last couple of bugs - I know it's frustrating but the plugin gets more robust with every user you patiently tries it. I've released a new version into the wild. Have a look at the LATEST NEST Home Software Forum at: viewtopic.php?f=170&t=14079 for more details.

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Sun May 31, 2015 11:17 am
Parp offline

Guys,

You may have noticed all of the "rapid fire" version changes over the past few days. Mike has been doing an amazing job of chasing down little (and not-so-little) bugs, adding features, and making one tweak after another to make the plugin the best it can be.

So here's a big THANK YOU to Mike (aka Chameleon)!!

Posted on
Sun May 31, 2015 3:01 pm
pegoto offline

Chameleon wrote:
pegoto wrote:
Hi,

Sorry I missed your post.

Although the NEST API doesn't provide these simple fields I have added them now. There are three that should be updated at each refresh. IsCooling (Yes or no), IsHeating and heatOrCool (Heating, Cooling, Saving Energy or Off). These provide the information you're looking for. These should be available if your using NEST Home 1.2.80 (the latest version). How these fields work and calculated are covered in the Latest Software release notes forum under version 1.1.36.

You've reminded me that I need to update the FAQ s again :D

Remember these fields won't be updated until the first refresh. If these fields remain blank on yoursystem then we've got an issue I need to resolve and we'll have to investigate further :)

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, that did the trick and now I would know when is the best time to change my air filters instead of just blindly doing it every 30 days.

Posted on
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:07 pm
mikeL offline

Thank you, Mike, for this great plugin. The hvac_state attribute in 1.3.10 is working well for me, so far. I use that attribute to trigger energy usage calculations for my AC and heating system.

Do you have any news on Goggle’s plans to allow us to turn the fan on and off at will? During warm periods, my cooling system pumps a bunch of cold air into the basement of my house. This air is essentially trapped in the basement. This happens because the central heating/cooling system in my typical Canadian house is located in the basement and its ducts are quite leaky. If I turn the fan on without the AC operating, the cold air gets pushed up into the main part of the house. I do this now using the Nest app, but Indigo could do this automatically if only we could control the fan through the API.

I look forward to seeing this functionality in the plugin someday. Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:26 pm
Chameleon offline

mikeL wrote:
Thank you, Mike, for this great plugin. The hvac_state attribute in 1.3.10 is working well for me, so far. I use that attribute to trigger energy usage calculations for my AC and heating system.

Do you have any news on Goggle’s plans to allow us to turn the fan on and off at will? During warm periods, my cooling system pumps a bunch of cold air into the basement of my house. This airis essentially trapped in the basement. This happens because the central heating/cooling system in my typical Canadian house is located in the basement and its ducts are quite leaky. If I turn the fan on without the AC operating, the cold air gets pushed up into the main part of the house. I do this now using the Nest app, but Indigo could do this automatically if only we could control the fan through the API.

I look forward to seeing this functionality in the plugin someday. Thanks,
Mike

Mike

Glad it's working so well for you. Google are staying very quiet on fan control in the API. Seeing as you just about control everything else it's a strange omission.

You're not the first to ask. After generating a key, hvac state and protect fields its a close call. However, now I've got the the majority of beta bugs stablised I'm going to code a workaround or at least try to. I'm fairly sure it's possible and I've started already. May come to nothing but I've cleared the decks so I can try. If I'm right I'll probably do an Alpha test version first and I'll keep you in mind for that test group if its works. Let me see how it goes...

Actually I'm hoping that following past experience just as I finish the workaround (e.g. calculated hvac state) Google will suddenly release a new set of fields. It's what happens :roll:

Regards

Mike

Posted on
Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:33 pm
Chameleon offline

Quick update.

Fan control added to features. Download the latest software from the forum (1.3.21)

Mike