digital fence feature in Fingbox

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 am
rbdubz3 offline

digital fence feature in Fingbox

Any thoughts on extending the fing plugin to include fingbox 'digital fence' functionality - https://www.fing.io/support/digitalfence-feature/ ?

If not, any info on how this is done? Is special hardware needed or can this be done with existing wireless routers? From what I read the DigitalFence feature requires that 'devices in range' have WIFI turned on, and it can detect the signals regardless of whether someone is actively attempting to connect to your Wifi.

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 pm
neilk offline

Re: digital fence feature in Fingbox

This requires the FingBox which has it’s own Wi-fi radio to detect nearby Wi-fi clients, as well as the network scanning, speed testing, monitoring and presence detection etc that it does. Pretty sure they are focussed on the hardware/app features now rather than the app itself and the old client, especially as Apple has hamstring the app based scanner now by limiting app access to Mac addresses.

They have not yet published an API for this but one is in the works and it has potential for a number of use cases. I think someone mentioned they will work on a plug-in when it is made available.

It does work very well, I have since gone all in with UniFi so less critical to me thanks to Karl’s excellent plugin.

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 am
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks for the info.. I am a newbie on Unifi but looks alot more full feature than most home-based networking stuff. Looks like I would need to purchase new hardware is that right?

Right now I have Apple Airport Extreme and also an Express for network extender. Any simple low-cost Unifi option I can add to my network to utilize the Unifi plugin to achieve 'digital fence' like functionalities?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am
kw123 offline

I have 3 spare unifi ap pro (wifi access points) , the previous version -- upgraded to the next version, but I do not see any real improvement in actual speed-- .. willing to sell for $30 + shipping. looking like new , all parts still in the box . -- if not I will sell them on eBay

you would need the gateway (~$116) and the controller (~$80) @ amazon

Eventually you will want the unifi switches.. starting w switch 8- 60 watts (with 4 POE outlets)

Karl

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 am
DaveL17 offline

Nice Karl. That’s a heck of a deal for someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am
autolog offline

kw123 wrote:
I have 3 spare unifi ap pro (wifi access points) , the previous version -- upgraded to the next version, but I do not see any real improvement in actual speed-- .. willing to sell for $30 + shipping. looking like new , all parts still in the box . -- if not I will sell them on eBay

you would need the gateway (~$116) and the controller (~$80) @ amazon

Eventually you will want the unifi switches.. starting w switch 8- 60 watts (with 4 POE outlets)

Am I correct in saying that you don't need the controller if you run the controller server on your Mac? As my Indigo mac is running 24/7 I didn't think I needed the external Controller. :)

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm
kw123 offline

I tried it on the mac and had issues. But that was 2 years ago. It opened ports and did not close them. After 1 day the mac crashed.

Also tried it on an rpi. That worked fine. But for $80 it’s plug an play

and it fits nicely into the POE port of the central switch

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I've been running the UniFi controller software on my Indigo server Mac for almost two years. No issues at all. I now have 1xUSG, 3xUniFi WAPs, and 3xUniFi Switches (24 port, 24 port POE, 8 port).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:19 am
rbdubz3 offline

Can UniFi perform the 'digital fence'-like feature - basically detect Wifi clients in range even if they aren't trying to connect to your Wifi? I wanted to be able 'known' and unknown people - like cleaners in my house, or my kids friends/etc

If so, what is the bare-minimum needed? I have a Mac Mini so guess i can run the UniFi Controller for free

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 am
kw123 offline

It knows the neighbor routers , have not seen any info on not connected WiFi clients.

It knows if a WiFi client roams between access points and if it disconnects = you switch WiFi off on eg iphone.

If you can find anything in the UniFi discussion forums let’s me know.

Page 1 of 1