FINGSCAN - discussion

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:08 am
DVDDave offline

Re: FINGSCAN - discussion

DVDDave wrote:
Not able to send log right now but I did notice that it briefly showed my status as "down". Even though my phone wasn't doing anything. No restarts near that time. Router problem?

I looked more carefully at the Fingscan log and confirmed that it is showing brief downtimes for my iPhone several times per hour. They usually last less than a minute but sometimes a few minutes. I only saw one time that this happened to my wife's phone although there have been a few times her status shows as up but with no down before it.

My router's wireless log shows that both phones have been connected for the entire time we've been home. My router is an Asus RT-N66U running Merlin 378.55. I have not configured Fingscan for ASUS since the model and firmware are different from those you indicate are supported.

Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:31 am
kw123 offline

thats a normal time out behavior for wifi devices. In order to save battery they go into power save mode and only come back every xx minutes depending on battery level and AC power.

To rectify this increase the timeout for the iPhone to 30 minutes. That should catch all faulty "away" triggers but it will then take 30 minutes to detect the missing iPhone.

As I have switched to unify wifi I have no longer the asus router in service. So I will likely not create a version that deals with the new security protocol introduced by asus. (curl fails to connect to the router. need to do token stuff..)

Karl

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:40 am
DVDDave offline

kw123 wrote:
thats a normal time out behavior for wifi devices. In order to save battery they go into power save mode and only come back every xx minutes depending on battery level and AC power.

To rectify this increase the timeout for the iPhone to 30 minutes. That should catch all faulty "away" triggers but it will then take 30 minutes to detect the missing iPhone.

As I have switched to unify wifi I have no longer the asus router in service. So I will likely not create a version that deals with the new security protocol introduced by asus. (curl fails to connect to the router. need to do token stuff..)

Karl

OK, I'll give that a try. Maybe the different behavior with the 2 phones has to do with some background activity keeping her wifi more active than mine. That could also account for her battery going down faster than mine. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:25 am
DVDDave offline

Does Fingscan still work with Find my iDevice? I tried installing the latest version of Find my iDevice but it locks up Indigo when I create a device. In your instructions, you allude to a modified version with a link in your read.me file, but I could not find such a file or link. Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:30 pm
DVDDave offline

Based on an experiment I just did, it seems that the auto-created FINGscanEvents variables don't use the delay times specified for event triggers. Is that true? If so, I will maintain my own status variables based on the events triggers which seem to use the delays.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:33 pm
DVDDave offline

DVDDave wrote:
Does Fingscan still work with Find my iDevice? I tried installing the latest version of Find my iDevice but it locks up Indigo when I create a device. In your instructions, you allude to a modified version with a link in your read.me file, but I could not find such a file or link. Thanks.

--Dave

Turns out I was using an old version, not realizing a new discussion thread was created for Find my iDevice, so it does not lock up Indigo any longer. However, I'm still having trouble getting it to use my AppleID and it still does not show up in the Fingscan configuration dialog.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:31 pm
kw123 offline

after authentication problems with it I switched to FMID.

have not used it recently, but it checks if
"com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta" plugin is active and it should use that one.

If the name has changed(i.e. w/o Beta) we need to change the name too.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:26 pm
DVDDave offline

kw123 wrote:
after authentication problems with it I switched to FMID.

have not used it recently, but it checks if
"com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta" plugin is active and it should use that one.

If the name has changed(i.e. w/o Beta) we need to change the name too.

Karl

Assuming we're talking about the same thing, the corporate chameleon plugin is called iFindStuff. I installed it but Fingscan doesn't see it, probably due to the name I guess.
Edit: It may be at least partially working. The distance popups now show in the Event Setup dialog. However, it does not ask which iFindStuff device to use (as the instructions seem to say) so I'm not sure how FingScan would know. Does it use the MAC address to automatically associate the devices?

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 pm
kw123 offline

the version I have stalls as : com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:54 pm
DVDDave offline

kw123 wrote:
the version I have stalls as : com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta

Not sure what you mean by "stalls" but I can't find any reference to iFindplugBeta. Maybe an early version of iFindStuff which is in the Chameleon Plugins area?

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:19 pm
kw123 offline

This is the latest info.plist file and it has <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> <string>com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta</string> as ID.

this is what fingscan is using to interact with iFind. It is just a name.

Once a plugin is released it is very difficult to change the ID. it is essentially a new plugin when you change the ID. I guess thats why it is still "beta"

Karl

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>PluginVersion</key>
   <string>1.03.03</string>
   <key>ServerApiVersion</key>
   <string>1.19.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
   <string>iFindStuff</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>1.0.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
   <array>
      <dict>
         <key>CFBundleURLName</key>
         <string>http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=181</string>dat
      </dict>
   </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:25 pm
DVDDave offline

Ah,, I thought you were saying the name of the plugin is iFindplugBeta. So it should be working if I enable the linking in the iFindStuff plugin, right? If it were working, I think I should not be getting up and down events if I am in my home GeoFence. I'll try it for a while and see what happens. Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 pm
DVDDave offline

DVDDave wrote:
Based on an experiment I just did, it seems that the auto-created FINGscanEvents variables don't use the delay times specified for event triggers. Is that true? If so, I will maintain my own status variables based on the events triggers which seem to use the delays.

Just bumping this post. It might have gotten lost in my barrage of other questions. (Sorry to be such a newbie!)

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 pm
durosity offline

So is FING for macOS dead? Doesn’t seem to be listed on their site anymore. If so what’s the status on this project? (just trying to map out what I’m gonna do when I replace my 4th gen time capsule with a new one that doesn’t support SNMP)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:35 am
kw123 offline

FINGSCAN - discussion

The fing executable is included in the plugin. It will install it.
So if it runs on OS X. It will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 16 of 21 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21