Plex Media Server Manager Plugin - Beta

Posted on
Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:48 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Plex Media Server Manager Plugin - Beta

I am looking at the Roku3 -- good choice?

I like the Chromecast (which in this instance is for all intents and purposes the same as the Amazon Fire Stick, I've seen both) and Roku as the best two clients... as mentioned, the Roku 3 is more expensive but adds the advantage of being Indigo-controllable unlike the Chromecast/Fire Stick.

Is the mac mini going to be underpowered too? Time to upgrade?

Most likely not, but as mentioned if you have a bunch of concurrent transcoding sessions then you could see some slowdowns. If you store your movies in MP4 format, you may not even see much transcoding (though audio codecs come into play a bunch on certain devices, but audio is MUCH less intensive than video to manipulate.) I would start with Plex on the existing Mini and can always transfer to another should you find the need.

So, if I understand things, I should be able to store my video on the DS214+, run Plex on the mac mini, which will index the DS214+, and then stream to the Roku, which will provide the user interface on the TV and iOS devices, and overall control. Correct?

Yes, that should work fine -- on iOS devices the Plex app is pretty good and can play directly. In terms of your other content, I would personally not recommend having Plex attempt to read them via a network share; I tried this and it wasn't all that good (shares go to sleep, computers power down, etc.) So I would move that other content to the NAS if possible.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:26 pm
DaveL17 offline

Video: All of my video is stored on a 1st gen Drobo USB (7 TB) that's hooked up to an Airport Extreme. (This is the choke point of my system.)

Server: My Plex server is running on a mid-2010 iMac with 8 GB of RAM.

Clients: All of my clients are Roku 3s or Roku 2s and all are hardwired Ethernet back to the server rack (home run Ethernet).

This setup has been rock solid for me.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:27 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hey Adam - finally got around to installing the plugin. Have installed the server device, no dedicated clients as yet. Ran a quick test using my Macbook Air as a client and all seems well.

Thanks for releasing this. Looking forward to diving deeper.
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:03 pm
aTao offline

Hi Adam

Thanks for a great plug-in :D

I have tried to setup your artwork commands to run from a trigger, but I keep getting this error:

Code: Select all
  Trigger                         Update Plex Artwork
  Plex Media Server Manager       Invalid values sent for action 'Download Currently Playing Art'; the following errors were found:
  Plex Media Server Manager       Item : (dict)
     noArtworkFilename : Please enter a valid filename to which the art should be downloaded (string)

The only changes I have made from your code is my username in path, and I replaced <YOUR_DEVICE_ID> with the indigo device ID from my Plex client. Here is my code:

plexMediaServerManager = indigo.server.getPlugin("com.duncanware.plexMediaServerManager")
plexMediaServerManager.executeAction("downloadCurrentlyPlayingArt", 1341806270, props={"artElement":"art", "saveToFilename":"/Users/anders/Pictures/CurrentlyPlayingArt.png", "noArtworkFilename":"/Users/anders/Pictures/NoArtworkAvailablePlaceholder.png"})

Have I miss somthing? Do I need to create dummi files for "CurrentlyPlayingArt.png" and "NoArtworkAvailablePlaceholder.png"?

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:02 pm
sandconformgorgecloud offline

Hello,
On my side I have the following error :

Plex Media Server Manager Error Error executing effect for device id 164258234
  Plex Media Server Manager Error Error in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Plex Media Server Manager.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkDeviceResponse.py", line 166, in executeEffects
    eval("rpDevice." + effect.updateParam + "(responseObj, rpCommand)")
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Plex Media Server Manager.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/plexMediaServerDevices.py", line 85, in handlePlexMediaContainerResult
    self.indigoDevice.updateStateOnServer(key="serverVersion", value=plexContainer.containerAttributes["version"])
KeyError: 'version'

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Plex Media Server Manager.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/RPFramework/RPFrameworkDeviceResponse.py", line 166, in executeEffects
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Plex Media Server Manager.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/plexMediaServerDevices.py", line 90, in handlePlexMediaContainerResult
    self.indigoDevice.updateStateOnServer(key="activeSessionsCount", value=int(plexContainer.containerAttributes["size"]))
KeyError: 'size'

or debug

Plex Media Server Manager Debug Command queue has 1 command(s) waiting
  Plex Media Server Manager Debug Processing GET operation: /status/sessions
  Plex Media Server Manager Debug Command Response: [401] <html><head><title>Unauthorized</title></head><body><h1>401 Unauthorized</h1></body></html>
  Plex Media Server Manager Debug RESTFUL_GET command completed.
  Plex Media Server Manager Debug Found response match: plexMediaResponse
  Plex Media Server Manager Debug Effect execution: Calling function handlePlexMediaContainerResult
  Plex Media Server Manager Debug MediaContainer Information: {}

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Plex Media Server Manager.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/plexMediaServerDevices.py", line 90, in handlePlexMediaContainerResult
    self.indigoDevice.updateStateOnServer(key="activeSessionsCount", value=int(plexContainer.containerAttributes["size"]))
KeyError: 'size'

I see about error 401 but I don't know how to fix this ?
Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will love this one :)

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Have I miss somthing? Do I need to create dummi files for "CurrentlyPlayingArt.png" and "NoArtworkAvailablePlaceholder.png"?

I think what happened here is that my error message is incorrect -- the field name there is correct, but he description is wrong... So what is happening is that the image you specified for "No Artwork" does not exist; the idea behind this is that if no artwork is found for the current media item, the image at "No Artwork Found" is copied to the "Save to Filename." That is completely optional so you can pass in an empty string for now.

BTW, you can do this completely within the GUI -- you don't have to run it as a script. The Action Configuration provides explanations and descriptions of the fields so is easier to use. Let me know if you get it going!

Adam

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I see about error 401 but I don't know how to fix this ?
Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will love this one

That error is saying that your Plex server is not allowing connections -- one other user earlier in the thread also had this issue and fixed it himself; hopefully he will see this and give some insight as to why it isn't working. I THINK I found what was the issue before and can potentially add some options to the Server device to accommodate -- there is an option to "Require authentication on local networks" which you want to turn off.

I likely will add support for specifying a username and password, but for now that is your best bet.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:29 am
aTao offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

I think what happened here is that my error message is incorrect -- the field name there is correct, but he description is wrong... So what is happening is that the image you specified for "No Artwork" does not exist; the idea behind this is that if no artwork is found for the current media item, the image at "No Artwork Found" is copied to the "Save to Filename." That is completely optional so you can pass in an empty string for now.

BTW, you can do this completely within the GUI -- you don't have to run it as a script. The Action Configuration provides explanations and descriptions of the fields so is easier to use. Let me know if you get it going!

Adam

That did it! :lol:

I did not even look for the group yesterday, it is now setup and working.
I just need to find a good way to show artwork it on my control pages. So far, I only found URL pics dimensions to be controllable

Thanks for you help, and very fast respond.

BTW: I Found your plug-in from the Indigo twitter account. Hope this "advertising" will continue, it is a very good way to find great plug-ins

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:55 am

Yep I read his post but he did not explained what he did :( hehe
So just to be clear I checked in the preference that local subnet is able to connect without authentification.
And I call it by (local) IP.

Another question, the version is 0.7.15, log says that version is current.
But when I ask for update in the menu, it says that I have this 0.7.15 version but the latest available is 0.5.15 :)

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:04 am
RogueProeliator offline

I just need to find a good way to show artwork it on my control pages. So far, I only found URL pics dimensions to be controllable

I use a refreshing URL that points to the file into which you are saving the artwork -- it looks something like this (obviously depending on the path and filename):
file:///Users/aashe/Pictures/PlexArtwork.jpg
One note, the image won't show up in your control page editor using this method if you are using the Indigo client on a remote Mac, but it will still show fine in the control pages when viewed.

So just to be clear I checked in the preference that local subnet is able to connect without authentification.
And I call it by (local) IP.

Try closing all browser windows (to end all authentication sessions) and then go to http://[IPADDRESS]:32400/status/sessions and see what is returned and/or if it makes you enter login credentials.

But when I ask for update in the menu, it says that I have this 0.7.15 version but the latest available is 0.5.15

Sometimes during beta periods I will push a new version out there without updating the notification session if the changes are not significant and not worth the upgrade for users already on a previous version (but new downloads would still pick it up). Anytime there is a bug fix or new feature, though, I update the current version for the "new version check".

Adam

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 am

:D OK I found
It's true you need to accept connections, but this is not on the client side but under Server :
Under network, >Show Advanced Parameters< and add your network subnet, like "192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0" so it's finally like :
127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255,192.168.19.1/255.255.255.0
Then it works good : remember then anybody have access without restriction inside this network. :lol:

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 pm

I have a request :
My NAS is not always up and actually the logs say this at every check :
Plex Media Server Manager Error An error occurred executing the GET/PUT request (Device: 164258234): timed out
Plex Media Server Manager Error An error occurred executing the GET/PUT request (Device: 164258234): [Errno 65] No route to host
Plex Media Server Manager Error An error occurred executing the GET/PUT request (Device: 164258234): [Errno 64] Host is down

(for Server and Client)

Would it be possible to include a condition based on a variable (NAS is UP, check, NAS is DOWN, don't check and report down), or something like that ?

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:51 am
aTao offline

Did not know you can use the "file://" path! Nice

Posted on
Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 am
RogueProeliator offline

My NAS is not always up and actually the logs say this at every check :

I believe you can disable the device via a quick Python script; when disabled the status won't be polled/updated. When you are ready to use, you would kick off the communication again. From the Wiki, looks like you can do this:
indigo.device.enable(123, value=True) #enable
indigo.device.enable(123, value=False) #disable

Adam

Posted on
Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:21 am
edrabbit offline

This. Is. Awesome! Thank you so much for putting it together. Working like a charm for me. I'm currently using it to dim my lights appropriately and log what I'm watching.

Only two issues so far:
1. In your post you mentioned "currentlPlayingTitleYear" I thought it was a typo in the post, but sure enough when I changed it to "currentlyPlayingTitleYear" Indigo complained.
2. Looks like Indigo doesn't like the large thumbnails that get downloaded when I add them to a control page. Any way to work around this? I'm seeing:
  WebServer                       file:///Users/fakeusername/plex_currently_playing.jpg size too large: received 2981285 / max 768000