Mac System Plugin: Some Apps recognized, some not so much

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:42 am
whmoorejr offline

Mac System Plugin: Some Apps recognized, some not so much

Mac System Plugin 2.0.1 on Yosemite

I see a lot of potential for this plugin, but I'm running into issues with setup.

My goal is to use the plugin to monitor the 4 other applications on my indigo computer that have indigo responsibilities: Airfoil, Growl, Plex, RemoteSight.

End goal is to have triggers to re-open an application if it suddenly quits.

Secondary goal is to have an action group to turn on/off Plex whenever I'm updating my Alexa-Hue plugin (Port conflict).

All four of my applications are running on that computer, but the plugin is only showing Plex and RemoteSight as running.

I can tell the plugin is communicating with Airfoil and Growl.... If I send a "Turn On" command to either, an application window will pop-up... but the status still shows "Off". If I close the programs (through the program) then turn them on via plugin... they will turn on, but the status still shows as "off".

Without status, I can't do triggers to re-start an application if it randomly quits.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: Mac System Plugin: Some Apps recognized, some not so muc

I'm seeing the same thing.

I tried creating a device with Type "Mac System" and Model "Application" with Application Name "iTunes".

if i turn it on, it brings the iTunes application to the front. if i turn it off, nothing happens. the device state remains "off" and the custom states never update; they all have value of 0 or off.

i tried stopping and restarting the plugin - no change.

i tried turning on debug logging. it appears approximately every 10 seconds, it is running ps. it seems to be getting and parsing results (maybe?) but the device states in indigo never change.

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:39 am
whmoorejr offline

dduff617 wrote:
I'm seeing the same thing.

Some stuff it recognizes and has no issue with.... some stuff, I can't get. It is very picky. I needed to change "growl" to "Growl" for it to work with that application. But I still have several others it refuses to get a status from, even though it will still start or stop it.

A thread I started that got me to this plugin.... I got a reply with some applescript to put in a schedule to check on applications then triggers to get them back up and running.

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=17507&p=134405#p131493

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 pm
howartp offline

iTunes doesn't work with this app as an "Application" - instead use the builtin iTunes commands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:58 pm
kmarkley offline

whmoorejr wrote:
Some stuff it recognizes and has no issue with.... some stuff, I can't get. It is very picky. [...] But I still have several others it refuses to get a status from, even though it will still start or stop it.

The plugin searches for the application name using the shell command "ps -awxc -opid,state,args". It seems that when an application is restored automatically after reboot (and possibly via other mechanisms), there are superfluous arguments of the form "-psn_N_NNNNN" that break the search.

I had previously forked the plugin to add support for network volumes. I just updated my fork to address this problem too. It works for me, but could possibly cause unintended problems with daemon devices (which include arguments in the grep pattern).

Download here: https://github.com/kmarkley/Indigo-Domo ... ses/latest

Page 1 of 1