Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:35 am
raneil offline

Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat Plugin Discussion

Post your questions, suggestions and comments regarding the ColorTouch Server Plugin here.

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Venstar ColorTouch Thermostat Plugin Discussion

This looks like a great plugin. Thanks for sharing it with folks, and for taking the time to write the extensive documentation for it.

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Fantastic job on both the plugin and the website.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have to second (well, third) the compliments... while I don't have that hardware and thus won't be using the plugin, I am very impressed with the documentation and instructions that you have included on the website - nicely done!

Adam

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:11 am
raneil offline

Thanks, all. It's been a fun project, and I've learned a lot along the way. I've been pretty impressed with the ColorTouch Thermostat so far. The touchscreen is definitely not as responsive the capacitive screens we've become accustomed to on our phones, but it's functional. On the other hand, I doubt I'll be using it nearly as much as the one on my phone anyway. :wink:

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:31 pm
mattyf offline

This plugin actually isn't working for me. I get the following error in the Log:

Enabling plugin "ColorTouch Thermostat 1.0.0"
Starting plugin "ColorTouch Thermostat 1.0.0" (pid 4475)
ColorTouch Thermostat Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 62, in <module>
<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: Bad magic number in /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/ColorTouch 12.29.20 PM.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/fuddle.pyc

Stopping plugin "ColorTouch Thermostat 1.0.0" (pid 4475)
Stopped plugin "ColorTouch Thermostat 1.0.0"

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:07 pm
raneil offline

@mattyf

As best I can tell, that would indicate that your Indigo installation and mine are running two different versions of Python. I wouldn't have thought that possible. Out of curiosity, what version of Indigo are you using?

In any event, the best solution is almost certainly a minor change to the plugin such that it includes the source file, rather than just the compiled version. If you don't mind, try this beta version (EDIT: link removed; beta no longer available. Download v1.0.1, instead). I feel certain it will clear up the problem, but I would very much appreciate hearing back from you on the matter to be sure. If it works as expected for you, I'll get the fix posted properly right away.

Thanks for the feedback & beta testing!

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 pm
raneil offline

mattyf wrote:
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/ColorTouch 12.29.20 PM.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/fuddle.pyc

@mattyf

After reading the error message you posted more closely, I realized that your copy of the ColorTouch plugin appears to be incorrectly named. The correct name for the plugin bundle is 'ColorTouch.indigoPlugin'. The message above indicates that your copy of the plugin bundle is named 'ColorTouch 12.29.20 PM.indigoPlugin'. It would appear that the time has been inserted into the filename, perhaps when the ZIP archive was decoded? Odd. You might simply try disabling the plugin, renaming it properly, then reenabling it. I have no idea if that could be the source of your error message, but seems likely and it's worth a try. You may need to shut down the Indigo server between disabling the plugin and renaming it. Again, I don't know for sure, but it's worth a try. Or you can just try the beta version linked in my previous post.

Either way, good luck and let me know what you find out.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yosemite is actually running Python 2.6 even though we're linked against 2.5 (Apple pulled some trickery). If you're distributing pyc files rather than source you're going to run into a problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 am
raneil offline

Well, that explains it then. Thanks, Jay!

Version 1.0.1 is now available for download.

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:03 am
mattyf offline

Cool. But that download link is broken for me... the page still says 1.0.0, also, but clicking on that is a 404.

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 am
mattyf offline

ok, got it. I edited the URL to reflect 1.0.1 and it found the file.

I can also confirm it works like a charm! No errors, no problems communicating or controlling! Awesome!

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 am
raneil offline

mattyf wrote:
Cool. But that download link is broken for me... the page still says 1.0.0, also, but clicking on that is a 404.

I've verified the link - it's correct. You probably just need to refresh your browser after arriving at the updated Home Page, since the site has been modified since your previous visit. Most browsers will display the page from a local cache if you've visited the page recently. As such, recent changes often won't display until you manually refresh the page (or otherwise purge the browser's cache).

Let me know if you experience any further issues.

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 am
raneil offline

mattyf wrote:
ok, got it. I edited the URL to reflect 1.0.1 and it found the file.

I can also confirm it works like a charm! No errors, no problems communicating or controlling! Awesome!

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Posted on
Fri May 22, 2015 6:37 pm
rhanson offline

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for writing this plugin. I'm using it with the new T7850 version (replaces the 5800+Wifi key combo). Works great!