London bike share

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:33 am
howartp offline

London bike share

I'd never come across this as I live too far north, but reading case studies on publicbikeshare's website (who provide most of the US systems) I spotted London in the list.

I googled "tfl stationbeanlist" to find a URL, and came up with the following. Does it work?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/syndication/feeds/ cycle-hire/livecyclehireupdates.xml

Peter

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am
howartp offline

Re: London bike share

Actually, have you come across the following iOS app:

http://www.bicyclette-app.com/data.html

It would be interesting to add those other international bike share formats to your plugin. :-)

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:53 am
DaveL17 offline

howartp wrote:
I'd never come across this as I live too far north, but reading case studies on publicbikeshare's website (who provide most of the US systems) I spotted London in the list.

I googled "tfl stationbeanlist" to find a URL, and came up with the following. Does it work?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/syndication/feeds/ cycle-hire/livecyclehireupdates.xml

Peter

Hi Peter, unfortunately it doesn't work.

Including it in the plugin looks like it would have to be a one-off solution. I want to include more systems (to increase the usefulness of the plugin), but need to do some more research to see if there's a standardized XML data feed like there is with the systems I've already included. That said, London would be a great city to include and it seems that the data elements could be mapped to the plugin's states pretty cleanly.

Actually, have you come across the following iOS app:

http://www.bicyclette-app.com/data.html

It would be interesting to add those other international bike share formats to your plugin. :-)

That's a fantastic list that didn't turn up in my searches (I truly despise how provincial Google searches have become!) I will have a detailed look--perhaps a common use XML format will emerge like the one I've used with JSON data.

Thanks mate!
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 pm
DaveL17 offline

I have been sitting on this one a while hoping that conditions would improve, but unfortunately the London Bike Share is still not easily included. Santander Bikes still publishes their data in a one-off XML format and apparently access to the data requires registration. This would be a non-trivial addition to the plugin as all the other feeds I use are open source. That said, I think someone could fairly easily adapt the bones of my plugin for a London-specific bike share plugin (it would need to include a username and password function that the Bike Share plugin doesn't have) and I would encourage it.

Beyond that, there may be some utility in including a username/password feature in the GhostXML plugin (perhaps a second device type?) and it might even be the preferred approach at this point.

Dave

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:13 am
DaveL17 offline

There are now several sharing services available in Great Britain.

Code: Select all
GB   BelfastBikes   Belfast, GB
GB   Co-bikes   Exeter, GB
GB   nextbike Cardiff   Cardiff, GB
GB   nextbike Glasgow   Glasgow, GB
GB   nextbike UK   GB   nextbike_uk
GB   nextbike West Midlands   Wolverhampton, GB
GB   Santander Cycles - Brunel   Brunel University, GB
GB   Santander Cycles - Milton Keynes   Milton Keynes, GB
GB   Santander Cycles - Swansea   Swansea University, GB

Page 1 of 1