How we use the Voice Monkey plugin

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:55 am
joeaug offline

Re: How we use the Voice Monkey plugin

So I just tried your suggestion, but I got en error message in the Voice Monkey Plugin Configuration page...I will upload a screenshot. Basically, at the bottom of the dialog, it's displaying a message in red texts that says " Error validating fields. Hover over the red field labels above..." but in the dialog no field labels have been made red. Thanks!
Monkey.png
Monkey.png (79.79 KiB) Viewed 11060 times

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:58 am
joeaug offline

Here is what appeared in my log:

Monkey Log.png
Monkey Log.png (23.88 KiB) Viewed 11058 times

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:11 pm
anyone offline

joeaug wrote:
Here is what appeared in my log:

Thank you for your feedback. Please download version 1.4 of the plugin, which was updated to address the problem you've encountered.

It would be great if you could try it out and let me know if it fixes the issue for you.

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:50 am
joeaug offline

Thanks! I will let you know later today or tomorrow - thanks again!

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:23 am
anyone offline

joeaug wrote:
Thanks! I will let you know later today or tomorrow - thanks again!

Just checking in to see if you had a chance to test version 1.4 of the plugin. Any update on whether it resolved your issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:32 am
anyone offline

siclark wrote:
joeaug wrote:
Thanks so much for the information and for your work on this! It's a relief to know it's not just me ;-)
Don't worry. I couldn't get it configured on v1.

Were you unable to get the Plugin to work at all, or are you just having difficulties with installing "alexa_remote_control.sh" that you called out a few months ago?

btw: My favorite ways of using this plugin, shared in this thread, don't require "alexa_remote_control.sh" to be installed.

If you're still facing any challenges with the plugin, or if there's anything specific that you couldn't get to work as expected, I am more than willing to help you figure it out. It's fair for me to claim that I now rely on this plugin.

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:07 pm
cjp767 offline

New guy with this plugin here. So it could be that I'm missing something rather obvious.

Indigo 2023.1 with plugin v. 2022.1.4

I cannot get the Voice Monkey Plugin to validate my token (even split into two as you recommended above)

Here is the error message in the Indigo log-

Jan 9, 2024 at 16:53:38
Voice Monkey debug logging is off
Voice Monkey Error Error in plugin execution UiValidate:

File "plugin.py", line 2413, in validatePrefsConfigUi
File "plugin.py", line 2372, in validate_logging_pref

Here is a comment from the Voice Monkey Documentation under API v2

API v1
API v1 is no longer supported but will continue to work for existing v1 users. We recommend you upgrade to v2 for better support and enhanced features.

So, if I'm reading it right, for the people who were using API v1, it will work when split up, but for new people, it won't. Thank you for any guidance.

Posted on
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:51 am
anyone offline

Thanks for the feedback. It seems the error you encountered is due to a bug in the plugin itself, rather than an issue with the API version it's designed for. This is surprising because the plugin has been working flawlessly for me.

I'm currently traveling, so please give me some time to investigate the issue. I hope you'll be willing to provide further feedback to help me resolve it.

Posted on
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:08 am
cjp767 offline

The plugin has been working for you, quite possibly because you were grandfathered as an existing V1 user. If you create a new user name it will likely not work because API v1 is no longer supported.

I included a screen shot of what might be the proper reference in the Voice Monkey documentation. And here's a link to Voice Monkey's documentation for a plugin user who might not have looked at it.

https://voicemonkey.io/docs#api
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 07.01.35.png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 07.01.35.png (46.21 KiB) Viewed 2772 times

Posted on
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:35 pm
anyone offline

Please update to version 2022.1.6 of the plugin. I've replicated the error you encountered and have implemented a fix in this new version. On the plugin's configuration screen, you'll now need to split your API credentials into two parts, as we discussed earlier in this thread.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know if this update resolves your issue.

Posted on
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:36 pm
cjp767 offline

Sorry for the slow response. I upgraded to 2022.1.6 and got the following error after splitting my API token:

Jan 20, 2024 at 13:26:00
Voice Monkey Error Error in plugin execution GetUiDynamicList:

File "plugin.py", line 2881, in myListGenerator
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/Plugins/Voice Monkey.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/alexa_remote_control.py", line 170, in list_available_devices
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/Plugins/Voice Monkey.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/alexa_remote_control.py", line 17, in run_shell
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 966, in __init__
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 1842, in _execute_child
type: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Scripts/alexa_remote_control.sh'

I'll try generating a new Voice Monkey API just to see if something odd happened. I have only one Alexa dot device in the Voice Monkey plugin. I can get it to test properly from the VM website. I'll also look at my plugin and device setup to see if I've overlooked anything. Thanks for upgrading the plugin and again, sorry for my slow response to your efforts.

Posted on
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:18 pm
cjp767 offline

Let me reply to my own post. The sign in process is working. AND - voice is working-- apparently it has changed to a premium feature and that's part of the fun, but it works.

With regard to my previous error messages, I attempted to do a -- Voice Monkey actions-- Type in a Request. and that fails on execution, but I may not have things properly set up for that, so I'll continue working on it and read more deeply in the forums.

In summary-- the sign in issue is resolved-- thank you for adapting your plugin. Pretty cool.

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:30 am
anyone offline

Thank you for the clarification and confirmation regarding the use of the plugin's text-to-speech functionalities by splitting the API key into two parts.

I hadn't realized that the free version of the Voice Monkey API now includes text-to-speech capabilities, in addition to the ability to trigger routines. .

The "Voice Monkey Actions - Type in a Request" feature does, as you suggested, require additional configuration of a file from the alexa_remote_control GitHub project. This step is necessary for all actions shown under Voice Monkey Actions.

The errors you've encountered are due to the plugin's inability to recognize its limitations in executing these actions. With the plugin's latest update, you should now encounter more meaningful error messages.

If you're interested in the "Type in a Request" action, the plugin's description and README.md on GitHub now include a step-by-step guide for the implementation of alexa_remote_control on a clean macOS installation. This guide should work for most macOS versions.

I hope this walkthrough is clear and helpful to you