HomeVision to HomeSeer HS2 to Vera Edge to Indigo Pro

Posted on
Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:07 pm
Hackencrash offline

HomeVision to HomeSeer HS2 to Vera Edge to Indigo Pro

My switch to Indigo explained:

HomeVision was a legend, but I moved to HomeSeer because I wanted the z-wave with its 2-way reliability. I got really into it, so much so that I developed and marketed the HomeSeer Emotion AI Plugin, However, I had it in my head that running a PCswitched on and logged-in all the time to run HomeSeer was costly, perhaps insecure and a drain on my time keeping it going. I switched to VeraEdge because it did z-wave and RFXTRX X10/LightwaveRF stuff in a small self-contained box with a good community and open programming language. The iPhone apps for Vera are good, particularly HomeWave which is very graphically customisable and supports camera direct feeds (not going via Vera Edge).

However, I felt tied to do things the MiCasaVerde way which I didn't identify with,and the path to work out how to use their luup code to do stuff that was lacking in their off the shelf web interface was time consuming - and that's coming from a developer! However, my main gripe was speed.

HomeSeer wasn't exactly fast, but it was much faster than Vera Edge. I don't want to walk into a room and wave my arms around frantically waiting for the lights to turn on, knowing that the sensor has already sent the message to Vera Edge to do the z-wave thing. Sometimes Vera is instant, but it has tenancies to become inactive.

I was set on upgrading to Fibaro Home Center 2, as most of my stuff was Fibaro anyway and it has a decent processor, but was a little concerned by its lack of support for other products. It's expensive, but it ticks all the boxes as it's self contained and presumably fast (my main gripe).

I worked-out that I could get a Mac Mini with Indigo Pro for about the same price as Fibaro HC2 and was excited by the fact that MAC is essentially Linux with a maintained GUI so I have a script server, should I need one (OK, it's a little more but not much but I should also admit that I chose to swap out the disk in the MAC Mini for an SSD from Amazon as it was far cheaper than the Apple price)

That's what I did.

I immediately identified with Indigo. I was able to perform complicated events, triggers, etc. without having to resort to code. I've not yet done any code - not needed to. The standard interface is comprehensive enough to do all the weird tasks that I've wanted to so far. Indigo is as legendary as HomeVision was in really hitting the nail on the head. And, yes, Indigo is fast!

However, in case you haven't noticed, Vera Edge provides good camera support and has Apple Watch apps which Indigo hasn't.

QUESTION: I have a redundant Vera Edge which I wish to create virtual device clones of my Indigo devices so I can use their iPhone/Watch interfaces. Would anybody be interested in a Vera Edge app that would link to Indigo so that Indigo could have Apple Watch and Camera functionality by using a Vera Edge device? If so, I'll do the effort to publish a plugin.

Posted on
Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:26 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: HomeVision to HomeSeer HS2 to Vera Edge to Indigo Pro

Would anybody be interested in a Vera Edge app that would link to Indigo so that Indigo could have Apple Watch and Camera functionality by using a Vera Edge device?

You might can save yourself some of the trouble - take a look at this forum where people have seemed pretty happy with the Apple Watch support - http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=186. I assume lacks any camera interfaces, but might get you pretty close on what you would want to do on the control side of things.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:21 am
Hackencrash offline

Thank you Adam for pointing me in the direction of the Home Remote iOS/Watch/AppleTV app.

This app is truly brilliant!!! 8) Searching the App Store for Indigo didn't bring this up.

Now, what to do with that redundant Vera Edge...

Posted on
Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:48 am
Different Computers offline

OP: There are now two camera plugins for Indigo. Foscam and "Security Camera."

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1