Motion Sensor for outdoor use?

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:48 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Motion Sensor for outdoor use?

Anyone have a recommended motion sensor for outdoor use? I am planning to install some motion sensors underneath the eaves of my roof, so I may be Ok with the Insteon ones (I live in coastal southern california - very little rain and some humidity). I've seen X10 outdoor ones on the smarthome site, which I 'think' are compatible with my Insteon Powerlinc modem. Also open to others but I haven't yet invested in any Z-wave stuff.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:24 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Motion Sensor for outdoor use?

I've got two MonoPrice MultiSensors outdoors but shielded from direct precipitation. This is NOT a manufacturer approved use, but one has been fine for a year and the other for 6 months or so.

They work great, though the luminance value is oversensitive--both 100% cloud cover and blazing clear sky full sun show as 100% value.

Monoprice.com puts them on sale for about $US 30 about once a month.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks for the tip DC - though I am not sure I'm ready to purchase a ZWave controller yet.. Maybe I'll give the Insteon stuff a shot as you are doing since I won't have direct precipitation going .

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:50 am
Scotfree offline

I've messed up two different sensors by trying to use them outdoors. The second one, I sprayed the PCB with Nanotech coating to waterproof it and then sealed the case with silicone. It still failed after 6 months underneath the sofit.

Easiest and cheapest option is to purchase a standard outdoor floodlight with a PIR sensor. Dismantle it and remove the sensor and triac control PCB and connect the switched lamp output to the switch input of a Fibaro relay switch. Then mount the whole thing in an IP66 box with the sensor attached and screw down the activation time for the lamp output so that it switches off almost immediately after it it triggered. That way you get a mains-powered, zwave-compatible outdoor motion sensor.

If you used a dual relay, this also provides a second, independent switch which could be attached to an outdoor light.

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 am
Professor Falken offline

Or, take your HA game up a notch and install an IP camera or two instead. Just have to run ethernet cable to them. Then use one of the plugins (Security Spy, Blue Iris, Security Camera) to monitor for motion and create triggering events.

Obviously considerably more robust than a simple motion sensor, but the outdoor IP cameras are designed for the elements, and you won't have to change batteries. Many are not very expensive either. The small dome ones are just as unobtrusive as most motion sensors.

I did this recently, and just last night I was in my backyard after dark, having forgotten that I had set up triggers on the various floods. I smiled as they illuminated in front of me as I walked around the house.

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:38 am
Scotfree offline

The only problem with that is you get alerts at night when it's raining/snowing on the lens. I can put up with that triggering a recording event but wouldn't want my lights going on and off all night. The IR sensor is better at positive detection for the lights coming on.

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:55 am
Professor Falken offline

Scotfree wrote:
The only problem with that is you get alerts at night when it's raining/snowing on the lens. I can put up with that triggering a recording event but wouldn't want my lights going on and off all night. The IR sensor is better at positive detection for the lights coming on.

Yes, this can be an issue. Though I've had a lot of luck using the Wunderground plugin and using "current state not equal to rain or snow" as a conditional on the trigger.

Now bugs, on the other hand... One of my cameras seems to get a critter that crawls across it at night. I don't have that one set to trigger any lights, obviously.

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:16 pm
rycardo offline

I have three Insteon Motion Sensors (version 1) outdoors, not sure if the version 2 sensors are okay in the weather. They have a nice rubber seal and screw to protect battery and inside from the weather. I have to change the battery once a year, which isn't bad, especially the one on my front porch which gets triggered frequently. I have heard the version 2 ones have better battery life, but have not had them long enough to realise this. By the way, where I live we have real winters and summers. Can get down below -24C in the winter, with metres of snow, and I the Summer can get in the mid to high 30sC with a lot of humidity. I have adjusted the sensitivity on the sensors, to prevent wild animals from triggering them. You can still find version 1 sensors online.

Hope this helps

Rycardo

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:38 am
rbdubz3 offline

I'm sure I'd be fine with the Insteon motion sensors as my eaves are pretty well protected. However, I can't get a deal on the old ones anymore - and the $40 a pop on smarthome for new new Insteon Sensor II is pretty steep.

Anyone have experience with the ActiveHome X10 MS14a/MS16a? I don't need anything fancy and just need to get sensor on/off signals. I can get a 'used like new' on Amazon for $13 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007 ... bw_c_x_1_w . Will my PLM 2413U receive the X10 signals from these sensors out of the box or do I need some other type of receiver as well?

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 am
johnpolasek offline

I think the powermodem still recognizes X10 signals; my 2 year old one does, but it's range is extremely short. And to talk to RF devices such as the motion sensors, you will also need a RF to Powerline transciever such as the https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/controllers/transceivers/pat02-16-channel-transceiver.html. And it will have to be located somewhere that is both (electrically) close to and on the same phase as the powermodem as well as within RF range of the motion sensor. I gave up on those beasts 15 years ago, because they ate batteries and had to have their house and unit codes reprogrammed every time the batteries died (typically about once every 6 weeks. Maybe they have improved the electronics since the early 2000s , but I doubt it.

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:14 am
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks for the input John. I guess you get what you pay for. If I have to buy more outdated receivers and stuff I'm gonna pass on the X10.

Page 1 of 1