Garage Door Timer

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 am
egclrich offline

Garage Door Timer

I am looking for a way to get a notification if my garage door is open for x minutes. I have aeotec tilt sensors and the prowl plug in. I want to set up a trigger but can't figure out how to have the trigger be based on a timer each time the garage door becomes open. Thanks for any help.

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am
Duchateau offline

Re: Garage Door Timer

I have a trigger that makes variable count off (python script) :

from time import sleep

start_counter = 15
min_counter = 0
increment = -1

for n in range(start_counter, min_counter, increment):
indigo.variable.updateValue(31954246, str(n))
sleep(60)

##Only the sleep time is in seconds. Set that to the number of seconds you want between increments.
##The start_counter, max_counter and increment value are all things that you can set to anything you like.
##Lastly, save the script to a file and then link to it. That will keep it from appearing to run straight to the end.
##If you run it as an embedded script, Indigo won't update the UI until it's completely finished (and if it runs over 10 seconds, Indigo will kill it).###

Than i have a trigger that says when the variable becomes equal to 1: speak a notification or send message

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You could try my Device Extensions plugin that has an "elapsed time" conversion device and use the lastChanged as the date to calculate upon, then have a trigger for when it hits your preset. You could also write a trigger that puts the date/time into a variable and run a script for when a time has elapsed. You could also, if you don't want to do a lot of scripting, create a schedule that runs every minute that is enabled/disabled by the garage door opening or closing that then in 15 minutes runs an action that includes disabling itself when done.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The last section of this wiki article describes one alternative. It would require a little tweaking but it would work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:43 pm
kmarkley offline

My Timed Devices Plugin does this quite simply. Basically you'd create a new device that turns on whenever your garage door is open more than x minutes, then create a trigger when this new device becomes on.

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:24 pm
noel1983 offline

I simply use the timers and pesters plugin for this.
Garage door open starts a timer,
If garage door closes then timer resets and stops
If timer expires then send notification

No scripting needed

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 pm
egclrich offline

Thanks for the quick responses and great options.

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am
nicb offline

I do exactly the same, 60 minute garage door left open notification with Prowl

60m timer
Trigger to start timer on door open
Trigger to cancel timer on door close
Trigger to notify on timer expired and restart the timer (so that there is a notification every hour until closed).

Page 1 of 1