Blocking IP cameras from calling home?

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm
Professor Falken offline

I can't remember if it was on this board, or somewhere else, but I remember reading that some IP cameras are notorious for calling home a lot.

I'm wondering if any users have experienced this, if they block this action, and if so how?

I assume that I can block the camera's address (maybe at the level of my router), but still have most of the control I need even when outside of my LAN since something like Security Spy or Blue Iris or even Indigo has full access to the camera on the LAN and then has it's own (non blocked) server, right?

I think I need to take some network engineering classes. It took me several hours, with two computers and a phone, to get 1 single camera activated because its default address wouldn't play nicely with my own network.

Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:48 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Blocking IP cameras from calling home?

if you use security spy all data is stored on the (indigo) server
If you have indigo remote access indigo dials out
both use the indigo server IP number if you run both on the same box

So you can block all cameras and no service from indigo or security spy is blocked .
But you will likely loose the time stamp on the cameras as most cameras get this from and nap server on the internet
More elegant but a bit more complicated would be to allow only the ports for NTP for the camera ip numbers and block all other ports for the cameras
==> each tcpip "thing" has an ip number and a port . If any of these is blocked a connection does not work

Karl

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm
Busta999 offline

Here is what I did.

1. Setup the DHCP server in the router to assign a fixed IP address to each camera.

2. Set each ip the cameras are using to only have access inside the home LAN

3. Setup IpCam Pro on a Mac that monitors each of the camera, motion detection etc.

4. Setup Cloud storage - I used a spare 1TB OneDrive

5. Point all the iCamPro recording to the cloud drive (this way even if the Mac gets stolen you still have video of the thief :-) )

I used cheap Foscams, and used the Foscam HD plugin by Autolog to send a time update to each of the cameras every hour to keep them synced as they no longer have internet Nntp access

I use iCamPro app on iPad /iPhone to see cameras when away from home.

This keeps all the cameras from being hacked remotely, or at the very least significantly reduces the chances of it happening.

If you need help with your router more than happy to have a real-time chat going and I can walk you through it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:46 pm
Different Computers offline

Busta999 wrote:
Setup IpCam Pro on a Mac
An internet search for ipCam Pro didn't turn up any version that could be installed on a Mac. Got a link?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 pm
Busta999 offline

Different Computers wrote:
Busta999 wrote:
Setup IpCam Pro on a Mac
An internet search for ipCam Pro didn't turn up any version that could be installed on a Mac. Got a link?

ICamPro sorry typo

http://skjm.com/icampro/

As a very cost effective solution works well, couple it with autologs Foscam HD indigo plugin and it gives a nice all round solution

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:42 pm
Busta999 offline

Oh and to be extra tin foil hat....

Cameras facing indoors are turned off by default at the power on zwave power switches

When Indigo detects that my and my wife’s iPhones are off the network (Unifi plugin) the house goes into Away mode and the cameras are turned on.

I have built a routine into indigo that knows what should be on in home or Away mode. If a camera goes offline when it should be on it turns off the power to it, counts to 30 then powers it back up. Then waits 3 mins. If camera is back up then all is good, if not recycles the power.

Ultimately it will alerts me after a few attempts that there is an issue with the camera.

I am currently running 8 camera while in Away mode.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 pm
Professor Falken offline

These are all very helpful suggestions. Thank you.

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm
Professor Falken offline

Busta999 wrote:
Here is what I did.

1. Setup the DHCP server in the router to assign a fixed IP address to each camera.

2. Set each ip the cameras are using to only have access inside the home LAN...

OK, so I was going to start with this step first, then figure out ow to deal with the NTP issue later.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way in an airport time capsule (using airport utility) to limit an IP address to have only LAN permissions.

Does anyone know if this is possible with airport routers?

Perhaps I need to invest in a hardware firewall.

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am
Professor Falken offline

lanbrown wrote:
Can you manually assign IP's to the cameras? If so, give them an IP address, provide the correct subnet mask but do not set a default gateway. If they require a gateway to be set, then assign an unused address as it. Without a default gateway (or a correct one) then they cannot communicate outside of their local network.

That is a good idea. I will give that a shot using the camera software.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:32 am
Different Computers offline

I'm hijacking this thread, but don't know where else to ask. Pretty sure in the past few days I read a post about someone here who builds rPi IP cams for his install, but I can't find it now. I'm curious if users have a recommended combo of hardware and software, as I'm about out of patience with what's available out there commercially.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:18 pm
johnpolasek offline

Karl's PiBeacon Plugin supports an IR camera on rPi... you might post a question about other cams there...

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:28 pm
kw123 offline

The amg88 is not really a camera. Has 64 pixels. It is a very good it temp / motion sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:40 am
autolog offline

For those of us with UniFi USG, this link shows you how to set the firewall to prevent a device accessing the Internet: USG Pro Firewall Rule to block single IP from Internet :)

Page 1 of 1