Question on extender or range device

Posted on
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:45 pm
jasiii offline

Question on extender or range device

we have a 2413U interface which seems to be working fine on one side of our home.

One side of of my home works find but the other side just will not work with X10 or Insteon.

we did a X10 bridge at fuse box.. sometimes the X10 unit may work but not all the time so i am migrating to Insteon devices for controls and that is not "right"

we have gotten a couple of Insteon devices to try and test but they also do not work. The 2413U will see them but not control them with consistency.

i have found some notes on the web to use an extender or range devices ?? 2992-222

do i need one or two of these units ?? and are there any tricks to setting this unit up ??

Will i also need a ?? phases bridge ?? or just the controller and the extender ??

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

Jim Sterling

Posted on
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am
Mirko offline

Re: Question on extender or range device

The fact that X10 does not arrive at the other side of the house might mean that you plugged in a new electric device (e.g. vacuum cleaner, microwave etc). This might cause 'noise' on your electrical wire network.

I deal with the problem to use filters for some of my electrical devices. And when the problem persists and I cannot find any other reason, I use Zwave with a USB controller by Aeotec.

Posted on
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 pm
jasiii offline

Thank you but... i have watched the signals on the "not good side" using an oscilloscope and did not notice any noise Could see a signal but the X10 devices did not fully respond ?? too weak ?? just do not know.. also saw Insteon signals but again do not know and have not yet found a definition except for frequency and do not know the strength that they should display.

Posted on
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm
FlyingDiver online

Personally, I'd just punt the X10 devices at this point. Getting those to work reliably will be difficult. Insteon is dual-band (power line and RF), so if you have dual band devices on both phases from the breaker panel it should just work. Adding a few plug in modules on both sides to act as relays would help.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1