Not a good start, need to understand a working system.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 am
aauno offline

Not a good start, need to understand a working system.

My z-Stick gen 5 doesn't seems to want to work correctly. I'm trying to start with just 1 GE switch and an door sensor, no luck with either one. I also have Lutron Caseta lights and can't understand how the plugin should work. I've read the documentation, now I just need to understand the reality.

I'm switching from a Vera plus to Indigo.

Do you keep a second Z-Stick for backup?

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Not a good start, need to understand a working system.

For the Z-wave devices, if they were previously used with Vera, you need to EXCLUDE them from the old controller before you can INCLUDE them to the Z-stick for Indigo. Have you done that?

For the Caseta lights, you need the Smart Bridge for network control from Indigo. Do you have that installed? Can you control your lights from the mobile app using the bridge?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:18 am
Different Computers offline

Whew, not enough info to go on.

did you exclude the devices and re-include them? Do they show as Indigo devices? If they do, do you get any log messages about them or the Z-wave interface? Did you enable the Z-wave interface?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 pm
aauno offline

I loaded the Vera bridge plugin, no changes. I understand migration should be easy. Is there any online support I can purchase to get started?

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

aauno wrote:
I loaded the Vera bridge plugin, no changes. I understand migration should be easy. Is there any online support I can purchase to get started?

I'm not sure where you got the idea it would be "easy". I don't think Matt/Jay do paid one-to-one support. But the forums here should be all you need.

Let's start with the basics. To use devices previously used with your Vera, you need to EXCLUDE them from their current controller and INCLUDE them to the Z-stick. Have you done that? If not, read the docs for each device to see what buttons, etc you need to press for the exclude/include sequence and get started doing it. If you have problems, come back and post here. Include the specifics of the device you're working with, and the exact sequence of steps you took.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:54 pm
aauno offline

A question to former Vera Plus users. In order to exclude your devices, did you need to walk around with your Vera Plus, plug it in and hit one of the buttons on the side to exclude the devices? I have tried to exclude a GE/JASCO wall switch by trying unpair and toggling the switch thre times, wtih no luck.

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
aauno offline

I unplugged my vera unit. I did a factory reset on my Z-Stick Gen 5. I held the stick until the light flashed yellow and then hit my switch. I believe it excluded the switch from the vera. I then hit the z-stick until it was blue, hit the switch, and I believe it included the switch.

I plugged the Z-Stick into my Mac, and the Z-Stick started flashing yellow and red. No clue what this means, so back to reading. I just hope the end results of trying Indigo will be worth these nights. I hope about Indigo for years, but now I'm willing to try it based on the Mac Power Users podcasts with Robert Spivack.

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Red-Yellow-Blue cycling is "normal mode".

Is Indigo seeing the Z-stick? Have you enabled the Z-wave interface? Menu Interfaces->Z-Wave-Enable

If Z-wave is enabled, trying creating a new device of type Z-Wave and see if your switch is in the list of available devices.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 pm
Different Computers offline

The flashing is a good sign, but it means nothing more than "I'm working."

Make sure you go into Indigo, the Interfaces menu, Z-wave, Configure.... then probably "Local/physical" and then "usbmodem###"

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm
aauno offline

The Z-Stick flashes blue, yellow, and red.

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm
FlyingDiver offline

aauno wrote:
The Z-Stick flashes blue, yellow, and red.

Then it's working properly. Have you gone through the next steps that both DC and I posted?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 pm
aauno offline

When I try to add a new zwave device I get the following message:
From Synchronize Z-Wave device
Controller not initialized or is unplugged. Waiting for reconnect ion.

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Sounds like you haven't enabled the Z-wave interface and selected the right serial (actually USB) device.

Try disabling the Z-wave interface, then re-enabling and selecting the correct port.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm
aauno offline

Progress :D :D :D

The GE switch is working. From the webpage, I was able to turn the light off and on.

Now I need to read up on the door sensor which has been used as a trigger to turn the light on and off. When I try to sync the sensor I get a sync message stating "no response from '003-Notification Sensor" Module might be asleep or is unreachable."

I guess I might not have correctly included it on the z-Stick. I will read the sensor user guide to make sure, I'm adding it correctly. The door sensor is the Aeotec by Aeon Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor ZW112-A.

If I get this to sync, then tomorrow, I'll have the sensor turn on the switch.

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

That's a battery operated sensor. It's usually unreachable. Open/close the door to wake up the sensor and try again.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)