iPad slide to unlock

Posted on
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 am
pocster offline

iPad slide to unlock

Hey all,

I have an old iPad 3 I use as a wall mounted indigo controller - works great!
But assume I have 'screen time out' on I have to slide to unlock every time to use!

If I have screen timeout as 'never' it's fine; but the screens on all the time!

SO!; I was thinking ! - the iPad screen covers have a magnet that once 'opened' does away with the screen lock - so this sounds like a brilliant solution.

But has anyone (presumably!) wired up some sort of electro magnetic triggered by indigo say from a motion detector????

8)

Posted on
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 am
durosity offline

Re: iPad slide to unlock

I have.. kind of.. I found a photo frame that fitted the screen perfectly then dremmeled the inside out a little for a mini electro magnet that could turn on the iPad remotely. This was coupled with a relay to turn it on and off based on triggers from indigo.. The problem was that the electromagnet still had too strong a field even when off so quite often the iPad would start turning on/off/on/off/on/off in quick succession.. I’ve been meaning to revisit it but having been quite ill lately I’ve not really had time of inclination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am
pocster offline

durosity wrote:
I have.. kind of.. I found a photo frame that fitted the screen perfectly then dremmeled the inside out a little for a mini electro magnet that could turn on the iPad remotely. This was coupled with a relay to turn it on and off based on triggers from indigo.. The problem was that the electromagnet still had too strong a field even when off so quite often the iPad would start turning on/off/on/off/on/off in quick succession.. I’ve been meaning to revisit it but having been quite ill lately I’ve not really had time of inclination.

Lol
Trying to find a wafer thin electro magnetic is proving difficult !

Posted on
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am
durosity offline

Yeah I just searched eBay for the one I bought and I can’t see it anymore. I’m sure some electrical component shops will have something suitable. The one I had is about 5mm thick. I just tried to find it but it’s probably st the bottom of a box somewhere. I assumed some insulating tape wrapped around it would probably have been enough to stop the field when it was off from interfering.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1