Survey: Zwave or Insteon and which model controller used

Zwave Insteon or Other?

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:17 pm
trazanka offline

Survey: Zwave or Insteon and which model controller used

Interested to know which system most people are using with Indigo so quick survey, if you use more then one pick your primary:

Zwave Insteon or Other?

Which controller is used with the above?

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21 pm
kelmk offline

Re: Survey: Zwave or Insteon and which model controller used

I use Insteon for dimmers since that is pretty much my only option for 220v but everything else zWave since there is way more devices available. Use usb dongles for both. You can mix and match in Indigo no problem.

edit: devices I use in Indigo
Insteon
zWave
lifx
wemo
globalCache
simple hub
yamaha reciever
Ring Pro
Rachio sprinkler

All work seamlessly together
Last edited by kelmk on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think you'll find that many people here use a combination of many different things: Z-Wave, Insteon, various WiFi devices, etc. This is the strength of Indigo - it abstracts the technology such that it doesn't really matter what the underlying system is. In fact, that is our recommendation. I'd expect your poll to not really represent reality given this fact (and you might not get many replies).

For Insteon, you must use a PowerLinc 2413U (recommended) or an Insteon USB Stick. Several USB Z-Wave interfaces are compatible, but we recommend the Z-Stick from Aeotec.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Yeah, can't vote because I use both, plus other stuff.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 pm
howartp offline

I'm primarily Zwave because Insteon is next to nonexistent in U.K.

However as Jay said, Indigo links various technologies - users use Homebuddy, Raspberry Pi, Phillips Hue, ....

That's the beauty of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kelmk wrote:
wemo

How are you using Wemo devices? Is there a plugin I don't know about?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:10 pm
kelmk offline

Actually I'm currently just controlling wemo through the homebridge plugin at the moment so it's not ideal. This also works though
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=11979&hilit=wemo#p132763

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:30 pm
Different Computers offline

Z wave, Insteon, and even some X10 at one point. Plus Zigbee lights via the Hue plugin, and until not too long ago some zigbee sensors were reporting to Indigo via a tortuous workaround involving IFTTT and the better email plugin.

That latter was awful and I don't recommend it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 am
johnpolasek offline

jay (support) wrote:
I think you'll find that many people here use a combination of many different things: Z-Wave, Insteon, various WiFi devices, etc. This is the strength of Indigo - it abstracts the technology such that it doesn't really matter what the underlying system is. In fact, that is our recommendation. I'd expect your poll to not really represent reality given this fact (and you might not get many replies).

For Insteon, you must use a PowerLinc 2413U (recommended) or an Insteon USB Stick. Several USB Z-Wave interfaces are compatible, but we recommend the Z-Stick from Aeotec.

That's me; All my switches and the smoke detectors are insteon through a 2413 and smokebridge, thermostats, door locks, and motion detectors are Zwave on apre gen5 Z-stick, with a few old insteon motions being phased out, presence detection and door/window sensors are rPi through the PiBeacon plugin, Temperature/Humidity/weather information through the RFX plugin and RFX433, and playing with Rioku and Tivo control through Indigo plugins over wifi, but so far haven't seen a lot of additional utility with it.

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 pm
dduff617 offline

i didn't vote because i use both insteon and z-wave (and also "other").

i like insteon light switches and have essentially standardized on them. they work well and up to now, i haven't seen anything else out there that i like better.

that said, if i were building a new house or doing a from-scratch retrofit of home automation stuff, i would look at Lutron brand for lighting controls. i believe they are supported in Indigo (with a plugin). i would also look at z-wave brands.

i like the idea that z-wave is a standard with many supporting companies, but good luck picking one company with high quality products that is going to be around in 5-10 years. one thing about the light switches is that you are going to have these things built-into the walls in your house - so you want to choose carefully. you want a company with a proven track record for reliable products. UL certification. etc.

i have mostly used Insteon motion sensors (they were the best option available at the time), but I might go with z-wave sensors if i were starting over.

the diversity of products in the Z-wave market and the relatively low cost of entry is what drove me to try using Z-wave a few years ago. if you want door locks, thermostats, multi-sensors, motion sensors, sirens, window shades, etc. your choices are generally more diverse with z-wave. with this diversity comes some risk of running into situations where a product may not be supported until it has been on the market a while and/or not every feature or setting being supported (in Indigo, i mean), but those are fairly minor and this forum can help.

i have multiple other devices that i generally lump together in the "home automation products" space that are neither z-wave nor insteon: i have somfy gear (window shades) which use their proprietary RTS protocol. i have sonos audio gear, a sprinkler controller, nest smoke detectors, nest thermostats, logitech remote control units, and some a/v gear which use various protocols that all ride on top of TCP (that is, WiFi and/or wired ethernet). fortunately, Indigo makes it possible to integrate all of these pretty thoroughly into my personal "HA universe" through plugins.

since you asked about controller models, i have an insteon 2413. i have a z-stick z-wave controller (the 2nd generation model - neither the original model nor the latest series 5 version).

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:54 pm
Busta999 offline

trazanka wrote:
Interested to know which system most people are using with Indigo so quick survey, if you use more then one pick your primary:

Zwave Insteon or Other?

Which controller is used with the above?

Z-wave is replacing the original LightwaveRF.

A lot of Hue, mainly under Hue Motion detectors do most of the lights in transit areas, garage, hallway, landing, closet, ensuite, sunroom,utility room and WC etc.

Hue on LightwaveRF remotes with and zwave sockets for night lights.

Zwave sockets controlling kitchen task and mood lighting with zwave motion detector.

Hue in Lounge controlled through timers/Alexa.

Zwave sockets throughout managing / monitoring everything else, ie when loading drop occurs on robot vacuum cleaner/ rechargeable screw drivers/drills, window cleaners etc then turn off socket send iMessage.

Harmony for AV controls.

Plex for TV/Movies/Music.

A pile of temp sensors using RFXCOM which also monitors door bell.

Plus a bunch of Foscams.

Indigo brings all my islands of HA together under one piece of software to rule them all :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think this guy was a spammer or something - he hasn't logged in since he posted the poll...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:30 pm
durosity offline

Well hopefully it’ll be a useful forum post for some newbie in the future.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1