Dynamic Heat map of Home as Control Page

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 am
Busta999 offline

Dynamic Heat map of Home as Control Page

A thought for a longer term project...

But maybe such a thing already exists?

Basically take a floor map of my house.

Break it into blocks representing rooms.

Assign a colour (colour) between blue and red representing temperature sensor readings.

It would provide a simple glance at how the how is doing, including fridge/freezer and outside temperature.

I have no idea where to start.

Any ideas?

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 4:22 am
autolog offline

Re: Dynamic Heat map of Home as Control Page

Take a look at this page Custom Images on Control Pages, particularly the section: Image Selection Heuristics

You should be able to set-up a range of images to use as a background that changes according the the value of a device or variable that you associate with the images. :)

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 8:09 am
bkmar1192 offline

You can also take a look at my plugin called Dynamic Control that will creat a rectangular image in which you can change color and transparency via a set of variables. You can use the image as a refreshing image on a control page. You could get a whole range of colors without pre-creating each image - works great for things like temperature (in fact I like your idea and might implement it myself).

Admitted the directions are pretty limited at the moment (working on a new version) but would be happy to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm
Different Computers offline

I know it's every one's first thought, but I thought I'd jump in and say that from an information presentation standpoint, floorplans are pretty inefficient for status displays, and even for control.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 am
johnpolasek offline

Different Computers wrote:
I know it's every one's first thought, but I thought I'd jump in and say that from an information presentation standpoint, floorplans are pretty inefficient for status displays, and even for control.

I don't totally agree; I like my house plan better than a simple list for an overall view of the lights and motion/window/door status... and with the advent of the security camera plugin, I've added thumbnails of the external cameras with links to the full views on click.. And with this suggestion, I may bestir myself to replace the numeric room temps with colored backgrounds, although they change surprising little in a well insulated house... and I get a whole lot more info from the time trend plots I have on another control page.

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 1:35 pm
bkmar1192 offline

The Dynamic Control plugin also lets you change the size of the rectangle based on a variable. So you could use to create thermostats for each room. They could show both the temp on a scale as well as change color if you wanted to get really fancy :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed May 03, 2017 6:48 am
Busta999 offline

Different Computers wrote:

The primary interface for HA is Alexa.

But the two floor plans, up and downstairs, are really useful for she who must be obeyed as a single site for seeing everything is in order.

Particularly when I am away and she wants a quick to check before going to sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 am
Busta999 offline

I'll look at the ways, thanks Autolog and bkmar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1