What LED Light Bulbs

Posted on
Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 pm
clsanchez77 offline

What LED Light Bulbs

Hey Indigo,

I came hear about 2 years ago to begin my journey and then plans got derailed a bit. My wife and I finally bit the bullet and I started building a new PC...that will run MacOSX (yes it can be done). I still plan to run Indigo on the machine for home automation. I never did settle on the details and I'm still a few months from pulling the trigger; I ordered the case to make sure it fits my rack but no the innards yet... but I am in need to start replacing light bulbs. I would like to have all my lights to be the same. With everyone's experience, what is the best LED lightbulb set for Indigo?

I will need A19's for lamps (8), and ceiling fixtures (30), BR30's for recessed interior (27), R20 for recessed interior (9), PAR16 for recessed outside (6), and floods for outside (4).

I am not partial to any particular technology. I currently have Z-wave and Philips Hue in my home, but don't let this bias you if there is a better mouse trap on a different protocol.

I have not settled on my switches or anything else, I wanted to settle on the bulbs first and then go from there.

Thanks
Chris

Posted on
Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm
roussell offline

Re: What LED Light Bulbs

I have a house full of the Cree LEDs from Home Depot and they work great with Insteon dimmers. No zwave so can't report on that, unfortunately.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:21 pm
clsanchez77 offline

roussell wrote:
I have a house full of the Cree LEDs from Home Depot and they work great with Insteon dimmers. No zwave so can't report on that, unfortunately.

Terry

Sweet, thanks! Which dimmers are you using?

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

clsanchez77 wrote:
My wife and I finally bit the bullet and I started building a new PC...that will run MacOSX (yes it can be done). I still plan to run Indigo on the machine for home automation.

I should note that we don't support Indigo on OS configurations not supported by Apple (i.e. no hackintoshes or altered Macs). It may very well work for you (and I suspect we have some users doing it). Just know that there may be situations where we can't help you.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 pm
clsanchez77 offline

Perhaps this should be an offline conversation but what specific features do people typically have issues with? I have been using Vera and any features that don't work in Indigo I suppose could stay on Vera.

Btw, thanks for the Cree recommendations. I have been looking at these and may go this route for my can fixtures.

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's less about features and more about consequences of running an OS release on unsupported hardware. There are all sorts of interactions between the two, and the virtualization software doesn't always get it right. USB is one fairly standard problem in macOS, even on Mac hardware. In VMs they are even more tricky. Support is hard for us because you're running on a configuration that not only could have bugs with the OS and Mac combination, but throw in there the VM platform and all it's versions and issues.

So, chasing bugs down in that kind of environment is just not something we can do.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 pm
clsanchez77 offline

Understand, that is a risk I will have to assume.

I am building the unit primarily as a HTPC but I want it in a OS X environment stability and ease of use with my young family. I have a very limited planned functionality for this and everything should work just fine. If Indigo did not work, that would be a major blow, but my backup is to remain on Vera. The reason for the custom build is so I can rack mount the unit in my AV cabinet. I even though about just buying a Mac Pro and remounting the unit in a HTPC case. I just do not have a place for a stand alone computer, monitor, etc.

But regarding Indigo, my plan is to give it a try and see if it works. I appreciate your stance and upfront honesty regarding the issue.

Having said that, to be on the conservative side, this rules out any insteon devices.

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:38 pm
clsanchez77 offline

and btw, no VM software is being used on the build. I know that does not change your stance, but it should greatly simplify any complications.

Page 1 of 1