Nice z wave light switches!

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:59 am
pocster offline

Nice z wave light switches!

Hey all,

Seems there aren't very many nice modern slick z wave wall switches.

Found these ; http://www.socketsandswitches.com/index ... emID=28492

Wonder if anyone's tried them with a fibaro dimmer and made a 'z wave switch'?

Cheers

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:34 am
pocster offline

Re: Nice z wave light switches!

Just found these;

Anyone tried them?; do they work with indigo??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DKAG6BI?th=1

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:22 am
IndigoSam offline

pocster wrote:
Just found these;

Anyone tried them?; do they work with indigo??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DKAG6BI?th=1

I've not tried it. My worry with these things (having gone down this path with MCO) is not just if it will work with Indigo but also if it will fit in pattress boxes.
As ever, it is tricky to find out the depth of the electronics behind the faceplate, but their video on youtube does give an indication.

You will need to skip the first half of dreadful marketing speak and the last bit with their astonishing view of what a British house looks like inside.

In between they do have a breakdown. Looks big out back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2prMV50miQ

Sam.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:11 am
pocster offline

Yeah I'm quite lucky as I'm doing a new build so can make my internal wall thicker to support a z wave switch . That's also why I'm interested in the fibaro dimmer with a standard touch switch . Tempted to buy 1 of those on amazon and see how it goes.
You would of thought by now z wave wall switches would be in abundance !

Cheers

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:58 am
IndigoSam offline

Annoyingly, I had all the electrics done in this house about 6-8 months before I considered home automation.

Annoying for two reasons:
    I should have asked for CAT 5 to every room
    I should have asked for deep pattress boxes (probably deep plastic pattress boxes.)

My walls are plenty thick enough and they mess with the WIFI, but the electricians chose to use the shallowest pattress boxes they could find. This probably made their lives more difficult, some of them have a lot of wiring scrunched up behind them.

I, too, have been looking for wall switches that are nicer looking, not just thin pieces of plastic. I was expecting to find a lot of these, but I guess not. I have a couple of the TKB switches, which manage to be expensive and yet look very cheap. One has also been replaced as it failed recently.

I was originally looking at the Vitrum, but these were/are very expensive and I could find no mention of them in use on any of the forums, here and elsewhere.
http://www.switchtovitrum.com/en/2206-2/

Then I ended up with an MCO 4-gang in a Vesternet sale. Pre Indigo 7 these worked in that Indigo could send an on/off and the light channels would respond. However, they would not report back to Indigo if they were changed at the switch, effectively making them a very expensive LightwaveRF. I have not tried this unit with Indigo 7 (yet).

The other thing I have found very tricky is the tiny connection points, often grouped together. Just wiring them up is bad, but then pushing them back into a pattress box with all the wires scrunching up... it doesn't fill me with confidence. I note that the Fibaro switch version 2 (1 and 2 switches) have made the connection points a lot bigger.

As I mentioned elsewhere, about a year ago, I'm going to move away from the zwave control being in the actual switch, either part of the switch or behind it. It really limits the front end choice, the actual switch, and is tricky to fit anyway. I have been looking to fit Fibaro devices into the ceiling roses instead. This led to the next problem, finding a ceiling rose that is big enough to take everything!

Sam.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 am
pocster offline

Yeah I looked at vitrum ages ago - but the cost !!!!
I'm wondering if a nice touch switch with a fibaro switch would work fine . I.e if indigo turns the light on/off does the wall switches led reflect this ?
I planned deep plastic pattress boxes already to allow for wiring and z wave wifi issues .
Tkb ones do look like plastic cheap crap - and as you say aren't actually cheap .
I might try the cool touch too see - can always return to amazon ...

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:46 am
IndigoSam offline

pocster wrote:
I'm wondering if a nice touch switch with a fibaro switch would work fine . I.e if indigo turns the light on/off does the wall switches led reflect this ?

I suspect not. The physical switch is really just telling the Fibaro module what someone is doing locally, i.e. pressing the switch. I can't see a way for the Fibaro module to tell the switch what the current situation is. The switch LED will be responding to the physical switch being open or closed, but the Fibaro module can open or close the electronic switch independently of that.

I haven't tried this though.

Sam.

Page 1 of 1