Z-Wave or Insteon for light and wall switches?

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:06 pm
dbm offline

Z-Wave or Insteon for light and wall switches?

Folks: I've used Indigo since 2009/2010, but only with Insteon devices. I have a home addition that's almost done and am wondering whether to switch to Insteon or Z-Wave light switches when we do the finish electrical work.

Insteon light switches have generally been reliable in my experience, but can be slow and with limited options (maybe all dual-band would work better, but I only currently have a few). Z-Wave seems like it should be faster when transmitting and receiving control signals.

Any suggestions? I'd welcome some advice from the community before buying a few dozen switches! Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 pm
jalves offline

Re: Z-Wave or Insteon for light and wall switches?

I've got a mix of Insteon and Z-wave devices. If you are happy with Insteon, no need to change. If you decide to install some Z-wave devices you may want to allow for getting more than you originally thought. As a mesh system, Z-wave becomes more reliable as you add nodes. This can be especially true if your new addition is further away from the z-stick. Buying a few plug-in modules to space throughout the pathway to the new addition would work.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Page 1 of 1