To Indigo or not to Indigo, that is the question

Posted on
Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:29 pm
utahsolitute offline

To Indigo or not to Indigo, that is the question

Hi you all. Currently on openHAB with several Insteon devices. I have a vacation home in Utah that I manage and monitor remotely. Pretty reliable after you get everything right but lots of hacking. Looking at Indigo 7 and trying to understand the pricing scheme vs. support vs. capabilities. Will be worth for me to migrate to the Indigo platform or stay with openHAB? Is there an Indigo little version as I see the full version is a bit overkill for me? How often do you guys add new hardware that requires the extra $$$ to support it? To be complete honest I am bit confused or overwhelmed with the pricing model and hardware support. I see some very positive but negative comments as well. Not exactly sure what to do and where to spend my $$$ as I am retired and on a budget. Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: To Indigo or not to Indigo, that is the question

We have deleted and banned forum user utahsolitute. Again.

He is actually the same individual as forum user ethanw, whom we previously banned. He has emailed us several times under his real name, at first denying he was forum user ethanw until we confronted him with proof that he is. He has tried multiple times to create new forum accounts. This particular one slipped through the cracks until we did further research proving, once again, it is ethanw (not his real name).

At this point we aren't sure what we'll do. Apparently, this has turned into a game to him (may we suggest a new hobby, such as trolling YouTube comments?). He purchased Indigo 5 in 2011 and the Indigo 6 upgrade in March of 2013, and now feels entitled to free upgrades. He dispenses unsolicited business advice, trolls the forum, and continuously tells us we have lost our way and will be out-of-business soon because we have the audacity to charge for major functionality being added to Indigo. He isn't a contributing member to the Indigo community, and we have no interest in him being an Indigo 7 customer.

Note to potential new Indigo users: please don't let any of this nonsense prevent you from posting questions or comments about Indigo (features, pricing, etc.). Had the original post above been legitimate and not deceptive we would have happily answered it and encouraged others to provide their thoughts and feedback.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:47 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ahh, trolls. Some things about the Internet suck.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:16 pm
durosity offline

Yeah I'm the only one with a licence here to troll! And that has strict rules.. I'm only allowed to troll Jay. Unless it's my birthday. Or I'm bored.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm
DaveL17 offline

Rick roll candidate number 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:31 pm
durosity offline

Matt.. please extend my troll licence to include DaveL17 too.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have to say, I really do feel sorry for this individual. We've made it clear we have no interest in negotiating with him and we're clearly not going to change our minds concerning our revenue model because of him. And, he's made it clear he thinks Indigo is not worth the money to him. And, probably most importantly, he's reiterated to us multiple times that we'll be out of business in 2 years. Why would someone who's so convinced of that fact want to continue to use Indigo?

So what exactly is his end-game? If he's trolling for trolling's sake, what a sad commentary on an individual's life - that they have nothing better to do than persist in trying to troll when there's nothing at the end that will give them any tangible satisfaction. Time to move on to a different solution that's more in line with his needs.

I'm going to lock this topic as it's not very useful anymore.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1