Best wired Indigo-compatible motion- & multi-sensor?

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:28 pm
dbm offline

Best wired Indigo-compatible motion- & multi-sensor?

Folks:

I've used Indigo for a while, going back to v4 in 2009, but only with Insteon devices. I'm in the end stages of a home addition/remodel in the SF bay area and was hoping to get advice on the best Z-Wave devices motion- and multi-sensors.

After 7+ years I'm no longer a fan of Insteon motion sensors: the batteries fail just when I'm about to leave town, and they're regularly triggered by flying insects if outside. I'm looking forward to trying Z-Wave! :D

When I looked into this back in February, the best motion sensor seemed to be the Aeotec Z-Wave Multi Sensor 6, which (yay!) is supported by Indigo 7.

I have a few questions I was hoping folks in the forum could help me answer:

- Is the Aeotec Z-Wave Multi Sensor 6 still the best choice for indoor and outdoor use?

- For mounting, has anyone tried the "recessor" kit for recessed ceiling or wall mounting? How does that affect the view angle?

- I'd like to hardwire the Multi Sensor 6 so I don't have to deal with batteries, and I've run Cat6 cables to the motion sensor locations. The Multi Sensor 6 has a USB power option--has anyone used a USB-to-Ethernet connector like this one? https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-ethernet- ... B00FXIR4GM

Thanks in advance! I'm happy to share the results once we move back into the house and I install and test out the new system...

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:46 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Best wired Indigo-compatible motion- & multi-sensor?

dbm wrote:

When I looked into this back in February, the best motion sensor seemed to be the Aeotec Z-Wave Multi Sensor 6, which (yay!) is supported by Indigo 7.

I have a few questions I was hoping folks in the forum could help me answer:

[list]- Is the Aeotec Z-Wave Multi Sensor 6 still the best choice for indoor and outdoor use?

I've had one for some time (waiting for I7), and I'm having a problem with it... I've got another on order to see it it's an isolated hardware or firmware issue or something systemic; I had to leave the firmware at 1.04 because their windows only 1.07 updater application will not recognize my Z-stick on either a Win7 or Win10 machine... when I plugged it in, it said it was installing the driver and the hardware was ready for use, but the Application says no interfaces found.

And with the year old firmware in it, it triggers sporadically about 4 or 5 times a day even when left in a closed shoebox on a closet shelf and sensitivity set at 25% The two Aeotec 4 in 1s OTOH behave flawlessly. BIgger and bulkier, but I prefer something that actually works.

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:31 pm
norcoscia offline

I have been running one for about a week (FW V1.07) - no issue with it for me (and no problems updating the FW via Windows 10). I have the Aeotec Z-Wave Multi Sensor 6 (for now) in a bathroom powered via the supplied cable.

The only thing I don't like is every time it reports I get all of the info in my log (see below). Not a big deal but I wish there was a way to have it only report on any change for each sensor (vice just the motion portion). I check it every min because I'm testing it to turn on a bathroom overhead fan/vent when a shower raises the humidity.

Sorry I can't help with the converter, I have never seen that one before - maybe you could rig it up somehow but not sure - you only need power and ground on the correct pins - not sure if this adapter does that or if you have a way to get 5V on the cable - also, depending on the length you need to push the 5V you may need to compensate for voltage drop. On the up side, having any wire run already is a big help even if you need to lop off the ends and double up on the wires (to get an effective thicker wire for the run). Good luck and let us know what you work out - I have been wanting to run a 5V distribution system in my attic for just such a purpose....

Code: Select all
Nov 29, 2016, 1:28:25 PM
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Temperature Multi6" sensor update to 75.6 °F
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Humidity Multi6" sensor update to 62%
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Luminance Multi6" sensor update to 0 lux
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Ultraviolet Multi6" sensor update to 0
   arduino                         Arduino Feather#1; current status is: Offline  (test1)

Nov 29, 2016, 1:29:26 PM
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Temperature Multi6" sensor update to 75.6 °F
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Humidity Multi6" sensor update to 62%
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Luminance Multi6" sensor update to 0 lux
   Z-Wave                          received "Guest Bathroom - 025 - Ultraviolet Multi6" sensor update to 0

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:53 am
benip offline

Hi,
I've been running several of the Aeon Multisensor 6s since the day after i7 was released. I've installed seven so far, and I've got another two to setup. I've got a mixture of hard wired and battery, mostly on book shelves and the like.
Hard wired is definitely better for fast updates and tweaking of settings, but once you've got them right battery is ok. They take two CR123As which is good, keeping one as a hot spare. I'm really impressed with the setup, using them for humidity & temperature readings and motion for light control and a very experimental alarm system. We're looking to move house early next year at which point I'm very interested in ceiling mounting them, though I understand quality of the mounts is not great. I haven't bought a test one yet but I'd be interested to know how they look and whether they could be sprayed or something to improve them.
Ben

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:44 am
Bollar offline

I would consider using the Fibaro FGMS001 indoors. It's very small and has incredible battery life - I get more than a year out of a single CR123A battery.

The downsides of the Fibaro are that it doesn't have a humidity sensor and it only reports in Celsius, so you'll need to use the Adapters Plugin, if you want Fahrenheit.

I have several of the old Aeotec Multi Sensor DSB05 and I found them unacceptable for outdoor use - between the short battery life and other exposure to temperature changes, they all failed within a few months. I only use the remaining ones inside now.

I have one of the "new" Aeotec Multisensor 6 ZW100 outside. It's too early to tell how reliable it is. It's one from the group that I bought almost two years ago when it came out, so I'm sure it has old firmware.

The remainder of my outside sensors are still Insteon. I won't buy any additional ones, but they are reliable - I have some that are four years old and still working with only a battery change every year or so.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:34 am
jalves offline

I'm slowly adding several (4) of the Aeon Multisensor 6's which will replace the older versions . So far my experience is good with these. I've got them all set up as wired (rather than battery) in order to make my z-wave network more robust. The cord that comes with them is about 3' long which gave me just enough flexibility to locate them where needed.

So far they are doing the job just fine. Not thinking that longevity will be an issue, but we will see.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:15 pm
dbm offline

Thanks, folks! Unfortunately Aeotec said today (via Twitter) that the Multi Sensor 6 isn't suitable for unprotected outdoor locations. :( https://twitter.com/Aeotec/status/804064427976822784

Does anyone have any suggestions for motion sensors that are (a) suitable for outdoor use and (b) are powered by PoE or USB instead of battery? I found another outdoor-rated sensor on Indigo's official compatible-devices list but it's battery-powered: http://www.everspring.com/SP103.aspx

Or on the other hand I could just try them outside, maybe seal the seams the best I can, and just hope for the best... For all my complaints about lack of adjustability and battery life, at least my good ol' Insteon motion sensors did work outside without dying.

In terms of the ceiling-mounting bracket (the "recessor") kit, I'm leaning against going in that direction. I think it'll look a lot better, but the problem is that these sensors are being improved quickly. If I flush-mount a stereo speaker in the ceiling, well, speaker technology doesn't change that much year-over-year; the same with recessed can lights. But if I install the Multi Sensor 6 in the ceiling, there's no guarantee that the 7 or 8 or 9 will be the same size and fit in the same bracket...

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:02 pm
dbm offline

A bit off-topic, but in the same Twitter discussion Aeotec said today we'll soon be able to buy the WallMote (which looks kinda fun):
https://twitter.com/Aeotec/status/805833687275290625

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:57 am
andarv offline

I have had 4 Aeotec multi sensor mounted outside for 3+ yrs, all connected to usb power. Most of them are mounted below the roof giving some cover. Temp range here is - 30 to 30(C).
One is, per last month starting to fail(i think), reported lux is way off, motion and temp is still working.
Humidity sensor is of a questionable quality (or never calibrated).

Last year I mounted 4 more (gen 5).

I have one ethernet cabel feeding all the motion sensors, two on each pair. Power comes from a hub.

Skickat från min ONE A2003 via Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:02 am
changeagent offline

It would be nice to see someone come up with a solar powered motion sensor. I have various solar powered lamps around the house that run well. I've often thought of getting out the soldering gun and grafting the power system of a lamp with an Insteon 2842-222 Wireless Motion Sensor. I wonder how that would work out?

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:17 am
Different Computers offline

Taking that idea one further: Solar powered AND acts as a repeater! That way I could extend my sensors down my unwired 200 yard long driveway.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 am
johnpolasek offline

Different Computers wrote:
Taking that idea one further: Solar powered AND acts as a repeater! That way I could extend my sensors down my unwired 200 yard long driveway.

I'm actually thinking about putting together a DIY hack to do exactly that... There are several game camera solar power supplies which are just a solar cell on top of a box holding a small 6 v sealed lead acid battery; so All I'd have to do is get a 5v regulator and USB socket to piggyback on it; And according to a post I saw yesterday on facebook, at least some of the cigarette lighter USB interfaces will operate on anything over 5.6 V (the post was wiring it up to a 9V transistor battery as a portable jump charger for a smartphone). So my only question would be how much power do any outdoor rated USB powered sensors (the Aeon 6 in 1 multisensor comes to mind, since I just happen to have one with a sick motion sensor) draw while on USB power? Would I need a 5 or 15 watt panel during the winter?

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:10 am
roussell offline

I like the solar idea, one could probably just plug something like this into the mutlisensor; with it's capacity, it could probably power two or three if they were close enough.

https://www.amazon.com/X-DRAGON-10000mAh-Portable-Charger-Android/dp/B0126L5KAA

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:30 am
johnpolasek offline

Likely to depend on how rapidly the solar cells can replenish the battery relative to how much power the multisensor is drawing, but at that price I've got one on order and will set it up on the surplus multisensor once it comes in; given that it's the snortest day of the year in a week or so, I should know pretty quick whether the charger can keep up with the drain.

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:01 pm
dbm offline

It's been a few months so I thought I'd restart the discussion... there's now a new Insteon "Second Generation" motion sensor: http://www.insteon.com/new-motion-sensor

But it's not yet shipping (soon, supposedly). So it looks like the best current choice may still be the Aeotech MultiSensor 6 http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor

Is that still the best choice for a wired indoor/outdoor motion sensor? Or is there something else that may be new and actually available that I may be missing?