Hardware spec to run Indigo and Security Spy

Posted on
Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:30 pm
chaines offline

Hardware spec to run Indigo and Security Spy

Hi

Been tinkering with Indigo trial and Security Spy on my personal Mac Mini workstation, but now looking to take the plunge and get a dedicated Mac Mini. Intention is to run up to 8 x 2Mp IP cameras on Security Spy and automate lights, irrigation caddy, pool with Indigo.

From what I read Security Spy will be the biggest load, and Indigo should not use too much. Have to shop second hand as the budget for the two software packages, cameras, z-wave devices is adding up fast. Looking at 2012 Quad Core i7 as the basis, can upgrade hard rive and ram myself.

Should that be sufficient?

Cheers

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 pm
jfeger offline

Re: Hardware spec to run Indigo and Security Spy

chaines wrote:
Hi

Been tinkering with Indigo trial and Security Spy on my personal Mac Mini workstation, but now looking to take the plunge and get a dedicated Mac Mini. Intention is to run up to 8 x 2Mp IP cameras on Security Spy and automate lights, irrigation caddy, pool with Indigo.

From what I read Security Spy will be the biggest load, and Indigo should not use too much. Have to shop second hand as the budget for the two software packages, cameras, z-wave devices is adding up fast. Looking at 2012 Quad Core i7 as the basis, can upgrade hard rive and ram myself.

Should that be sufficient?

Cheers

I'd probably sort through this via the Security Spy forums. I am running Security Spy and Indigo on the same machine, and you are correct, the load comes from Security Spy. I'm only running two camera streams at the moment, but I am running them at either 720p or 1080p, which is probably not needed. :). The server load is roughly 20-30% most of the time, and I think My streams are 4-6Mbps each. I'm on an i7, and I think it's a couple years old. My guess is that you'll be OK, but I'd check the Security Spy specs to be sure.

FYI - I also run a Plex server and Sonos from the same i7.

Page 1 of 1