Planning Process Question

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:41 pm
jwbohrer offline

Planning Process Question

I'm in the beginning stages of planning to improve my home automation system, which is currently just a Vivint Alarm System with the connected thermostat and camera addition. Its a z-wave system and I've been looking at Indigo for a while to tie into my XBMC/Kodi system to dim the lights and close the curtain in my theater when a movie starts but started more seriously moving when I got an Amazon Echo and it just triggered a desire to work at it.

So I'm evaluating two options as my contract with Vivint ends.

First, to continue with Vivint (or an alternative alarm provider such as SuretyDIY) and just add the Indigo system as a side by side system to run everything that isn't alarm related. This is things like the garage door, the theater add-ons, a motion sensing doorbell system, an automatic outlet to turn on a hot-chocolate machine...things like that.

Or, second option is to try to use the Indigo system as my only option (perhaps with the DSC plugin).

I really like the capability of the Vivint system to automatically uplpoad video when the alarm is triggered, and don't want to lose the "monitored" alarm system for a "self-monitored" system, but that is probably my only "must-have"--that the alarm is a monitored one.

One drawback to having two separate systems is that, as I understand it, devices can't be linked to multiple controllers, so I couldn't have the front door z-wave Vivint lock also controlled by the Indigo system, or vice versa.

Cost isn't the most important factor, but I could justify an outlay upfront, for a DSC system for instance, by the need to not buy as many new sensors and the money I would save from not paying for Vivint--currently about $70/month.

Thoughts on what the best option might be with the capabilities of Indigo?

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:17 pm
durosity offline

Re: Planning Process Question

I'd recommend against having two separate systems, all that'll happen is you'll get frustrated with having two completely unrelated systems as you're right it's very hard/impossible to get one of them to act as a secondary controller (this may change with the forthcoming indigo 7 but I doubt it)

If I were you I would go with the DSC system which is what I've done. Just to make you aware though that it does NOT work with the new Neo system as DSC have effectively blocked out 3rd party API functionality, so you'd want to get a (still supported) PC1864 board and use that.

As for cameras you could get SecuritySpy and use that to trigger recordings via indigo from pretty much any trigger indigo can process, including those on the DSC side of things.

I'd also recommend you went with wires DSC motion sensors if possible. The wireless ones have a automatic shutdown when there's too much motion.. causes issues with triggers in indigo.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1